What's your Microsoft Store Experience?

Three Dog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Post your recent Microsoft Store/kiosk experience after the release of Windows 8/Surface on this thread!

I'll start with my experience today at the Bellevue, WA location. Unfortunately I did not take pictures (was too excited trying to get my hands on some devices and talking to people) but try to bare with me.

First thing I noticed before I even got into the store was that it was crowded. I mean REALLY crowded. They had an artist outside the store demoing the Fresh Paint app on a huge 30-somethingish touchscreen, which I thought was an excellent way to grab the attention of shoppers passing by. Got the attention of my dad who later told my little sister who's into drawing and painting.

Going into the store, I noticed that all the Surface display units were being used by shoppers. There was always a small gaggle of people waiting around each Surface. I had to definitely wait a good 5-10 minutes before even getting my hands on one of those sleek babies. Good news for those who want to play with them before buying them, the display units are not tethered to the table! You can hold the Surface up in all of it's magnificent glory! :D Don't do any hasty though, they have staff standing guard to make sure you don't take one and run! ;)

Holding one in my hands, it wasn't heavy or huge at all for a tablet despite what some tech bloggers will tell you (cough Joshua Topolsky cough). It felt really solid and refined. Now I'm kinda biased but it felt more premium than even an iPad (gasp!). Kickstand is sturdy and doesn't seem like it would ever come loose. Only knock on the kickstand is that there is only one dimple that lets you open it which is on the leftside.

Colors and photos on the screen were vibrant and a pleasure to look at. And for all the whiners who say it's low res, you can't really tell the pixels on the 1366 x 768 screen unless you shove your face at it. So it gets the job done in person. Yes there is a bit of lag if you switch apps fast enough, but it's a non-issue in real world usage I'm sure. All in all, the Surface does a fantastic job at showcasing Windows RT.

Now I was the most excited to try out the Touch Cover. I was surprised at first with how much force you need to pull apart the keyboard and Surface. But it gives you the confidence to dangle it upside down by the keyboard and not worry about dropping it. Clicking in and out with the keyboard was fun, the sound it makes when it connects is really satisfying and I did it a couple of times just to get it out of my system. :p

Typing on the Touch Cover was interesting. With no tactile feedback, it feels like tapping on a something like a cloth covered table. The type detection works well (maybe too well), resting your fingers on the keyboard doesn't trigger any keys. I say it maybe works too well because some keys didn't register while I was typing, causing some words to jumble like with no spaces (helloI'm) or miss some letters (thi is awsome). The learning curve doesn't seem to be bad though, one of the employees cited it being a week of usage. The Type Cover is something that all of us are probably familiar with and feels like a Macbook Air keyboard so typing on that should be no problem.

I compared the Surface RT to the Asus VivoTab RT, which they had in store with the dock as well. First off people didn't know that the VivoTab RT is mechanically secured to the dock so they were trying to pry the VivoTab RT from the dock. This made me realize what a smart decision it was to have the Surface magnetically connect to the keyboards because it wasn't immediately obvious on the VivoTab RT that you have to slide the switch on the left side of the VivoTab RT to undock it. I actually had to show a couple of people how to do it :giggle:

I can't say too much about the screen compared to the Surface (didn't scrutinize it that much). It was lighter and thinner in the hand than the Surface. However it didn't feel as solid, with minor flex in the chassis due to the ugly brown plastic strip on the top.

After playing around with the Surface hardware, my dad wanted to buy one (he's a Microsoft employee but we don't get the free Surface RT until December :mad:). Turns out that all the 32GB ones are sold out on opening day Friday. Not only that but all of the Touch Covers except for the pink and white ones were sold out! And the VivoTab RTs were sold out on opening day too! I asked a couple of employees if they knew when they'd be getting a new shipment of Surfaces and none of them knew apart from the fact that they get shipments in general on Mondays and Fridays. So either there are is (1) a supply shortage with the 32GB Surfaces or (2) people are gobbling them up or (3) perhaps both.

I have a feeling Microsoft has a homerun on its hands with the Surface and Windows RT tablets in general. It may not be a success in the same way as the iPad, but I don't think that's what Microsoft was aiming for. They may not sell as many as the iPad, but if they sell a fair number of them and consumers consider Windows RT tablets as competitive to the iPad, then I would say they were successful. Chime in with your thoughts and keep fighting the good fight! :cool:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
wow. that is good man. When I was in USA like last week for my holiday. I went to the MS store and it was packed. like I couldn't even get to the surface for 30 minutes. hmm they also said that the 32GB surface is sold out and 64GB as well

Three Dog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
wow. that is good man. When I was in USA like last week for my holiday. I went to the MS store and it was packed. like I couldn't even get to the surface for 30 minutes. hmm they also said that the 32GB surface is sold out and 64GB as well
That's great news, which city was it in? I'm really happy about the level of attention Surface is getting from consumers. If only there were enough Surfaces to go around...

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i went to the microsoft store in century city, ca (the "los angeles" store) on launch morning and my experience there was nothing less than stellar.

the employees were fairly well trained (some more than others) but even the less knowledgeable ones were very friendly, and all of them were very enthusiastic about the new hardware. they all seemed excited about the launch of windows 8, as well as the upcoming (then) launch of wp8 as well without being over the top creepy excited (like most apple store employees)

tons of surfaces on display, tons of the various covers, lots of hands of demos, they all gave personal one on one support for everyone buying it, they walked everyone through setting it up and showed everyone how to use all the gestures.

they were also having windows 8 workshops which seemed useful for the new users. i had them go through the basic setup with me so i could make sure the device worked and then i let them move on to other customers in line and just sat around and used the wifi to download a bunch of apps.

i personally love the microsoft store, while its setup similar to the apple store, i have a headache everytime i have to go to the apple store with their weird "no register" setup, their snooty genius bar employees and the general smug attitude everyone there has, but going to the microsoft store provides an excellent customer service experience with a much more relaxed atmosphere (i mean, they had a lounge/living room area setup just for people to play xbox if they wanted)

i can't wait for them to get some wp8 hardware so i can drool over it until my 920 arrives.

Three Dog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
i went to the microsoft store in century city, ca (the "los angeles" store) on launch morning and my experience there was nothing less than stellar.

the employees were fairly well trained (some more than others) but even the less knowledgeable ones were very friendly, and all of them were very enthusiastic about the new hardware. they all seemed excited about the launch of windows 8, as well as the upcoming (then) launch of wp8 as well without being over the top creepy excited (like most apple store employees)

tons of surfaces on display, tons of the various covers, lots of hands of demos, they all gave personal one on one support for everyone buying it, they walked everyone through setting it up and showed everyone how to use all the gestures.

they were also having windows 8 workshops which seemed useful for the new users. i had them go through the basic setup with me so i could make sure the device worked and then i let them move on to other customers in line and just sat around and used the wifi to download a bunch of apps.

i personally love the microsoft store, while its setup similar to the apple store, i have a headache everytime i have to go to the apple store with their weird "no register" setup, their snooty genius bar employees and the general smug attitude everyone there has, but going to the microsoft store provides an excellent customer service experience with a much more relaxed atmosphere (i mean, they had a lounge/living room area setup just for people to play xbox if they wanted)

i can't wait for them to get some wp8 hardware so i can drool over it until my 920 arrives.

Yep, exactly mirrors my sentiments about the Microsoft Store. It's just more relaxed and casual atmosphere where you can sit down and not be bothered by the employees (unlike the Apple Store) if you want, play with the devices, download apps, play xbox etc. I also feel much more comfortable when talking to the peeps at the Microsoft Store, while they might not be the most knowledgeable (but then again we're on WPCentral all the time) they are always friendly and laidback. I never stay in the Apple Store more than I have to to look around, but I never want to leave the Microsoft Store when I visit. :D

WilliamButlerOgden

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My experience at the Microsoft holiday store was pleasant, if brief. I ordered my Surface from the Microsoft Store online and had it delivered to my house last Friday, but I wasn't very happy with the Touch Cover that came with it.

So yesterday I went to the Microsoft holiday store here (Chicago, Michigan Ave) to buy a Type Cover. The store was very well staffed, but no one approached me to ask if I was buying anything, just to ask if I thought the Surface or Type Cover were cool. I like that, as opposed to the more hands-on approach of Apple Store or Best Buy employees. There wasn't much to see in the store, maybe 3-4 tables with 4 Surfaces on them with a variety of keyboard covers and boxes of Windows 8 Pro.

When it was time to check out, I went over to the girl who was talking to me earlier and asked if they had any Type Covers in stock. She ran into the back, got me one, and I was on my way in a couple minutes. Very pleasant experience overall. It was nice to be able to play around at the store without being hassled, which is unfortunately an exceptional experience.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Nothing but good things to say from me like others have mentioned. I went to eatons centre pop up store in Toronto. Everyone was extremely friendly and liked how they were giving water and snacks out. They were very helpful to. I appreciated the people working there had tablets in hand and would walk up to you and asked if you wanted to try it out. To be honest though I just wanted to get my surface and get using it!

Soxpranos

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 3 Surface tablets on the 16th, I read somewhere in one of the threads about someone going to the local Microsoft store and getting some kind of gift bag.

Just this Sunday I went to the Oakbrook Store in Illinois so I can get carrying cases. I ran into a great rep, grant it the store was pretty full at 11:30am. I asked him if they had any gift bags, he didn't know about them and said he would ask. He came back 5 minutes later and handed me 3 $99 X Box Music passes. He said the gift bags where given out at the Holiday Stores. Been to the Oakbrook store a bunch but this was nice to see the rep go out of his way. I also picked up the "Plain & Simple" tutorial books there for free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo