Micro sd slot not reading cards

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys I need some help. Just received my surface rt and got it set up and running. When I went ahead and popped in my microsdxc 64gb sandisk card I got a notification with the three standard options, I pressed do nothing. When I went inside my computer I could not see the sd card. So I popped the sd card into a usb reader and hooked that up to the surface and it worked fine. I can see the card. Ive been trying with two different micro sd cards in the slot and now I don't get a notification when it goes in nor does it show up. I did a fresh reinstall of the surface rt and that doesn't work either. I talked to a support guy and he had didn't have anything helpful to say other than it seems like iam going to have to send it back in the mail, than after they receive it wait 3-5 days to get another one. Yeah I don't wana do that and wait a few weeks to get a new one. Any ideas? My last option is to go to a near by pop up store and try and exchange it.....

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys I need some help. Just received my surface rt and got it set up and running. When I went ahead and popped in my microsdxc 64gb sandisk card I got a notification with the three standard options, I pressed do nothing. When I went inside my computer I could not see the sd card. So I popped the sd card into a usb reader and hooked that up to the surface and it worked fine. I can see the card. Ive been trying with two different micro sd cards in the slot and now I don't get a notification when it goes in nor does it show up. I did a fresh reinstall of the surface rt and that doesn't work either. I talked to a support guy and he had didn't have anything helpful to say other than it seems like iam going to have to send it back in the mail, than after they receive it wait 3-5 days to get another one. Yeah I don't wana do that and wait a few weeks to get a new one. Any ideas? My last option is to go to a near by pop up store and try and exchange it.....

No offense but it would sound like the support person had something very helpful to say. If no cards work in the slot then you are looking at a hardware issue. If it is just one SDXC card, I would be inclined to ask if it is a major brand or some off brand product? My Nikon D7000 will not read or write to some cards and Nikon is very clear that there can be issues outside of the tested brands. In this case though, it seems as if you are describing an issue with multiple cards which takes hardware problem to the top of the list.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You have to format your SD card as NTFS from a card reader.

They come in exFAT because they are meant for cameras. RT cannot read exFAT.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I formatted two cards to ntfs and still doesn't read. I did a fresh reinstall and nothing. Iam going to make my way to a local pop up store and hope they can exchange. I really don't want to wait a couple weeks to get a working one.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just exchanged it at a local pop up store. Amazing service and they even gave me a free power adapter. So if anyone is having any issues with their surface, and you purchased it online. You can go to a store and exchange it.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Spoke too soon. This one has a dead pixel. :/ back to the store. So far iam 0-2, these are the risks of early adopters. I think I might just wait for the pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss