Surface Brightness flickering issue?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The brightness on my surface occasionally flickers a bit and it's getting annoying. I did already disable the automatic brightness adjusting setting so it shouldn't be adjusting it's brightness anymore. I'm starting to think it's a hardware/display issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I definitely have it. I notice it most when its downloading data. I.E. loading a web page or downloading a file. It is very similar to the flickering issue I had on my nexus 7. Might be related to the wifi

taliosfalcon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We have three in the office @ work now, they all do it, with auto brightness turned off so its not that. I agree it's incredibly annoying.

Last edited:

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just curious on where to find the Auto Brightness?

Thsnks

Swipe from the right and open your charm bar on the start screen and click "Change My PC Settings". Then, go to the General section and about midway down, you'll see the option to turn it off.

Blackjack55345

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Even with auto brightness off, there is some slight flickering when scrolling around. I just noticed this today, and it's extremely subtle, but it's definitely flickering still. I find it's most notable in the "All Apps" section when scrolling back and forth, and the Photos app.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Even with auto off I see flickering at the lowest brightness level on a Vivo RT...

Update: Did some research it seems many LCD monitors use flickering of the illumination LEDs to effectively lower the brightness. It can be more noticeable on some compared to others. So that is something that will not likely change.

I also think the Asus model or Win RT in general is apply some power saving technique to based on what is on the display. I notice the backlight changes based on content. Hopefully their is a way to turn that off.

Last edited:

taliosfalcon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even with auto off I see flickering at the lowest brightness level on a Vivo RT...

Update: Did some research it seems many LCD monitors use flickering of the illumination LEDs to effectively lower the brightness. It can be more noticeable on some compared to others. So that is something that will not likely change.

I also think the Asus model or Win RT in general is apply some power saving technique to based on what is on the display. I notice the backlight changes based on content. Hopefully their is a way to turn that off.

I think you may be on to something. I've done some more testing and its as if the screen has dynamic contrast turned on (when displaying something with brighter colors the entire screens brightness turns up, when displaying a mostly dark scene the backlight gets turned on) I can be watching movies and for daylight scenes, or a dark scene with someone in a bright shirt walks in the brightness goes up, and vice versa for dark. It'll flicker up and down constantly for scenes with both. It'll also flicker when switching between tiles, but never on static images which makes me think it's by design (unfortunately) and not a hardware flaw. Either way its driving me nuts

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just fixed mine with turning auto brightness off. I like to manually control it anyways, since the control is so easy to access. I have had some flickering issues with some apps, I obviously is a software issue, I'm 100% sure MS will fix these things in a patch that will come soon. They fixed that flash/youtube problem in what like 2 weeks?

taliosfalcon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone has a terrible camera so it isn't crystal clear, but here's a video of the dynamic contrast fail microsoft seems to have built into the surface, when i bring up the task bar in IE the entire screen brightens as the other tabs make it brighter than the rest of the screen, when i remove it the screen dims

Surface rt brightness - YouTube

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I fixed it. You have to turn off "adaptive brightness" in the desktop mode control panel.

Power Options
Adjust Screen brightness
Change plan settings
Change advanced settings
Display > Enable adaptive brightness >

Turn it off for On battery and Plugged in.

Once I performed this, it carries over to Metro as well. No more dimming or random brightness adjusting.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I think you may be on to something. I've done some more testing and its as if the screen has dynamic contrast turned on (when displaying something with brighter colors the entire screens brightness turns up, when displaying a mostly dark scene the backlight gets turned on) I can be watching movies and for daylight scenes, or a dark scene with someone in a bright shirt walks in the brightness goes up, and vice versa for dark. It'll flicker up and down constantly for scenes with both. It'll also flicker when switching between tiles, but never on static images which makes me think it's by design (unfortunately) and not a hardware flaw. Either way its driving me nuts

yep, mine changed depending on the tile or image as well. Follow my tip and it'll disable it all together.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to go into computer display settings and manually turn off some dimming features that still persist in the sleep and other settings. Because it will auto dim and things start conflicting I think. So just go into display setting in desktop mode and just turn them all off, that fixed it for me. Honestly battery life still lasts me the whole day, just adjust the brightness manually since it is so easy to access from the charms bar.

taliosfalcon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We have turned all the dimming options off in the desktop power settings, dynamic contrast is different, not related to the dimming options which use the external sensors and impossible to turn off. I have another thread going @ the official MS support forums where a rep has confirmed it is a problem, and they're looking into it, but no solution/final answer as of yet. I've also gone to an ms pop up store and verified that every surface does it, if you can't see it I dunno what to tell you, you either keep the brightness cranked to the max at all times where it's not noticeable or just don't pay attention to the brightness

edit: microsoft thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...contrast/6aacc12d-63fe-46e9-98db-3be74fdfbd11

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos