Will any microSD card work?

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 32GB Surface and want to purchase a 64GB microSD on amazon, but will any microSD work?

I remember with WP7, it had to be a Microsoft-approved microSD card, so I wanted to make sure before I purchase one.

Thanks!

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting conflicting information. I read in another thread that the Surface RT only supports SDHC microSD cards and only up to 32 GB. Is that true? I need to know because Im planning to buy a 64GB card.

More specifically, this one:

SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB Class 10 UHS-I 30MB/S MicroSD SD SDHC SDXC Memory Card | eBay

Also, since we're talking about this, can someone confirm that a regular MicroHDMI connector will work. I remember reading that you don't actually need the adapter from Microsoft and that any MicroHDMI cord will work.

I'm planning on buying this one:

15FT 10FT 6FT 3FT Micro MicroHDMI 1.4 3D LAN *PremiumGold-Plated* Cable Adapter | eBay

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The Surface supports the micro SDXC format. There's a bit of confusion as to the largest size that works with the Surface since 64GB is the current largest size available in the micro SDXC format. However, SDXC supports much larger sizes, so when a 128GB card comes out, you'll be able to stick that in your Surface and it will work just fine.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I threw in an sd card that was probably 4 to 5 years old and was surprised that it worked really well. Can't tell you how high they will be accepted though. So far though this version of windows is extremely versatile

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting conflicting information. I read in another thread that the Surface RT only supports SDHC microSD cards and only up to 32 GB. Is that true? I need to know because Im planning to buy a 64GB card.

More specifically, this one:

SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB Class 10 UHS-I 30MB/S MicroSD SD SDHC SDXC Memory Card | eBay

Also, since we're talking about this, can someone confirm that a regular MicroHDMI connector will work. I remember reading that you don't actually need the adapter from Microsoft and that any MicroHDMI cord will work.

I'm planning on buying this one:

15FT 10FT 6FT 3FT Micro MicroHDMI 1.4 3D LAN *PremiumGold-Plated* Cable Adapter | eBay

SDHC only goes up to 32GB.

SDXC can go up to a few terabytes, but currently the max you can buy is 64gb.

And yes a micro-hdmi connector works.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Whats the difference between MicroSDXC and SDHC? When i switched to a 32GB micrSD card Amazon showed and SDHC version. Will they both work?

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Per Wikipedia Article:

SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64 GB and larger volumes.

TLDR: I wouldn't format to NTFS, seems like exFAT is the better option. Unless you are planning to use with other devices that may not recognize it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett