Playing music off of SDXC card?

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Let me put you at ease in that case. You didn't check it after you rebooted (if indeed you did).

And yes, all the above seems ridiculous. And that's because it is.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me put you at ease in that case. You didn't check it after you rebooted (if indeed you did).

And yes, all the above seems ridiculous. And that's because it is.

I hear what you're saying but I'm almost positive the mapped SD card remained in my library locations after a reboot. Admittedly I DON'T think I then added music and checked if the music app updated.

Honestly, you'd think MS would have got this sorted out by now, especially given the fact that most everyone will be using the microSD as storage for media.

Would it be possible to list all of these steps for doing the VHD and mounting via script and Task Scheduler in one post? Maybe we could then get a moderator to sticky it to the top of the Windows 8 tablet forums (as I'm guessing it affects all, not just the Surface?) so everyone can benefit?

I for one would be grateful to be able to refer back when I get a subsequent tablet.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you're saying but I'm almost positive the mapped SD card remained in my library locations after a reboot. Admittedly I DON'T think I then added music and checked if the music app updated.

Honestly, you'd think MS would have got this sorted out by now, especially given the fact that most everyone will be using the microSD as storage for media.

Would it be possible to list all of these steps for doing the VHD and mounting via script and Task Scheduler in one post? Maybe we could then get a moderator to sticky it to the top of the Windows 8 tablet forums (as I'm guessing it affects all, not just the Surface?) so everyone can benefit?

I for one would be grateful to be able to refer back when I get a subsequent tablet.

The mappings survive a reboot if you use the winsupersite approach. I just rebooted and checked, my library links to the SD card mounted into a directory in C:\users\me were there.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The mapping of course survive a reboot - that's what they're supposed to do. But look in your indexed locations.

The relevance is not that junction points don't work. It's that the locations are no longer indexed after a reboot.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I'd really like someone else to figure out a simpler way. Or ideally "app" it and then publicly make fun of MS that they had to do it (if it's negative press, there shouldn't be any problems having it being picked up by the Mactard tech-press-at-large). Because the steps are ridiculous and in general Microsoft needs to work on this whole Music and storage mess. Stat.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The mapping of course survive a reboot - that's what they're supposed to do. But look in your indexed locations.

The relevance is not that junction points don't work. It's that the locations are no longer indexed after a reboot.

Ahh, that's what I was misunderstanding. Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully by the time I purchase another tablet this might have been rectified.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, so here's a quick sequence as a guide:

Format SD card as NTFS: How to Reformat an SD Card Into NTFS | eHow.com

Create VHD to fill it: Create and Use a Virtual Hard Disk on Windows 7

Mount and create folders in VHD (Documents, Music, etc) and Add them to Library : Include folders in a library

Create script(s) to mount VHD at startup: Windows 7: Auto-Mount VHDs at Startup ? martin w. angler
While creating the scheduled task (or edit it afterwards) make sure Execute only on AC Power is ticked OFF.
Those not familiar with accessing system functions in RT desktop, "Win+X" is your friend.

Then make sure the new Documents, Music, etc are being indexed by going into "Indexing Options" in Control Panel. When you mounted the VHD and added the folders to the library, those folders should have been added automatically to the Indexed Locations.

Now, reboot the Surface. First, check the VHD mounted automatically (i.e. you see the drive you assigned to the VHD in Explorer). Second, go back into Indexing Options and make sure the folders are still there. This means that they'll continue to be indexed correctly.

To get content on your Surface here on in, it may be easier to use Homegroups or activate the SERVER service in services.msc and share those folders on the VHD. You can Google more on those.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how many times I have to say the mappings do stick through a reboot and that's not the problem. Look in your Indexed Items.

yes they are also still in the four libraries as well. indexed items shows the library folders are indexed. I got what you said the very first time. maybe you didn't follow the directions?

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    129.6 KB · Views: 6

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
yes they are also still in the four libraries as well. indexed items shows the library folders are indexed. I got what you said the very first time. maybe you didn't follow the directions?

The library folders physically on the c: drive will be indexed, but those using the aliases won't.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
^^^^yup these guys know what they are talking about, but for the average joe this is going to be impossible for them to do. Hopefully MS fixes indexing so we don't have to do this massive workaround that does not cause normal people's heads to explode.
Microsoft need to resolve this ASAP. I have never had problems with micro SD card on my Android tablet.
I am still having problems getting a 64GB micro SD card working. I do not have the time at the moment to try and resolve an issue that should
not exist, I find it much easier to just use the USB port.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism