Happy with your Surface purchase?

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like he was expecting a computer replacement for HIS needs. I see my Surface as my mobile computer replacement. Meaning my internet/email/music/video/news device.

I don't want to install desktop apps if i'm using touch mostly...thats what i'm avoiding. I am hating when reviewers are taking this view point.

No must have apps? what does that even mean? I "Must have" netflix...and i have it.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I love mine. And it's just going to keep getting better as the apps (undoubtedly) come.

I was out with friends last night, and the first thing my friend said when she saw the surface was "it's beautiful"

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Is the surface worth purchasing just for web browsing, email, movies and some gaming? That's pretty much all I use my HP Touchpad for and other than some websites not loading, my TP does the job. $599 to me is a lot of money for a "toy" that isn't going to do anything else my TP won't do.

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the surface worth purchasing just for web browsing, email and some gaming? That's pretty much all I use my HP Touchpad for and other than some websites not loading, my TP does the job. $599 to me is a lot of money for a "toy" that isn't going to do anything else my TP won't do.

Then don't buy it?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Then don't buy it?

That doesn't help. Has anyone else bought the Surface to replace a decent working tablet? Is there something I'm missing about the Surface? I "want" one, just don't know that I "need" one. What does the Surface do for you, that couldn't be done on another tablet?

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't help. Has anyone else bought the Surface to replace a decent working tablet? Is there something I'm missing about the Surface? I "want" one, just don't know that I "need" one. What does the Surface do for you, that couldn't be done on another tablet?

If you use MS Office a lot, Surface is VERY useful for that. The OneNote metro app is pretty solid as well. I'm using it at work as a companion to my workstation, mainly use Office for notes and stuff, plus we use Google docs a lot and IE has been pretty good for that. not to mention browsing is nice and easy, and the portability of Surface allows me to just carry Surface and not my notebook.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I really like the surface, but for the price it feels too limited. I am on the brink of returning it as well. Now, I'm not saying too limited compared to the iPad, or even android. What I mean is too limited compared to the Lenovo touchpad 2 and acerw510. For a similar price as the touchpad I can get full windows. I was doing a side by side with the surface and the ativ tablet from Samsung which is running clover trail. The performance is comparable on both and in some cases like task switching even smoother on clover trail. So I dunno what to do. Now I will say this, the hardware on the surface is unbelievably solid. Something I don't trust Samsung or Acer to accomplish. I might enjoy Lenovo though, they make solid hardware, but their offering is a bit pricier.

Is anyone else considering a clover trail tablet over the surface?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I really like the surface, but for the price it feels too limited. I am on the brink of returning it as well. Now, I'm not saying too limited compared to the iPad, or even android. What I mean is too limited compared to the Lenovo touchpad 2 and acerw510. For a similar price as the touchpad I can get full windows. I was doing a side by side with the surface and the ativ tablet from Samsung which is running clover trail. The performance is comparable on both and in some cases like task switching even smoother on clover trail. So I dunno what to do. Now I will say this, the hardware on the surface is unbelievably solid. Something I don't trust Samsung or Acer to accomplish. I might enjoy Lenovo though, they make solid hardware, but their offering is a bit pricier.

See I feel like you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. Some folks are either jaded or don't use the tablet like other people do. I too am considering a different tablet that is cheaper in price and probably as good. Not saying the surface is horrible, but there are some areas I feel they skimped on with the price being so premium.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I would definitely consider if anything would make as solid design as Microsoft.. In just about all possible meanings of the word.. I really want that exact implementation of the cover/keyboard instead of a keyboard dock such as all the examples you offered.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't personally own a Surface but I got to play around with my friend's RT and after using it for about 15 mins I loved it. I will try to get my mits on one soon hopefully.

One thing people said was that it felt heavy but I didn't feel any difference compared to other tablets i have used including ipads. It feels incredibly solid and well built.

brianbrain

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When I first voted a few days ago, I was on the fence. Not about Windows 8, but about Surface RT vs a "full" Windows 8 tablet like the Ativ Smart PC. I'm not interested in the Core i5 models, so the clover trail models were what I was weighing.

In the end, after playing with the SmartPC in person, I have two say, it's just not as good as Surface. Sure, there's the x86 compatibility and the Wacom digitizer - but the keyboard dock is clumsy compared to the touch cover, and x86 compatibility ends up being the system's undoing in the end. Despite the major advances they have made over the years with the Atom architecture, it's just still not enough to cut it for legacy applications - and let's face it, that's why you would get a Clover Trail Win8 tablet over the Surface RT.

Surface RT is fast, controlled, and applications for it will be tailored for the system perfectly. The dream of x86 compatibility falls flat on its face when you realize that once you load those x86 apps, your general user experience goes down the tubes.

After spending a lot of time mulling this over, I've decided I WILL be going back to the Microsoft store this weekend. I'm bringing my receipt, my surface, and the original packaging and I'm returning it - for a 64GB version. If I have one complaint, it's the fact that the sd card support sucks (I'm sure it will get implemented better soon) and our reliance on internal storage is pretty strong if you're downloading apps/movies/music from the Xbox stores. IMO, 64GB is a must right now, and may be for a while. I'll take that shortcoming though, as even with its limited one week old app catalog, this device is far and above any tablet on the market. It has redefined what a tablet should be, and I just can't go back to an iPad or Android tablet - they're not the same thing.

My Android phone will continue to serve me for mobile apps, my Surface RT is my ultra-portable, and my Envy 15 is my mobile desktop.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't personally own a Surface but I got to play around with my friend's RT and after using it for about 15 mins I loved it. I will try to get my mits on one soon hopefully.

One thing people said was that it felt heavy but I didn't feel any difference compared to other tablets i have used including ipads. It feels incredibly solid and well built.

I believe the difference in grams is a 1 figure number and I think it was even in Surfaces favor? But weight balancing does a lot, Surface might feel heavier to iPad users due to the different aspect ratio.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday and so far im loving it. having some issues getting xboxmusic to point to my networked hd backup. it does most of the things my iPad does. of course the apps difference is huge. but im glad I got it. if I need to do some heavy lifting I got my MacBook air. touchcover feels a little akward but its getting better.

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
the type cover makes the surface much more usable. I really wanted to love the touch cover, it looks and feels great folded back but without key feedback it just wasn't good enough for doing work.

but, once the keyboard is fast enough for work, the processor is not. Not sure if this will get better with software improvements...but office on tegra3 is just too much. scrolling of powerpoint slides is choppy, typing too fast also makes office choppy, ie desktop version is choppy to scroll by mouse...

all in all it appears there is so much potential, but adopter of this generation of surface may be getting the short-end of the stick. the next generation will be SO much better with a stronger processor.

I hope they release an atom version of surface that's thin like the RT and powerful like a laptop

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you use MS Office a lot, Surface is VERY useful for that. The OneNote metro app is pretty solid as well. I'm using it at work as a companion to my workstation, mainly use Office for notes and stuff, plus we use Google docs a lot and IE has been pretty good for that. not to mention browsing is nice and easy, and the portability of Surface allows me to just carry Surface and not my notebook.

I don't use Office very much now days. I try not to use Google anything. Browsing is important to me as well as portability.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
When I first voted a few days ago, I was on the fence. Not about Windows 8, but about Surface RT vs a "full" Windows 8 tablet like the Ativ Smart PC. I'm not interested in the Core i5 models, so the clover trail models were what I was weighing.

In the end, after playing with the SmartPC in person, I have two say, it's just not as good as Surface. Sure, there's the x86 compatibility and the Wacom digitizer - but the keyboard dock is clumsy compared to the touch cover, and x86 compatibility ends up being the system's undoing in the end. Despite the major advances they have made over the years with the Atom architecture, it's just still not enough to cut it for legacy applications - and let's face it, that's why you would get a Clover Trail Win8 tablet over the Surface RT.

Surface RT is fast, controlled, and applications for it will be tailored for the system perfectly. The dream of x86 compatibility falls flat on its face when you realize that once you load those x86 apps, your general user experience goes down the tubes.

After spending a lot of time mulling this over, I've decided I WILL be going back to the Microsoft store this weekend. I'm bringing my receipt, my surface, and the original packaging and I'm returning it - for a 64GB version. If I have one complaint, it's the fact that the sd card support sucks (I'm sure it will get implemented better soon) and our reliance on internal storage is pretty strong if you're downloading apps/movies/music from the Xbox stores. IMO, 64GB is a must right now, and may be for a while. I'll take that shortcoming though, as even with its limited one week old app catalog, this device is far and above any tablet on the market. It has redefined what a tablet should be, and I just can't go back to an iPad or Android tablet - they're not the same thing.

My Android phone will continue to serve me for mobile apps, my Surface RT is my ultra-portable, and my Envy 15 is my mobile desktop.

See I was probably a little dumb in not going to try the other devices in person. I took a look at everything before making the decision and am glad with it but its good to hear what the other devices are like to! I completely agree with the sd card! I really hope they straighten this out! Cause then it really would be killer!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue with the surface right now is apps are not pouring into the Store fast enough...and I'm talking crucial apps. A lot of the initial apps are just trialware crap window dressing like the various magazine apps. They look good for a demo but suck otherwise.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue with the surface right now is apps are not pouring into the Store fast enough...and I'm talking crucial apps. A lot of the initial apps are just trialware crap window dressing like the various magazine apps. They look good for a demo but suck otherwise.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I would imagine most apps get added like on a Tuesday or something like every other app store.

And how is the price premium? It is cheaper than any real equal comparison. Nexus 10 looks like garbage.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
the type cover makes the surface much more usable. I really wanted to love the touch cover, it looks and feels great folded back but without key feedback it just wasn't good enough for doing work.

but, once the keyboard is fast enough for work, the processor is not. Not sure if this will get better with software improvements...but office on tegra3 is just too much. scrolling of powerpoint slides is choppy, typing too fast also makes office choppy, ie desktop version is choppy to scroll by mouse...

all in all it appears there is so much potential, but adopter of this generation of surface may be getting the short-end of the stick. the next generation will be SO much better with a stronger processor.

I hope they release an atom version of surface that's thin like the RT and powerful like a laptop

I know it can be a little choppy at times, the main reason for this. Office is not done for RT. It obviously wasn't optimized carefully and correctly, and microsoft has already admitted that, the final version will be pushed out later in the year or maybe even next year (crossing my fingers for earlier). But it really is useable to the point I actual create legal documents on it rather easily. Couldn't do that before since on my windows phone 7 the formatting was non existent. But I really consider the surface a godsend, I can just bang out a legal document email or wirelessly print it out, or even tether it to my phone and boom done!

I don't use Office very much now days. I try not to use Google anything. Browsing is important to me as well as portability.

I don't know about you but I intended for surface to replace my highgrade netbook (more like a mini laptop than netbook, since it can do everything a laptop can). And I absolutely need the Office programs since all the formatting for legal documents will display properly and with minimal effort to correct them and all the shortcuts are the same. It just makes my life alot easier and my job ultimately. I don't know how useful the surface is for anything other than on the go computing since, it obviously it not going to run autocad or other engineering type of programs. It is rather handy for taking notes as OneNote runs great on it and the finger response is top notch.

One thing I thought was rather interesting is that, if professors are bothered by typing during their lecture, since the touchcover doesn't have tactile keys, the keyboard typing is silent, unless you are typing super hard and hitting the desk underneath.

As for the SD card, you can get it to index correctly, but I guess the average person is just gonna stick it in and expect it to work. Which maybe is what you should expect. Come on Microsoft! push out those updates!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720