Surface- The issues

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine has a dead pixel right off the center of the screen. I did not want to go back to the store today but I have to.

I'm disappointed in the performance of the device as well. Wifi wouldn't stay connected, touch cover kept losing connection (if you watch a video in full screen, you need to take touch cover off and on afterwards.. Really Panos? You never have to take touch cover off?), games don't work (LAG!), speakers crackle if you have more than one app open... I'm going to exchange mine, but I really considered just getting my money back. A device this expensive should work better. Did Microsoft blatantly lie about the usability of this thing or did everybody just get defective units?

I don't think MS blatantly lied about anything. You probably received a defective unit and are clearly not happy about that, which is understandable.

I am not sure why you need to take the touch cover off when you watch a full screen video. I have been watching full screen videos on HULU, Netflix and HBO GO and never had to take the cover off.

Like most other folks in here, I think that there are a few quirks which are all fixable.

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am loving my Surface so much right now, and like most others have said, I haven't been able to put it down.

I do have a few minor issues, that I am hoping are able to be fixed with a few updates.

1. At times, the performance can become very sluggish. I don't have many apps downloaded, and I tend to swipe down and close them when I am finished using them. I hope Microsoft can release an update that will better optimize the system.

2. I am pretty disappointed that I have such little space, I have 16.1GB left with only a few apps downloaded. I know the OS takes up a lot of space, but I didn't anticipate THAT much. I read early reviews saying the Surface had ~20GB of free space on first start up, so I was hoping that were the case. Does anyone know if I delete Office RT if I am able to download it again at some point? I like how the App Store on iOS lets you redownload apps that you've already purchased.

3. I am glad I didn't shell out extra money for a 64GB MicroSDXC card just yet after reading all of these issues with them, I'm hoping that again is another software update.

4. I noticed that under my kickstand where the Windows logo is, their was a scuff mark, or something in the middle of the logo! I know I didn't even touch that part of my tablet, and it wont even come off which is super annoying!

Other than those minor hiccups, I love this tablet, and it's easily the best tablet that I've ever owned. So much better than my iPad, and Motorola Xoom tablet. Microsoft has a winner, I just hope they're able to fix these issues.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
For some reason the thing will just mute itself out of no where when I'm using the touch cover. Then also unmute.

XBox music will all of a sudden play only 30 seconds of music out of the blue. It also plays ads when I'm listening to my own music :mad:

Manic4Mobile

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have run windows update and received the updates

I noticed right away that there were updates for windows RT available and the Xbox Music app also had an update that seemed to help. So far the Xbox music app has seemed to be the most problematic for me, but I don't know if it's due to my having one of the 10-songs/month Zune subscriptions. The first thing it wanted to do when opening it was to download all of my purchased music to the surface and it made it very sluggish as it was downloading songs. I decided to let it sit and do it's thing and it was much better the next day. Btw, the updates take much longer than on a normal desktop PC, I'm guessing that's due to the mobile processor. The 580+MB office update was terribly long, but I was able to do other stuff while that ran in the background for well over an hour I'd guess (I gave up watching it so not really sure.)

Overall, I love my surface RT. While some apps aren't available yet, I've been able to access their websites instead (Banking, SiriusXM Satellite streaming via the desktop browser, etc.)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How old is your router?
Wait does age of router mean anything? I have three WiFi networks in my house so I have coverage everywhere inside and one of my routers is really old cause I found it in my dads work warehouse. Its blazingly fast and works with my 2 year old laptop and year old desktop that I built. My phone and Zune also work with it but my Surface does not. What could be the problem?

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think MS blatantly lied about anything. You probably received a defective unit and are clearly not happy about that, which is understandable.

I am not sure why you need to take the touch cover off when you watch a full screen video. I have been watching full screen videos on HULU, Netflix and HBO GO and never had to take the cover off.

Like most other folks in here, I think that there are a few quirks which are all fixable.

A lot of people here experiencing some pretty big usability issues. I know that these quirks are fixable but when you use the word "perfect" over and over in the launch keynote... it makes me wonder.

When I would pull up a video in fullscreen and close it, my mouse would no longer show up. After the system update, I've not experienced that problem again.

My third surface + free touch cover is treating me quite well :p. Love this thing. Hopefully the game lag is just a software problem, everything else is working great!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no space issues cause I got a 64Gb. I have a crapload of apps installed and I still have over 33Gb free.

I did experience the sound skip/stutter issue. It'll get patched don't worry.

The other thing I experienced was the battery indicator saying I had no battery plugged in....funny it was still running! I restarted and it was fine. That is a bug that will get patched too.

You are lucky you have a tablet from a software company, not a bull****ting company.

RedLine78

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I too have Music stuttering issue when you leave the music playing and screen is turned off. It is weird...sometime it stutters at the beginning of the song, sometimes in the middle of the song.

I also have WiFi randomly losing connection but I think I fixed that issue by going in WiFi Network properties and setting Encryption type from "AES" to "TKIP". No more losing network connection to my router so far.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
okay so the start menu has been super impressive imo but im having problems with the desktop, that seems the most buggy to me, and the fact that its not really touch friendly doesn't help. anyways the one issue ive had so far is with onenote. im a student and I like taking notes on pdfs. when I had the ipad I had to jump a few hoops to get my notes onto it, and it would lag at times but there were enough 3rd party apps to make it work well. I was excited about onenote but so far its been a disappointment. onenote itself as a program is pretty amazing, but with an arm processor it takes about an hour or 2 just to upload 60 pages of pdf slides with the surface. when I finally got it uploaded, I closed onenote, and now its bugging out and wont open, and requesting I restart the surface, which I will do shortly, but since a restart takes about 10 minutes I'm hesitant because all I wanna do is play all day. and if I was in lecture and this happened, obviously I would just have to sit there and not take notes for 10 minutes while my ipad companions point and laugh. the desktop for the surface needs a facelift and some optimization. need more 3rd party apps too like a more efficient pdf reader and note taking application; any recommendations?

p-s this my first time actually typing with the touchcover so sorry about any missed caps or misspellings.

rbf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I figured I would start a thread of known issues here that I have read either here or on other forums. If anyone knows a fix or has experienced this they can post their stories.

1. Touch cover not working. ( I have only had this happen once so far)
2. Micro SD. Surface does not always read the card.
3. Sending media to other devices doesn't seem to work.
4. When the screen is off, the surface will not properly play music.
(if you let surface sit while playing music and the screen goes black. It will start skipping and or stopping music all together. Screen must be forced to stay on the entire time.)
5. Xbox music App randomly shuts down.

Besides these issues. I have still loved my overall experience with the surface. While I feel most issues could be fixed with patches. The SD reader issue I am not so sure if it is hardware or software.
I know on my surface I had to take it OFF power saving while having the mini HD adaptor hooked up to my AVReciever listening to music. When it would go into the conserve power mode the sound would revert back to surface only... when I turn off the power saving it never shuts off...

I have had the xbox app get a bit flakey also... I got a win8rt error which as me if I wanted to send an alert to MS and I did. Then I restarted the RTOS and when it started back up it was installing an update... I assumed the MS error report prompted a patch update (?) I tell myself to remember this is not only a NEW OS release but a new pc. of hardware... and I need to give MS a few weeks to rec. problm errors and start to figure a few things out. Over all I am very impressed with overall performance. ~ rbf

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem with my touch cover. I don't know what I did but starting a few hours ago, when I press my quote and question mark key, they output as: ?. Also, the backwards slash key now outputs as this: ?. Some other keys are doing this too. Does anyone know how I can fix this. Thanks.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with my touch cover. I don't know what I did but starting a few hours ago, when I press my quote and question mark key, they output as: ?. Also, the backwards slash key now outputs as this: ?. Some other keys are doing this too. Does anyone know how I can fix this. Thanks.

Sounds like your keyboard language was changed.

Also I haven't had any of thee issues that you guys are reporting. My touch cover works like a dream, the music app is almost flawless for me (but a tad bit slow) music always plays but I haven't tried to send vides to another device. I really need to get a micro sd card (only 10gb of 32gb left after my massive gaming spree and app install!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that some of you have so many problems. I really can't put this amazing machine down it is probably the coolest and best working thing I own currently. Everything works intuitively and all my things sync up perfectly with my pc. Just typed up a document on touch cover, super responsive and blazing fast typing. Upwards of 80 wpm. I did however immediately install all windows Rt updates then the apps updates. No performance issues yet, but as my battery was about to die I had this weird flickering. Surface was probably trying to save power or something. Once I plugged it in and charged it back up all back to normal,. Good luck everyone this thing is absolutely amazing.

how does it handle the web? I'm using an HP Touchpad and I have issues with it not loading websites every so often.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I am loving my Surface so much right now, and like most others have said, I haven't been able to put it down.

I do have a few minor issues, that I am hoping are able to be fixed with a few updates.

1. At times, the performance can become very sluggish. I don't have many apps downloaded, and I tend to swipe down and close them when I am finished using them. I hope Microsoft can release an update that will better optimize the system.

2. I am pretty disappointed that I have such little space, I have 16.1GB left with only a few apps downloaded. I know the OS takes up a lot of space, but I didn't anticipate THAT much. I read early reviews saying the Surface had ~20GB of free space on first start up, so I was hoping that were the case. Does anyone know if I delete Office RT if I am able to download it again at some point? I like how the App Store on iOS lets you redownload apps that you've already purchased.

3. I am glad I didn't shell out extra money for a 64GB MicroSDXC card just yet after reading all of these issues with them, I'm hoping that again is another software update.

4. I noticed that under my kickstand where the Windows logo is, their was a scuff mark, or something in the middle of the logo! I know I didn't even touch that part of my tablet, and it wont even come off which is super annoying!

Other than those minor hiccups, I love this tablet, and it's easily the best tablet that I've ever owned. So much better than my iPad, and Motorola Xoom tablet. Microsoft has a winner, I just hope they're able to fix these issues.

Microsoft states support for the SDHC standard (max of 32 GB) not the SDXC standard (max of 128 GB) so those of you complaining about your 64 GB cards not working don't blame MS - they never promised support for SDXC.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft states support for the SDHC standard (max of 32 GB) not the SDXC standard (max of 128 GB) so those of you complaining about your 64 GB cards not working don't blame MS - they never promised support for SDXC.
I'm almost positive they said it would support micro sdxc. That came out of panos panay's mouth at launch, with his shanghai story of having 10 movies on it, if i am not mistaken.

Yeah

"microSDXC card slot"

pulled straight off of the site just now. But it only supports up to 64gb. Again I would only go with reputable manufacturers, since they have better quality control. And again faster the card the better for movies and music.

***not to get off subject but you guys JUST HAVE to try the speech control, it's freaking on point. Amazing feature as long as there is not a lot of ambient noise.

stewpeanut

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
i'm also having the seemingly random muting.
also cannot change either camera resolution above 1.0mp, though was able to change to 8.0 and 2.0 on a device at the MS pop up store. not sure why i can't alter my own camera settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss