type or touch?

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
got the surface yesturday and I have to say that I am loving it. it does everything I need a laptop and tablet to do.

the problem is, i am typing/struggling to type this with the bundled touch cover. while it is better than the on screen keyboard, it is seriously weak in terms of accuracy. the problem is without actual keys you have a hard time feeling exactly where the keys are....

maybe I just need more practice. also, it some times doesn't register my taps, and I really have to tap down hard.

another thing that's annoying is the trackpad. on webpages, you need to wait for the page to load nearly complete before the two finger trackpad scrolling works. this isn't a problem at all if you try to scroll with the screen.

anyways, just my thoughts, anyone else have better luck with the touch cover? I am worried that this is not going to be good enough for serious work.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am really liking the Touch cover. It takes getting used to, but I am pleasantly surprised with it.

Same, I'm actually wishing Microsoft had something this this with a full Keyboard + Keypad for the desktop. Maybe something like the type cover though for longer sessions, but this is one of their strong points for me atm. Thin and efficient.

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I was actually very surprised by the touch cover. While I am not exactly a speed typist on it yet, I am improving very quickly with it.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Im loving the touch, it has exceeded my expectations. (Im typing on it now).

The only issue I have it typing complex passwords, I more have to finger peck those in.

Most of my typing is with it in my lap which is less thn ideal vs on a table. ie, rght now t's on one leg while my dogs are crowding me (see picture).

I typed this without backspacing or correcting so you can see the gfew errors from typing on 1 leg.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried out both covers at the Microsoft Store and I really disliked the Touch Cover, so I picked up a Type Cover with my Surface. Now it's essentially a laptop replacement for me instead of just a tablet replacement.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I am using the touch to type this message. Love it. Takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it you may be surprised how nice it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos