Miscellaneous Tips Exchange

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey there! Since it seems that Microsoft may have let some of us down in terms of documentation, I wanted to compile a list of some "tips and tricks". Please share yours here as well. I'll eventually make this thread a guide of sorts.

General:
- The charm bar is your friend. Many settings are now located here. To open it, swipe from the right.

- Some apps use a secondary bar on the top or bottom. Simply swipe from the top or bottom to open up some other menus.

App Management:
- Dislike pulling recent apps from the left? Would you rather have just the recent apps list appear instead? In settings, go to General, turn "When I swipe from the left edge..." off.

- If you are still default swipe from the left, you can swipe from the left then stay near the left to open up the list of recent apps.

Keyboard-less Tips:
- Want to take a screenshot? Just press and hold the Windows hardware button and then press Volume Down (on the left side of the device). As with the method described above, screen captures go in the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library. Nice! (via power5)

Anyone knows if:

- Can you make the keyboard standard? ie. Top rows of keys numbers, or at least the secondary keyboard like this?

- Can you close apps in the "Recent Apps" with just touch?

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
For screen shots:

Ed Bott tells me that Surface RT (or any UEFI-based Windows RT device) can take screenshots without an external keyboard. Just press and hold the Windows hardware button and then press Volume Down (on the left side of the device). As with the method described above, screen captures go in the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library. Nice!

jetbo

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
There are 4 ways I found to close apps. CTRL alt del, alt f4, grab an app at the top center and drag to bottom or hover top left corner to app switcher and right click close over them.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There are 4 ways I found to close apps. ... grab an app at the top center and drag to bottom ...

I've got this to only work once. Perhaps I was doing it wrong. I'll try again.

EDIT: I was able to grab an app from the task switcher pane and drag it off ONLY if I was in a Metro app - It did not work on the Start Menu.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey there! Since it seems that Microsoft may have let some of us down in terms of documentation, I wanted to compile a list of some "tips and tricks". Please share yours here as well. I'll eventually make this thread a guide of sorts.

General:
- The charm bar is your friend. Many settings are now located here. To open it, swipe from the right.

- Some apps use a secondary bar on the top or bottom. Simply swipe from the top or bottom to open up some other menus.

App Management:
- Dislike pulling recent apps from the left? Would you rather have just the recent apps list appear instead? In settings, go to General, turn "When I swipe from the left edge..." off.

- If you are still default swipe from the left, you can swipe from the left then stay near the left to open up the list of recent apps.

Keyboard-less Tips:
- Want to take a screenshot? Just press and hold the Windows hardware button and then press Volume Down (on the left side of the device). As with the method described above, screen captures go in the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library. Nice! (via power5)

Anyone knows if:

- Can you make the keyboard standard? ie. Top rows of keys numbers, or at least the secondary keyboard like this?

- Can you close apps in the "Recent Apps" with just touch?

Thanks for the app management tip, like the app list much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb