Did you buy the 32GB or 64GB Surface?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You have to think about what actual users are going to do. People are used to installing stuff and leaving it on there, whether on an iPad or a Windows PC. Saying "OH, well I'd never use it that way" doesn't matter, because that's not the way the general public uses devices.

Because of that, I wouldn't recommend the 32GB device to most people. Unless you're going for the cheapest possible, it'll fill up way too fast to be a good idea for most people out there. Maybe if it had closer to 29GB of free storage it would be fine, but with what's actually usable I'd highly recommend the 64GB one over the 32GB.

And again, I'd personally have gotten the 64GB one, if it wasn't for the fact that this is just a holdover for me for a short time until a Surface Pro.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Go big or go home! 64gb here!

On that note, this will also just be holding me over till the pro comes out. Then I plan on giving this to my sister or just keep it in the car as an entertainment system. (I road trip a lot going snowboarding and surfing and stuff) my friends would appreciate something to control the music in the car (Bluetooth) and play games on!

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What's the largest GB MicroSD card the Surface RT will accept? I saw theseusperse mention a 256GB card. Can we really go that big?

TimeHunter

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the 32 GB, but I also use a 64GB msdsx card with drive to directory mapping and library links. I keep all my media files, always the largest single consumer of data space, on the SD card. I haven't really installed a ton of apps, so I still have 11GB free on board. Since I can also attach a portable USB drive for movie files for times when I'm stationary like sitting on the airplane for hours, that also allows me to meet my usage profile pretty handily.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Got the 32 with 64 card, not a problem for me but I do feel the pain for the 32 runs up just without your notice
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

balama

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
32GB and a 64GB SD card for media and documents works fine for me
you can link the files on the SD to your normal documents folders so its seemless just swap cards in an out as you find the need to. SD cards are cheap and the cloud services are expanding with skydrive, dropbox, box, google drive etc

they should probably make little plastic stick on pockets for your cards on the back.

how many apps do people really need on these things anyway?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Went to Best Buy last night to pick up a micoSD card. Was looking at a SanDisk Ultra 64GB that was listed on sale for $59.99. The sales guy said he didnt know it was on sale and wanted to check the price. Regardless, he said, since it was listed on the rack on sale I would get that price. When he ran it in it came up on the register for $49.99. As soon as I saw that I said "ring it up". Winning! :grin:

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the 64GB from the MS Store. Glad I did. I'm so happy with this device that I have it on me at all time. I purchased a nice black/blue Incipio pocket case to protect it more. I highly recommend getting the pocket case. If you're curious if the case can house both the keyboard and Surface, yes it can.

As for space, I have no need to expand it just yet. I add a few videos so I can watch them during my lunch, but once I done with the movie or show, I delete it. So for now, I'm good.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I got the 32 GB and a 64 GB microSDXC. I did the junction linking to the SD card so my docs, music, photos, and vids default to saving on the card. With the junction linking, RT thinks the files are still on the C drive and thus gets indexed. I have no regrets. If I need more space, I might move the 5 GB restore partition to a USB stick, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope Microsoft is hard at work reducing the size of Windows RT or at least create a separate SSD just for WIndows RT & recovery partition next time and leave the full 32GB available for the user.

PHVL

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 32GB Surface, and i'm gonna take a microSD card, maybe 32 GB too. What type of microSD did you take? Is a Class 4 enough ?

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
i am down to 17 GB free on my 32 GB device. After the OS, the 3 GB recovery partition, and MS Office and my apps. I did uninstall some of the surface apps that came with it that i don't plan to ever use (like travel and news). That was about 600 MB right there. The games are really what take up the most space I will say, but it depends on how many games you want on your tablet I guess.

Between skydrive, microSD card, USB external harddrive, and remote desktop, i really have no reason to store any REAL media on the device itself. Reducing the size of the OS would be nice for sure, and there are many threads on this forum and on the internet about moving the backup parition to a USB drive and freeing the 3GB from the device itself there. Though this wont be something the average user would do, im not sure how many "average" users are using the surface RT.. I feel like there isn't enough education and only flashy "look at our colors!!!" ads out there right now.. Most people probably don't know that it comes with MS Office 2013.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 32GB Surface, and i'm gonna take a microSD card, maybe 32 GB too. What type of microSD did you take? Is a Class 4 enough ?

I got a 32 gb microsdhc and its really good. I got it during black Friday for about 20 dollars. Definitely opt for class 10 if you can. Transfer speed is worth the cost. I wouldn't worry too much about brand. Newegg has a 3rd party company that has gotten great reviews.

popartist

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I got the 32 GB and a 64 GB microSDXC. I did the junction linking to the SD card so my docs, music, photos, and vids default to saving on the card. With the junction linking, RT thinks the files are still on the C drive and thus gets indexed. I have no regrets. If I need more space, I might move the 5 GB restore partition to a USB stick, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Which instructions did you use to get them to show up as being on C, I tried a couple of different ways and it hasn't worked, I must be doing something wrong.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The news and travel apps (any stock app really) being huge is because you have the old versions installed as well, secretly. The reason is that when you create a new user, for some reason it installs the out-of-the-box stored versions to that new user account.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
For the record, I officially just ran out of space on my 32GB Surface and hit the point where I have to start deciding what I want on the device based on importance.

As I said above, I wouldn't recommend the 32 to most people because apps (games especially) take up a lot of space.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The news and travel apps (any stock app really) being huge is because you have the old versions installed as well, secretly. The reason is that when you create a new user, for some reason it installs the out-of-the-box stored versions to that new user account.

Oh well that's simple enough to fix. Delete all the apps in a new user profile and grab from store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb