Personal Reviews

Tomerunlocks

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

So rather then reading most blogs' reviews, which are biased, uninformative, and just plain wrong, I thought it'd be the best idea to get reviews from the actual customers. Unfortunately, I've only been with my surface for about 4 hours, so I haven't gotten to use everything, thus I will save this spot for sometime this week :) Anybody is free to put a simple or a thorough review :)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The fact that surface allows me to directly copy music/video/documents from my pc and play them is enough for me not to regret buying it. Freaking hate iOS and their sync'ing crap.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I was thinking do one (if it ever decides to arrive).

From a first time tablet owner's perspective. I've used my girlfriend's iPad 2 briefly a couple of times before but that's about it. This will be a new experience for me.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Do I like it yes, will I keep it yes, will it replace my iPad3 for reading eBooks, comics, and magazines nope. What's on the app store just sucks for now.

Should you run out and buy one it all depends on what you want to do. If you love gaming and reading digital magazines I'd say hold off a for six months. If you're into to video and office then I you wont be disappointed.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post and I was actually going to make this same thread. I have also not had a huge amount of time to really dive into the surface but played with it a good day with it. So I will post again after a few weeks of using it to, but for now I can give my initial thoughts as I have been using windows 8 preview for quite awhile to.

Let me first say I have had an iPad before this and wasn't crazy about it, as I couldn't access files and folders with it and got bored with it a lot faster than I thought I would. I just couldn't get past the constantly going through iTunes to get stuff onto my device. I realize that there is icloud but it still isn't the same. I have an iPhone to so I am well aware of the world of apple. I then got a playbook, which I know a lot might criticize but I really enjoy the device, and I will continue to use it for work as it is more portable and I only need a few things like email and the calendar for it.

I was back and forth with getting surface just because I don't have a lot of extra money so $520 is a lot to handle at once but decided to suck it up and grab it. I can honestly say I don't think I will be regretting this decision one bit! :) this device is so refreshing from other devices I have used. Having word and excel (and full versions of it) is so nice and anyone who says they can be replaced by other apps is kidding themselves. And NOTHING can replace having full access to files and folders! I love the sd slot to... yesterday I put my cameras sd card in transferred the pics onto surface and renamed the folder it was in, do that with an iPad! The other thing that I can't believe how much I missed was on the keyboard the short cuts for copy, paste, and tab are so nice. I also have no problem with the app store, it is fairly populated for first couple of days and know they will get tons more apps within the coming months. The build quality of this device is superb! And I have already used the stand way more than I thought I would, even holding the device up to watch in bed. The ratio of the screen does take a little to get used to as it is just so much wider than any of the devices we are used to but I don't mind it. As for windows 8 it seems extremely polished, but having said that I have had it crash once on me :dry and one app stuck for a very long time. I don't mind these bugs because that's the price you pay for being such an early adopter, and I know they will have updates rolling out a lot.

Sorry for the long review, but there is a lot to say about the surface and I am very excited to own this device! If you are having doubts go out and try it for yourself! I realize that people use devices differently so if you are expecting all the apps that you know and love to be there they won't, but if you want a device that is going to be the closest thing to a laptop replacement than go take a look at it!

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The fact that surface allows me to directly copy music/video/documents from my pc and play them is enough for me not to regret buying it. Freaking hate iOS and their sync'ing crap.

I was thinking the exact same thing. A couple hours ago, I want to my usenet site, grabbed a show, downloaded it to my machine, and then pushed it to my XBox. F'n incredible.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, the real test is going to be if, over the next 2 weeks (time returns are allowed), I use this more than I use my laptop (except for games obviously). I have the OG Transformer that I really liked but stopped using. I found that things like web surfing was so much better on a real computer that I always went back. Web surfing is a little slower on the Surface but the experience is about the same. Also, the touch keyboard is 10 times better than I ever thought it would be. I can type just as fast with it as I can a regular keyboard. It is also more useful on the lap with the stand than I thought it would be (a VERY big plus).

One major issue I have is IE. I use Chrome on all my other devices. I can easily access the tabs On one device that I have open on another device. Also, I have yet to find any solution for IE for Adblock on Chrome or Firefox. The extra ads I see on IE make a noticeable difference on loading times on portable devices. There are plenty of addons I have on Chrome that would be nice with IE too.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the exact same thing. A couple hours ago, I want to my usenet site, grabbed a show, downloaded it to my machine, and then pushed it to my XBox. F'n incredible.

How high of resolution can you push to the 360? That would be pretty cool to view 1080 on my tv from my surface.

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well good news and bad news.

Technically it does work. Just streamed a 1080p mp4 to my xbox.

However, it would buffer for 5 seconds every 15 seconds. Not sure if it's due to my network or the devices.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for testing! Did at least 720 run smooth?
I haven't had any of those weird video problems they had in the review. When I updated I didn't read what the updates actually did. watching youtube videos is flawless. I think apps like cut the rope need to be optimized little better.

You know I don't know if it is just me but whole interface is really nice. Browsing is typical for me because I come from a windows phone. So speeds are the same. The touch cover is probably the single greatest surprise at how good it is. I can't imagine not having this, it is awesome!!!! Just typed a 10 page legal brief and I just kind of banged it out, my hands were not fatigued and there were very few typing errors. I guess it just depends how resist to change you are. All in all I find the surface to be very very enjoyable so far!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre