Some questions before buying

impres

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm at the point where I want to get the Surface RT to be a complete replacement for my current laptop. I do all the "heavy stuff" at work, so at home I only need the occasional Word documents aside from watching movies and browsing the web - ergo the Surface RT with a touch cover will work perfectly.

However, I have some questions:

1. I'm in Norway and there's still no release date here. I'm therefore thinking about buying it from the UK. The Microsoft UK Store says three week delivery on the 32gb versions, but there are no comments on the 64gb version, which I want to get.
Are there/will there be delays with delivery of the 64gb ones? Obviously I'm looking for replies from UK residents who have already put an order in for their Surface..

2. Are there/will there be any torrent clients for the RT version? This is a must for me, so I may have to wait out for the pro version if not.

3. If you have a Surface RT already, can you please answer this:
Is it possible to change the language/layout of the keyboard? If I order from the UK I'll get with a standard English touch keyboard. However, the Norwegian alphabet has three additional letters. In any other OS, it's fully possible to manually set the language settings of the keyboard, and I'm hoping this is the case with RT as well.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be able to answer your first question, but as for number two I heard utorrent is working on a rt app, but not sure if it's just a rumor. It seems possible, but the app market is still growing so no one will know for a month or so at least. I checked the settings and it is possible o change the on screen keyboard as well.

impres

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be able to answer your first question, but as for number two I heard utorrent is working on a rt app, but not sure if it's just a rumor. It seems possible, but the app market is still growing so no one will know for a month or so at least. I checked the settings and it is possible o change the on screen keyboard as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
On-screen keyboard - check!
But can you see if you are also able to change the settings for the touch keyboard itself? Whether you can set it to another language?

Tomerunlocks

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
On-screen keyboard - check!
But can you see if you are also able to change the settings for the touch keyboard itself? Whether you can set it to another language?

Microsoft commented on this stating that they're launching in 8 countries or so where the main spoken language is English, therefore the keyboards will be in English only. Hope that helped.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well unless I'm wrong I switched my kb to Norwegian just now and this is the layout

qwertyuiop?
Asdfghjkl??
Zxcvbnm

So the keyboard does include Norwegian....

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well unless I'm wrong I switched my kb to Norwegian just now and this is the layout

qwertyuiop?
Asdfghjkl??
Zxcvbnm

So the keyboard does include Norwegian....

You did this on the Surface or desktop? I'm in the process of getting a Surface from germany so I'm also trying to fish up relevant'ish information regarding language/layout change.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hei. Yes, Norwegian Keyboard both Bokm?l and nynorsk is there. However, I don't see way of changing the language of the OS to anything but English. If Microsoft were to eventually release a Surface in Norway there would be nothing to stop you for attaching a Norwegian touch cover then.

Apps will come... I wouldn't worry about that.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It was said Win 8 RT supports language packs, meaning you could probably download the norwegian language pack to have the OS change languages too.

I just need a confirmation personally that the german model can be switched to English, then I'll buy one.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not gonna go through that much just to check but searching on a Norwegian tech site might help a little bit more! Good luck!

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I had an emergency because of Hurricane Sandy and this pad performs, period. If you need to get something done in word, excel or powerpoint you will have no problems. I used word in track changes. It displays all of the changes as well as the comments. Then I put the company's letterhead at the top, signed the document using the ink feature and converted it to .pdf and sent it t our CFO.

It is amazing. I recommend this pad to anyone that needs to be productive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers