Did you buy the 32GB or 64GB Surface?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy the 32 GB or 64 GB version of the Surface RT?

I have the 32 GB and I'm starting to regret it now. I know the OS takes up 12 GB so there's only about 20 GB left for apps and stuff. But I just checked today and I only have 13.7 GB left!! I added up all the installed apps and I only got 1.7 GB, so how on earth did I lose 7 GB? By the way, I don't have any photos or videos on my Surface at all. All my photos and videos are on my Skydrive.

I'm really concerned now. Obviously, as more apps come out, I will be installing more apps. I'm worried that I might run out of space. Is anyone else experiencing this?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
pft whatever. I have the 64 but I've installed tons of apps and it isn't making a dent in the free space. Apps are small unless they are games. The final Office update took up some room but no biggy. Get an SD card and keep all your media on there.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm down to 5GB on my 32GB Surface myself. Especially with the games, those take a lot of space (and that's why I'm also concerned about no microSD on the 920 and 8X).

Still, for me the Surface RT is a temporary device until the Surface Pro comes out, and with that, I'll definitely be getting the 128GB version. With that being the case, there was no reason to spend more than I had to on the RT. ;)

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm down to 5GB on my 32GB Surface myself. Especially with the games, those take a lot of space (and that's why I'm also concerned about no microSD on the 920 and 8X).

Still, for me the Surface RT is a temporary device until the Surface Pro comes out, and with that, I'll definitely be getting the 128GB version. With that being the case, there was no reason to spend more than I had to on the RT. ;)

I don't think SD card will help since I read that you can't store apps in the SD card, right? And I also store all my photos and videos on Skydrive so SD card really won't help me.

Kind of wish I've gotten the 64GB now, but then it's so expensive.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't think SD card will help since I read that you can't store apps in the SD card, right? And I also store all my photos and videos on Skydrive so SD card really won't help me.

Yeah, apps are only on the internal storage. But in my case, it's about 1-2GB of music that's not available on Xbox Music in addition to apps. At the very least I also have an external hard drive that I can store videos on too.

But yeah, with the phones, I'm worried I'm going to have the same problem and unless I get the Ativ-S then external storage isn't even an option, that's the only reason I brought up that tangent. :D

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It is a $100 more *facepalm* They gave me a $100 Xbox music pass so it made the deal sweet for me at effectively $599.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

you obviously have a lot of media on there cause no way you could fill it up with apps yet. there simply aren't that many and not of that size yet. An out of the box Surface has almost 22Gb free on a 32. Apply the office update and some other windows updates and this gets down closer to 20. You have 15Gb of apps? I find it unlikely. I have downloaded every quality app and many of the trial games and I have 39Gb free on my 64.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the ones that are (not so) patiently waiting for the Pro version.

If I had a release date I would wait too, but I didn't and I am quickly finding myself not wanting for a x86 version. Only thing Microsoft needs to do is recompile some of the x86 apps for ARM. Not having Solitaire collection on ARM is stupid.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
you obviously have a lot of media on there cause no way you could fill it up with apps yet. there simply aren't that many and not of that size yet. An out of the box Surface has almost 22Gb free on a 32. Apply the office update and some other windows updates and this gets down closer to 20. You have 15Gb of apps? I find it unlikely. I have downloaded every quality app and many of the trial games and I have 39Gb free on my 64.

Like I said, only 2GB of music. The only other media is I have Photos on Skydrive and Facebook.

And then I have every Xbox game except for Four Elements. Of those, Pinball FX2 takes 1GB alone, with all the tables. Adera is another 1GB, Reckless Racing is another 600MB, Hydro Thunder another 500MB, a couple magazines in Zinio mean it's taking 400MB, even just the Travel app is 200 MB.

Believe me, it's VERY easy to fill up the space on the 32. And I don't recall offhand but I think after the updates and including the recovery partition, it was more like 18GB out of the box.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, only 2GB of music. The only other media is I have Photos on Skydrive and Facebook.

And then I have every Xbox game except for Four Elements. Of those, Pinball FX2 takes 1GB alone, with all the tables. Adera is another 1GB, Reckless Racing is another 600MB, Hydro Thunder another 500MB, a couple magazines in Zinio mean it's taking 400MB, even just the Travel app is 200 MB.

Believe me, it's VERY easy to fill up the space on the 32. And I don't recall offhand but I think after the updates and including the recovery partition, it was more like 18GB out of the box.

no it was confirmed by anandtech.com that the OS and office only comprised 7gb and taking into account the formatted capacity it was 22gb, that drops to 20 after you grab the out of the box updates. the upside is new surfaces that ship with updates installed might have more space free depending on how the updates are applied.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
With download speeds these days, there is no reason to keep 10-15 games installed at one time. There is no chance in **** anyone actively plays that many different games. Most of the apps I have been downloading are in the 2-20mb range.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
no it was confirmed by anandtech.com that the OS and office only comprised 7gb and taking into account the formatted capacity it was 22gb, that drops to 20 after you grab the out of the box updates. the upside is new surfaces that ship with updates installed might have more space free depending on how the updates are applied.

Again, that's incorrect because there is a recovery partition. The main system partition starts at 25GB (formatted). Subtract 7GB from that and that's 18GB.

With download speeds these days, there is no reason to keep 10-15 games installed at one time. There is no chance in **** anyone actively plays that many different games. Most of the apps I have been downloading are in the 2-20mb range.

So you're going to download a 1GB game every time you want to play it? Doesn't make sense, no matter what your speeds are.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can redownload the games quite easily. And I confirmed that the game save data should be stored in the cloud. Angry Birds when downloaded on my desktop had the progress I had done on my Surface.

I got the 32GB and have a MicroSD on its way. I'll put Music, Video etc on the MicroSD with the library hack. The 14GB I have free should be plenty for apps. My start screen will be too full if I fill all that app with apps.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes you can redownload the games quite easily. And I confirmed that the game save data should be stored in the cloud. Angry Birds when downloaded on my desktop had the progress I had done on my Surface.

Not for all games; Jetpack Joyride, for example, saves your maximum score and coins, but doesn't save your mission status or any of your other miscellaneous stats.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy the 32 GB or 64 GB version of the Surface RT?

I have the 32 GB and I'm starting to regret it now. I know the OS takes up 12 GB so there's only about 20 GB left for apps and stuff. But I just checked today and I only have 13.7 GB left!! I added up all the installed apps and I only got 1.7 GB, so how on earth did I lose 7 GB? By the way, I don't have any photos or videos on my Surface at all. All my photos and videos are on my Skydrive.

I'm really concerned now. Obviously, as more apps come out, I will be installing more apps. I'm worried that I might run out of space. Is anyone else experiencing this?
How much apps you plan installing, i seriously doubt apps will fill up 32gig? Check my write up maximize your SDCARD.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Why would you buy the 64GB model when you can get 256GB Micro SDXC cards quite cheap now? Plus, when the next thing comes out, simply take card out, and insert into next device.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Again, that's incorrect because there is a recovery partition. The main system partition starts at 25GB (formatted). Subtract 7GB from that and that's 18GB.

So you're going to download a 1GB game every time you want to play it? Doesn't make sense, no matter what your speeds are.

No, you are going to play a certain set of games for a while, uninstall them and get another set of games. Anything else is just ADHD...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo