performance?

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried one out last week and overall I really liked it...keyboards (both of them) worked a lot better than I expected. However, the performance was a little slower than I'd like. It wasn't nearly as smooth as my phone. Now, the Surface wasn't super slow or anything, but it wasn't as buttery smooth as my Windows Phone. I could tell it was lagging a little; when switching to a previous program it was a little choppy, and scrolling wasn't super smooth sometimes. Anyone else feel this way?

As an aside, why do many review sites mention that it's a con that it doesn't run Windows 7 apps? It's not like people criticize Apple or Google because the ipad or android tablets don't run PC apps.

I hear the cameras aren't very good on the Surface, but I'm not sure I understand the criticism -- aside from videoconferencing, what else do people use a tablet camera for?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
yeh there is lag, I blame software. Im sure there will be updates to fix this

I agree sites shouldn't be comparing this to an ultrabook... but they are.

Still photos aren't great, but video is more than good enough. It gets the job done, its not a camera its a tablet that is lucky enough to take good video! much better than any internal webcam ive ever seen on a laptop.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
@Snoops8, I also notice while playing music and surfing. I'm getting alot of paused on musc. Not sure what caused that. Did you experienced the same?

Camera works great via skype, no issue and quality is quite good.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
@Snoops8, I also notice while playing music and surfing. I'm getting alot of paused on musc. Not sure what caused that. Did you experienced the same?

Camera works great via skype, no issue and quality is quite good.
I definitely agree the music and video apps need major overhauls. dreadfully slow, the surface is a pmp to me and those things are very important to me! they shouldn't feel like apps, they should feel built into the OS for sure!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
music and video need major overhauls, but other than that I haven't experienced any lag unless it was connection lag with my slow work wifi....

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The only lag I have noticed is while I install apps and browse another app, had a game take ages to install last night.

Also noticed that some websites take a long time to load and Engadget is almost unusable.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The only lag I have noticed is while I install apps and browse another app, had a game take ages to install last night.

Also noticed that some websites take a long time to load and Engadget is almost unusable.

The app thing is an issue with the store they are going to be fixing.

Engadget is fine if you add tracking lists for ad blocking. As fine as that horrible site can be anyways.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed pausing in music and stuttering when playing back YouTube videos on the browser. Apps can also take sometime to load and occasionally shut down or scroll back to the left. Overall, I'm very happy with this device and once all of the kinks are ironed out it will be great.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As evidenced by the small number of posts, no the performance issues some have had are not a universal. The only app that I find lags is the Windows Store and that lags just as much on my I5 laptop running Windows 8. As far as web sites go, this is the only one I have found to be slow. Granted the site also now looks like a pastel Easter egg so I can't say much I like about the changes at the moment. Personally I like the music and video apps but that is really a matter of taste and preference.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. I've been running apps, browsing the web, playing back 720p and 1080p video, listening to music, and I've had office running with a 215 page document loaded the entire time.

I'm actually really surprised at how well the tegra 3 is holding up. The only time I've had load times longer than a couple of seconds were with some 3rd party apps that were obviously rushed to the market and far from optimized.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mixed bag here. Performance is good when using most apps and browsing but gaming is where I am running into issues. Hydro Thunder just doesnt run all that great on the Surface and I am even seeing performance issues will simpler games like Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja. The Tegra 3 should be able to play all 3 of these games without issue.

Anyone else seeing performance issues with games? Hopefully MS and Nvidia are working on improving performance as the Surface is competing not only with the new Ipad but now the Ipad 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire