10-17-2013 06:46 PM
119 12345
tools
    So far no problems on my end. This thing is made in china so expect some devices to be faulty.
    FYI, many things are made in China now. Even iPhones and iPads are made in China. ;)
    10-29-2012 05:52 PM
    that's strange considering so many reviews and the unit i 'test drove' at the pop up store were able to be set to 2mp (front) and 8mp (rear).
    I believe the unit you test drove at the store is Asus Vivo RT tablet. Not Microsoft Surface RT. I can confirm Asus RT tablet has 8mp (rear) and 2mp (front). I already talked to a Microsoft Store techinician and he said Microsoft advertise the camreas (Front and Rear) to be 720p camera. I tested some in-store Surface RT tablets and they all show 1MP in the Settings. I think Surface RT only come with 1MP camera both front and back.

BTW, Asus Vivo RT tablet's camera seem to have Auto-focus feature too...
    10-29-2012 05:59 PM
    -Crackly speakers
    this part, I have to ask because I get the crackle sound if i crank up the volume (if i don't the volume is just too low) is the crackle normal? or should i get it exchanged? the reason i ask is because my left speak sounds fine, the right one is the one that makes static noise and occasionally crackle, does it exist on all Surface (so i guess it's normal if that the case) ?

i love the thing though, showed my family and they loved it, my sis was pushing my mom to get one lol

haven't had any other problems that the other posts have been suggesting though, i've tried sending all sorts of things to XBox and worked fine, only thing that was annoying was if i use ie on xbox through smartglass i can't enter foreign language on surface's keyboard
    10-29-2012 06:48 PM
    My first unit had a faulty internal speaker/microphone. I took it back to the Microsoft Store and had it replaced. It took a half hour including them validating the problem and setting up the new one and testing before I left. Easy.

New unit runs perfectly. Surface isn't perfect though... I would like to see Silverlight support, and to have SIMPLE control over the Flash whitelist (since I know of a complicated way of controlling it).

I'm sure they could release updates to address any performance issues that people are seeing. I haven't encountered very many yet, but I've seen a few buggy apps and lag updating the People Hub.

Overall, I'm happy I bought it, and I feel it will satisfy 75-80% of my computing needs... work and personal. The Surface Pro will no doubt get me to the 100% mark.
    10-29-2012 06:56 PM
    first off, I LOVE the Surface. One of the best devices ever owned by me. That said:

-I get a weird drone sometimes from the speakers, like lag or something

-No music/video metadata fixing (this thing really just needs Zune, the old interface was plenty touch friendly and was a no compromise approach) Overall, the music/video experience is the worst part of the tablet which it shouldn't be because (IMO) Zune was the best media management app I had used and they have full ability to make that same program.

-no podcast support (slapdash is badass though)

-apps going into their snap view is slow, ripped music for which I previously got a neat zune experience now can't even get me a cool background when playing.

-mouse part of touchcover can be a bit weak. two finger scrolling has a tendency to stop working

-live tiles for music are pretty bland, no excuse considering how well they work on the phone.

-AND I HATE THE INABILITY TO DO SINGLE COLUMNS. the tile dragging is awful, I should be able to leave gaps if I want, have 3 columns if I want, it's not flippin' rocket science here and it turns organizing your tiles into a game more complex than Braid.
    Last edited by VidJuhEffex; 10-29-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I was too harsh
    10-29-2012 07:31 PM
    I've been using my surface as my only computer since launch, I love it.

There have only been a select few games that still lag after performing updates; dodo gogo, and cut the rope, for example) and yet, games like hydro thunder work perfectly even at full settings... I don't think the surface is underpowered. I also don't get lag or speaker crackle with multiple apps open in the background (or in a any other instances)

The device works really well, very few quirks. My wish list:
    Touchcover auto correct. Come on. Computers have been doing this for years (the on screen even does it for gods sake). Why can't the touch cover fix my mistakes?
    Smooth trackpad scrolling. It isn't awful, but it needs improvement. I want my long web pages to continue sliding when I flick the trackpad. And fix the curser lag after scrolling.

That's about it on my end, I haven't really been experiencing any other annoyances.
    10-29-2012 09:00 PM
    It's running on a Tegra 3. I consider that a crap chip for phones, no idea why Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to run the Surface on it.
    BrandonMills likes this.
    10-29-2012 09:38 PM
    Ok so I figured I would start a thread of known issues here that I have read either here or on other forums. If anyone knows a fix or has experienced this they can post their stories.

1. Touch cover not working. ( I have only had this happen once so far)
    2. Micro SD. Surface does not always read the card.
    3. Sending media to other devices doesn't seem to work.
    4. When the screen is off, the surface will not properly play music.
    (if you let surface sit while playing music and the screen goes black. It will start skipping and or stopping music all together. Screen must be forced to stay on the entire time.)
    5. Xbox music App randomly shuts down.

Besides these issues. I have still loved my overall experience with the surface. While I feel most issues could be fixed with patches. The SD reader issue I am not so sure if it is hardware or software.

2. Follow this guide to get proper SD card support (http://lifehacker.com/5788839/how-to...s-7s-libraries)

>> Get flash on any website. instruction here (Flash on Any Website in IE10 Metro Browser (WIN 8 & WIN RT) - xda-developers)
    10-29-2012 09:53 PM
    It's running on a Tegra 3. I consider that a crap chip for phones, no idea why Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to run the Surface on it.
    They should have put in a Qualcomm S4 Quad core, but I presume it wasn't ready or available during the Surface's development.

And Samsung's Exynos, that only goes into Samsung devices.
    10-29-2012 10:00 PM
    Hey guys, just thought I'd throw my two cents in and just let you all know that I love this little bugger (my Surface with blue TouchCover). I have been surfing the web, browsing my SkyDrive docs, played with a few apps, and only a couple of times have I had to wait more than three seconds for something to happen. I've been reading around the interwebs that video playback is not good and music is junky but I just got done watching GoPro's latest video in 1080P and it was smooth as butter ( ).

Also, it may seem small to most but when I got home on Friday I remembered that I needed to print some stuff for the upcoming election and noticed that my Surface already had my wireless printer and Blu-ray players setup and ready to go. I just clicked print within Word and sure enough it just worked. I have a TF300T Asus tablet and that thing looks like a brick compared to my Surface.

I must say that I'm really impressed and if this is the first generation device, I can't wait to see what a fourth generation device looks like (in whatever manifestation it may be such as ARM, x86, or Super-Jelly-Rocket-Pockets). Two thumbs up in my book, not to mention the wave of Apps that are going to come to Windows just due to the sheer size of the Windows ecosystem.

Regards,

Jeremiah N.
    Three Dog likes this.
    10-29-2012 10:50 PM
    Bingo. Tegra 3 was already slower than iPad 2 if I remember correctly.

I'm satisfied with my Surface, and I'm happy I got it, but you need to know that this is the 'iPad 1' of Surface hardware. If you're bleeding edge, you know this kinda stuff already.
    10-29-2012 11:04 PM
    I'm happy with Surface. The performance has been fine for me. But then again, I don't have an iPad to compare it to. I only have a Kindle Fire and an older Android tablet.

But being able to use Office on this makes it just so much cooler than everything out there.

I'm sure I could be more critical if I wanted to be. But I'm happy. And I'm happy being happy.
    10-29-2012 11:19 PM
    They should have put in a Qualcomm S4 Quad core, but I presume it wasn't ready or available during the Surface's development.
    Is that really such a big deal? I understand they pack these devices tightly inside, but would it have been so hard for them to just switch in the S4 Pro? I say this because we see many devices in the world of Android being updated to a "plus" version with new internals and identical exterior designs.
    10-29-2012 11:22 PM
    been having a funky problem with the message hub that it disconnects and I can't re-connect.
    I had this happen to me in the Release Preview for awhile. You have to uninstall that suite of apps and then reinstall. I was never sure why it did this.

Note: Just got done reading the first page so someone may have answered this already.

On to issues: I have yet to experience any real issues with the device (knock on wood). It can drop frames when swiping through apps sometimes but that's about it. MS said they would have an update out for performance issues soon.

Another small thing I did notice and other people have seens this is that the volume will randomly mute. It's only happened twice on mine and people are speculating it may have something to do with the touch cover which works excellently by the way.
    10-29-2012 11:34 PM
    no, it wasn't. i wasn't at best buy, and am familiar with the differences between the vivo and the surface...and own the surface. i was at a microsoft pop up "holiday" store when i was playing with one of the many surface rt units on display there.

I believe the unit you test drove at the store is Asus Vivo RT tablet. Not Microsoft Surface RT. I can confirm Asus RT tablet has 8mp (rear) and 2mp (front). I already talked to a Microsoft Store techinician and he said Microsoft advertise the camreas (Front and Rear) to be 720p camera. I tested some in-store Surface RT tablets and they all show 1MP in the Settings. I think Surface RT only come with 1MP camera both front and back.

BTW, Asus Vivo RT tablet's camera seem to have Auto-focus feature too...
    10-29-2012 11:41 PM
    ...but since a restart takes about 10 minutes I'm hesitant because all I wanna do is play all day. and if I was in lecture and this happened, obviously I would just have to sit there and not take notes for 10 minutes while my ipad companions point and laugh.
    10 minutes to restart? Take that thing back. It should be under 30 seconds. No computer requires ten minutes to start up now days. You can launch a nuclear missile in less time. If you're being serious and not embellishing, I'd seriously consider returning that device and getting a new one.
    10-29-2012 11:58 PM
    I'm almost positive they said it would support micro sdxc. That came out of panos panay's mouth at launch, with his shanghai story of having 10 movies on it, if i am not mistaken.

Yeah

"microSDXC card slot"

pulled straight off of the site just now. But it only supports up to 64gb. Again I would only go with reputable manufacturers, since they have better quality control. And again faster the card the better for movies and music.

***not to get off subject but you guys JUST HAVE to try the speech control, it's freaking on point. Amazing feature as long as there is not a lot of ambient noise.
    What is speech control and how do I try it?
    10-29-2012 11:58 PM
    how does it handle the web? I'm using an HP Touchpad and I have issues with it not loading websites every so often.
    Web browsing is butter and the ability to move backward and forward through web pages by swiping left and right cannot be overstated.

I also just listened to about 25 minutes of music with the screen off and touch cover closed. No stutters or lag. So, considering all devices aren't having these problems we can assume most are software or firmware related and will be fixed in short order. For those few that are hardware related, only a return will take care of that.
    Last edited by Wyn6; 10-30-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    10-29-2012 11:59 PM
    how does it handle the web? I'm using an HP Touchpad and I have issues with it not loading websites every so often.
    Web browsing is butter and the ability to move backward and forward through web pages by swiping left and right cannot be overstated.

I also just listened to about 25 minutes of music with the screen off and touch cover closed. No stutters or lag. So, considering all devices aren't having these problems we can assume most are software or firmware related and will be fixed in short order. For those few that are hardware related, only a return will take care of that.
    10-30-2012 12:12 AM
    Is that really such a big deal? I understand they pack these devices tightly inside, but would it have been so hard for them to just switch in the S4 Pro? I say this because we see many devices in the world of Android being updated to a "plus" version with new internals and identical exterior designs.
    I'm not really sure, can someone answer this?

I mean, there must be a reason most of the other RT tablets use a Tegra 3 too. I don't think any used a TI OMAP (plus they said they're going to stop making them) and I think only one Dell tablet said it was going to use a Qualcomm Snapdragon, though the specs on the site said Qualcomm S3, which I don't think is correct.
    AngryNil likes this.
    10-30-2012 01:20 AM
    I've had a couple of issues so far; the keyboard doesn't work first time and sometimes I need to connect it 5 times before keystrokes are registered. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. The WiFi worked great at home, took the device to work and no networks were detected, I had to restart the Surface before the networks appeared . Apart from that the device is awesome.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-30-2012 06:12 AM
    Didn't realise the chipsets for announced RT devices were that restricted, alpine. I don't think it would be impossible on a software/driver level to integrate the S4 Pro, though.

I think it's crazy it actually runs on a Tegra 3. Just an Engadget Mobile podcast or two ago Myriam Joire was gushing over how the Note II (I think it was the note) allows you to have two apps on screen at once, granted from a limited selection of apps. Yet the Note II has far more processing power than the Surface.
    10-30-2012 06:58 AM
    New gripes. Again, I love the form factor of my surface, but I'm getting enough little things that now I'm seriously contemplating using my 14-day return privilege.

Last night I charged it to 100% right before going to sleep around midnight. I got up at 7AM.

The battery was at 74%. That's WAY too much battery use while in sleep mode. My android devices and apple devices (yes, I have both) will use about 3-5% overnight with Bluetooth off and wifi on checking email in the background.

On wakeup, the built-in mail utility takes forever to get going. I had notifications of emails and opened up the built in mail app and it took a good two minutes for the tablet to finally "show up" in the inbox. This is coming from an exchange server. Again, my android and ios devices are pretty much instantaneous. The mail and browser functions are, frankly, the single two most important things for me with battery performance close behind.

Has anyone else tested their battery drain and have sluggish mail performance?
    10-30-2012 07:22 AM
    My only gripe or issue - the backside gets covered with finger prints and smears!

There is one app that slows things down which is the accuweather app. Other than that, everything seems buttery smooth!! mail music calendar...all built in apps or come with apps seems just fine! Battery appears to be ok too, but I never like timed it, but I have played with it a lot and do not think the battery is draining super fast!
    10-30-2012 07:40 AM
    Really liking the experience of using my Surface, but having problems with connecting both my Touch and Type covers. Will connect a few times in a row, but then not connect again for several tries. I have tried:

"Refresh My PC" option
    Reinstalling keyboard drivers
    Hard Reset
    Factory Reset
    Swabbing the contacts of the device and covers with rubbing alcohol

Nothing really seems to be improving. Any suggestions? I'd hate to go without the device for the time it takes for a repair/replacement.
    10-30-2012 09:11 AM
119 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD