Surface RT Lap Use Comments?

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems all the video's I've watched have it on a table, but I'd seldom use it that way. Hoping some owners could pass along how it is using the Surface RT with and without the keyboard sitting on a couch.

Of course, closing the stand and folding the cover back it can be hand held but what about propping it up ...

The kickstand by default seems to set the RT at a 22deg angle off vertical,
probably not the best for in your lap.

Can you use the kick stand in your lap with the RT flipped around,
so the angle would be 22deg off the horizontal,
or would the stand just close when you touch the screen ?

Any comment would be great...

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I was weary of this at first, it was my biggest gripe with the device. But after owning one and using it all night (clamshell laptop mode), on my lap (sitting and laying down). I can tell you it isn't a big deal. It stands up comfortably and at a good angle, may take some adjustments... But it's not bad.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the other posters. It's not bad and you find a way to make it work. There were times I used it like I would any other tablet (just holding it in landscape mode) and it was comfortable. Never too heavy or awkward.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guess no one really complaining so it works.

Just wondering ,
if you remove the keyboard, and try to prop it up in a horizontal landscape position with the stand open,
(180 deg rotation) does touching the RT screen, cause the stand to close?

Stormwatch342

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
the stand cant support the weight when the surface is on its back like that

as for the lap I find when I am sitting with it on my lap I have to sit up straight to use the kickstand and touch keypad properly

if I slouch I usually don't type much so end up folding the keypad under the kick stand and resting it on my stomach or legs and using all touch or fold it back if I want it in my hands.

Either way it has better positioning then my ipad 2 did. except the low decline on its back which I never really used on the ipad..

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Read complaints on reviews about using on lap. For me with kickdtand itself is not good. Using kick stand and cover pad wrapped worked well for me. I use a type pad

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am using the surface with a type cover and have absolutely no problem using the device on my lap, or even when I am laying in bed.

I don't believe that the touch cover will work very well in a non-flat type of setting.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was chatting with someone on fb last night while sitting on the couch. The touchcover worked well on my lap, very easy to use and very responsive. Maybe I had to pay a little more attention to using the left shift key, but overall it worked well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss