Has anyone considered...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Getting a touchscreen laptop to replace your current laptop and Surface?

I always prefer one device instead of two. Before you suggest the Pro to me, I want a touch gaming laptop.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I always prefer one device instead of two. Before you suggest the Pro to me, I want a touch gaming laptop.

Why would anyone replace a tablet that came out a few days ago with a touchscreen laptop?

And why is this in the Surface RT section?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I never really liked the idea of a touchscreen laptop. I think I agree with Apple that it's sort of uncomfortable to be reaching out to touch a vertical screen for an extended period of time.

I'll just be getting a tablet with some sort of dock or keyboard dock, and be using my desktop for heavier tasks.

Why would anyone replace a tablet that came out a few days ago with a touchscreen laptop?

And why is this in the Surface RT section?

In the RT section because it's about replacing Surface with a laptop. And I'm not sure if there is a touchscreen laptop section.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I never really liked the idea of a touchscreen laptop. I think I agree with Apple that it's sort of uncomfortable to be reaching out to touch a vertical screen for an extended period of time.

I'll just be getting a tablet with some sort of dock or keyboard dock, and be using my desktop for heavier tasks.

In the RT section because it's about replacing Surface with a laptop. And I'm not sure if there is a touchscreen laptop section.

Personally I would agree this is a stretch as a legitimate post. The tablet is out for a couple days and someone is asking about what one would want as a replacement. There are also other forums even here where this can be addressed without essentially baiting people.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Answering as charitably as possible, I think that a touch screen laptop and the Surface serve two different purposes. I was playing around with the touchscreen laptops at the MS Store last night and they are VERY cool. But they aren't Surfaces! And by Surfaces, I mean "tablet." It depends on what you want. I don't think it would be uncomfortable to navigate a touchscreen laptop with your finger for a while, but you would ultimately use it more like a traditional laptop. For people who aren't already used to tablets, the TS laptop would make more sense. If you want JUST one device, then a TS gaming laptop is probably a good idea.

For me, I already have a gaming desktop and have no interest in a full powered laptop. My needs are met by a highly functional tablet, and the Surface RT fits the bill for now. I'm excited to see what's available in 2-3 years!

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Answering as charitably as possible, I think that a touch screen laptop and the Surface serve two different purposes. I was playing around with the touchscreen laptops at the MS Store last night and they are VERY cool. But they aren't Surfaces! And by Surfaces, I mean "tablet." It depends on what you want. I don't think it would be uncomfortable to navigate a touchscreen laptop with your finger for a while, but you would ultimately use it more like a traditional laptop. For people who aren't already used to tablets, the TS laptop would make more sense. If you want JUST one device, then a TS gaming laptop is probably a good idea.

For me, I already have a gaming desktop and have no interest in a full powered laptop. My needs are met by a highly functional tablet, and the Surface RT fits the bill for now. I'm excited to see what's available in 2-3 years!

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought when I bought surface I would need to keep my laptop but to be honest I can completely get rid of my laptop which I am thrilled about.. I still have a desktop so I'm down to a tablet and a desktop, so this isn't a problem for me.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced my netbook with surface. It wasn't touch but I slowly began to realize surface does everything and more than my netbook. Including never having to install those stupid printer drivers anymore. Honestly, though why the need for a touch gaming laptop other than the "cool" factor. I'm a gamer but I have a separate pc for that and don't really feel the need for touch since it is hooked up to a humongous screen and a smaller screen for the start menu (running w8). I wouldn't consider it, still like to use my mouse, sometimes my finger is too fat and my hand gets in the way.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I am not trying to "troll" the Surface, as I am typing this on mine. I own a 23in touchscreen but it didn't allow me to realize how much I would enjoy Windows 8 on a good touch device. I really like the Surface but I am always looking for ways to cut back on the devices I need. For instance, I had a really good gaming desktop and a netbook. I wanted to combine so I got a gaming laptop that has the advantages of both.

Now that I have a great laptop and a great tablet, I began to think if there was anything in the market around the 12 or 13 inch laptop tablet convertible that had a good enough video card to play all games at medium or better settings.

I didn't want to get long winded in the first post but maybe I should have.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As windows 8 will be coming on just about every new laptop, I would bet there will be an alienware or equivalent touch screen gaming laptop.

I have a 23" touch monitor and I am having no luck getting it to work like a tablet with windows 8. I have not been able to do swipes from the side. I have to use my mouse to do anything like that. Once I can find a way to get AMD CCC installed I will try downsampling my image size to get a small black border around the screen. This may help but the bezel is always going to cause a problem that the surface will never have.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As windows 8 will be coming on just about every new laptop, I would bet there will be an alienware or equivalent touch screen gaming laptop.

I have a 23" touch monitor and I am having no luck getting it to work like a tablet with windows 8. I have not been able to do swipes from the side. I have to use my mouse to do anything like that. Once I can find a way to get AMD CCC installed I will try downsampling my image size to get a small black border around the screen. This may help but the bezel is always going to cause a problem that the surface will never have.

I think I might sell my 23" monitor. Not very useful really.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I am not trying to "troll" the Surface, as I am typing this on mine. I own a 23in touchscreen but it didn't allow me to realize how much I would enjoy Windows 8 on a good touch device. I really like the Surface but I am always looking for ways to cut back on the devices I need. For instance, I had a really good gaming desktop and a netbook. I wanted to combine so I got a gaming laptop that has the advantages of both.

Now that I have a great laptop and a great tablet, I began to think if there was anything in the market around the 12 or 13 inch laptop tablet convertible that had a good enough video card to play all games at medium or better settings.

I didn't want to get long winded in the first post but maybe I should have.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Usually, most laptops 13" and under don't include dedicated graphics since it would either be considered a low-end device, or it'd be an ultrabook that has barely any space for anything inside it's thin chassis.

Does anyone know if anyone made a 13" gaming laptop for Windows 7? If so, then maybe they'll make one for Windows 8?

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i doubt i'd ever go back to a traditional laptop after using the surface. i'm still torn on getting the surface pro when it comes out, but if the market grows at a favorable rate, i doubt i'm going to want any of my legacy apps anyways as i have a desktop that i'd rather run programs like photoshop and illustrator on.

if i did swap my surface RT for something that used an x86 chip it'd probably be a hybrid device over a proper laptop, which for the mainstream market i almost 100% see replacing the traditional (fixed) laptop.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I might sell my 23" monitor. Not very useful really.

I use mine for flight sims as my control centers.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Usually, most laptops 13" and under don't include dedicated graphics since it would either be considered a low-end device, or it'd be an ultrabook that has barely any space for anything inside it's thin chassis.

Does anyone know if anyone made a 13" gaming laptop for Windows 7? If so, then maybe they'll make one for Windows 8?

Alienware had a 14" and 11"

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
yeah

yes they have for awhile, I own an 11" gaming laptop from alienware that has dedicated graphics and also has integrated for low battery consumption has 2 different cards in it, on the integrated with windows 7 it gets 8 hrs of battery life on windows 7 with an core 2 duo chip and an NVidia dedicated and yes I will run some serious games, running on the NVidia does eat battery more like 3 hrs while gaming. But I don't do much gaming anymore and its not touchscreen I might end up getting rid of it since i'm typing this from my surface!

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the smallest gaming laptop from Alienware is currently 14". The M11x (the 11" version) weighed like 4.5+ pounds. I have one. I love it. But the weight does matter when you are slugging it around with other notebooks and stuff. So the 14" one is going to weigh more. I'm not getting a pro and just going to stick with PC/Laptop/Surface RT combination. Laptop will probably see less use, but will keep for traveling out of town or when I know I will be working (or playing) at a remote location. Surface RT is my day-to-day carry-on for working at a cafe at lunch/on my way home, etc, or putzing around on the couch.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Ironically, I'm trying to install AMD CCC to get RID of the black border around my screen... Oh how I wish out lives were turned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad