Offline access to SkyDrive files

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I turned off wireless to test this and found that the SkyDrive app does not make SkyDrive files available for offline access. This is really unacceptable!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I turned off wireless to test this and found that the SkyDrive app does not make SkyDrive files available for offline access. This is really unacceptable!

A full skydrive account is bigger than free space on a 32g Surface. Easy to see why it isn't automatically backed up. That said, would be nice to set up some way to have certain folders available offline.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's still unacceptable!

...sorry, I came into thread late and needed to be outraged even though the issue is solved.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
More like - Welcome to poorly implemented Cloud on RT by Microsoft. DropBox, SkyDrive on Windows 8 and iCloud all keep an offline copy of documents / files so they can be accessed when there no network connectivity.

The only reason they keep an offline copy is because the files originated offline and they are syncing to the cloud. This, like every other mobile OS, starts from the assumption you are connecting to the cloud to access the data. It is not the exception but is the absolute rule. Buy an Android tablet and see if you can find your remote data on it. Unless you download an app to sync the data, it is cloud resident or it is sitting on local storage but not both. Seriously, what part of SkyDrive was difficult to understand? I would think the name itself pretty much gives it away. Complaining because a cloud based service is cloud based is a major stretch of reason, to put it mildly....

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It's still unacceptable!

...sorry, I came into thread late and needed to be outraged even though the issue is solved.

It is not, I want all my pictures, videos, documents, stored on my Surface's SD card (When I get it). This is a bummer, I have to buy a pro tablet for one feature, that is nuts. Maybe just wait a year...

The only reason they keep an offline copy is because the files originated offline and they are syncing to the cloud. This, like every other mobile OS, starts from the assumption you are connecting to the cloud to access the data. It is not the exception but is the absolute rule. Buy an Android tablet and see if you can find your remote data on it. Unless you download an app to sync the data, it is cloud resident or it is sitting on local storage but not both. Seriously, what part of SkyDrive was difficult to understand? I would think the name itself pretty much gives it away. Complaining because a cloud based service is cloud based is a major stretch of reason, to put it mildly....

I use it as a cloud backup, most people I know do the same. I want to interact with the file on my machine and have it upload to cloud and download to my other machines. Worked great between my laptop and desktop, again very sad my laptop replacement will have to wait.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That would be pretty horrible considering we're dealing with 32 or 64 gigs of storage. Backing up an entire Skydrive folder would be murder. Save that for a full blown PC with over 100 GB of storage space.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That would be pretty horrible considering we're dealing with 32 or 64 gigs of storage. Backing up an entire Skydrive folder would be murder. Save that for a full blown PC with over 100 GB of storage space.

SkyDrive's limit for free is 7gb and 25gb for old timers. Syncing between an sd card would be fine. This is Windows, not an iPhone. It being RT is just to save power, thus excluding older apps (simplified explanation). MS could make it for RT if they wanted to.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
More like - Welcome to poorly implemented Cloud on RT by Microsoft. DropBox, SkyDrive on Windows 8 and iCloud all keep an offline copy of documents / files so they can be accessed when there no network connectivity.

I dont think it's a good idea to have an offline version of all your files considering the limited size of the RT device.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
SkyDrive's limit for free is 7gb and 25gb for old timers. Syncing between an sd card would be fine. This is Windows, not an iPhone. It being RT is just to save power, thus excluding older apps (simplified explanation). MS could make it for RT if they wanted to.

A 32GB surface only has about 14GB free out of the box, start downloading a few apps and it starts to disappear in a hurry. If you know you'll be needing files offline, then just manually download it off skydrive beforehand.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A 32GB surface only has about 14GB free out of the box, start downloading a few apps and it starts to disappear in a hurry. If you know you'll be needing files offline, then just manually download it off skydrive beforehand.

It is not a long thread, it shouldn't need to be repeated. This is about syncing. If I pick up my Surface in my home and do some stuff, walking around, by the time I set that down go to desktop if it was a word document, changes are there, music or video edit changes occur based on size, but over wifi are very quick. Why should I have to plug in a USB stick, drag and drop on my surface, drag and drop onto my desktop PC? MS makes the solution (SkyDrive), the OS and the hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb