My Surface is literally DOA

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I am very disappointed and believe I received an extremely defective unit.
Initially, setup went well (though seeming sluggish even with only two apps open) but, from the get go, I could not connect to wifi if my life depended on it.
Surprisingly, it discovered more connections than my laptop, yet could not connect to my router.
I tried over and over for 1 hr hoping it'll go through, even restarted a couple times to no avail.

Finally, after trying to follow the surface help desk instructions, I tried "forgetting the network" but that option doesn't even appear when clicking and holding onto my network.
So as a last resort, I plugged my device in and rebooted from scratch. Hoping it'll reset my network settings as well.
Now, here's where the nightmare occurred. The device remained at 1% for 15 minutes.... Then it kept cycling back and forth to saying "preparing to diagnose" or something and back to "diagnosing". After 20-30 min, it lets me select to just exit and continue using RT. but all this did is cycle again to "preparing" and "diagnosing"! A vicious cycle.
I spent almost 2 hours doing this.

Pardon me for the rant but I was very excited for the Surface. This is a very disappointing experience and am definitely returning tomorrow. If this is a case of a defect, I might consider exchanging. But if this is what to expect when rebooting this device, I think it's very unreasonable. Either a huge bug or somehow it takes just as long as reformatting a regular laptop.

If anyone has tried rebooting to factory, please let me know how yours went.

What's worse is I already sold my laptop this afternoon for this as my replacement and I am not happy and now quite hesitant in owning one =(

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've read through a few of your previous post and you didn't like your 800. I guess I have to ask why you haven't tried a different OS? Just curious.

EvoFxStudio

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Initially, setup went well (though seeming sluggish even with only two apps open) but, from the get go, I could not connect to wifi if my life depended on it.
Surprisingly, it discovered more connections than my laptop, yet could not connect to my router.
I tried over and over for 1 hr hoping it'll go through, even restarted a couple times to no avail.

Finally, after trying to follow the surface help desk instructions, I tried "forgetting the network" but that option doesn't even appear when clicking and holding onto my network.
So as a last resort, I plugged my device in and rebooted from scratch. Hoping it'll reset my network settings as well.
Now, here's where the nightmare occurred. The device remained at 1% for 15 minutes.... Then it kept cycling back and forth to saying "preparing to diagnose" or something and back to "diagnosing". After 20-30 min, it lets me select to just exit and continue using RT. but all this did is cycle again to "preparing" and "diagnosing"! A vicious cycle.

Pardon me for the rant but I was very excited for the Surface. This is a very disappointing experience and am definitely returning tomorrow. If this is a case of a defect, I might consider exchanging. But if this is what to expect when rebooting this device, I think it's very unreasonable. Either a huge bug or somehow it takes just as long as reformatting a regular laptop.

What's worse is I already sold my laptop this afternoon for this as my replacement and I am not happy and now quite hesitant in owning one =(
I am sad to her that you have these problems ,, mine works perfect

not good at all , call there support
:p

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Sorry to hear your problems but it is quite obviously a defective unit. The fate of early adopters is that you will see a few more such units than those who buy later. It is obviously your choice as to whether to exchange or return but the reality is you could return and then buy a new laptop, bring it home and have it crash immediately out of the box. No production run is ever going to be perfect and you can always get that bad unit. Since 2005, I have had a defective DSLR, defective SLR lens, defective BlackBerry Playbook, an HP laptop that was serviced three times, a defective Samsung laptop, a Toshiba laptop that was serviced within weeks of purchase, three recalls for my Toyota, and probably 10 percent of the stuff I have bought at Fry's Electronics has had to be exchanged. My experience is just about on par with most people I know (actually probably better with respect to Fry's).

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife's surface is working flawlessly. In fact I'm almost pissed that I didn't get one but i'm leaning on the Sammy ATIV smart PC for work.

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I've read through a few of your previous post and you didn't like your 800. I guess I have to ask why you haven't tried a different OS? Just curious.

I have primarily been on iOS... What's that to do with my defective unit.
I don't buy these just to rant. Guess I'm just out of luck

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you were one of the unlucky few to get a defective unit. (with how high profile the Surface is, I'm sure we'd have a slew of articles if a significant number of people had an issue with it)

Good luck whatever course you take with it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa