Issue/lagging with Video playblack

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems like whenever i try playing a video that's saved on the Surface or on my microSD card, the video lags and it's really annoying. Is anyone else facing a similar issue and have a solution?

I'm trying to play mp4 formatted files and it seems like a hit and miss but mostly miss..

it kinda defeats my purpose of getting the surface if the lag doesn't stop :dry

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems like whenever i try playing a video that's saved on the Surface or on my microSD card, the video lags and it's really annoying. Is anyone else facing a similar issue and have a solution?

I'm trying to play mp4 formatted files and it seems like a hit and miss but mostly miss..

it kinda defeats my purpose of getting the surface if the lag doesn't stop :dry

Does it work if you copy it to the Surface directly?

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
it still lags even tho it seems to be a little better...is that normal or do i have a defect?

I have the Vivo RT basically the same as the Surface.
I found I had to copy some MP4's directly to the device for them to play.

Could be your MP4 has a higher than normal bitrate if its still not playing?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the Vivo RT basically the same as the Surface.
I found I had to copy some MP4's directly to the device for them to play.

Could be your MP4 has a higher than normal bitrate if its still not playing?
What's the normal bitrate for MP4s? When you copy them to your device, they don't lag at all?

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd imagine the read speed is slowing it down. I played a 720p video streaming from my desktop to my Surface via a shared drive with ZERO lag or hiccups. Haven't tested the SD card yet but i wouldn't push anything past 720p.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've played like 5 different encoded video types on my surface rt so far with none of these problems. Do you have a bunch of applications running while doing it? Maybe it's a memory problem?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've played like 5 different encoded video types on my surface rt so far with none of these problems. Do you have a bunch of applications running while doing it? Maybe it's a memory problem?
hmm..i'll try it again..did you run the 5 diff encoded vids on the surface itself or on the microSD?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've tried saving the vids on my surface and on my microSD and checked that my memory is at like 31% but it's still lagging :/ it's really starting to annoy me...when i play an avi, it seems to be ok...would it be a frame rate issue? my avi has frame rate of 23 frames/sec and it plays fine...but my mp4s have frame rates of 29 frames/sec...what abt yours?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've tried saving the vids on my surface and on my microSD and checked that my memory is at like 31% but it's still lagging :/ it's really starting to annoy me...when i play an avi, it seems to be ok...would it be a frame rate issue? my avi has frame rate of 23 frames/sec and it plays fine...but my mp4s have frame rates of 29 frames/sec...what abt yours?

Shouldn't matter. You could try refreshing the tablet from the preferences. I also watch a lot of flash streams on my surface rt and I have had no problems.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
ok, seems like when i watch avi's w/ frame rate of 29 frame rates/sec, it lags but if it's of 23 frame rates/sec then it's ok...

but if i watch mp4's w/ 29 frame rates/sec then it doesn't lag...strange..maybe it's a video format thing?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
ok, seems like when i watch avi's w/ frame rate of 29 frame rates/sec, it lags but if it's of 23 frame rates/sec then it's ok...

but if i watch mp4's w/ 29 frame rates/sec then it doesn't lag...strange..maybe it's a video format thing?

Do you have more details about the file? Such as how it was encoded? Is it x264?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
umm..what kinda details? like the rates?

Data rate: 952kbps
Total bitrate: 1032kbps

how can i tell if it's x264 or not?

Where did you get it? Via torrent? If so the tracker page you got it from should have this information. It's usually mentioned in the file name also.

GadgetObsessed

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tried plugging in and playing a 1080p MP4 file off a micro sd at the Experience stand (still eagerly waiting for mine to come) and it played perfectly. Sorry I don't know all the detail of file type, but I download the MP4's off Youtube.

Oh yeah forgot to say the Surface at the Experience stand wasn't updated to the latest software as the wireless is crappy in the shopping centre, so it was running the pre release software.

Last edited:

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Download Handbrake and use that to properly convert video that doesn't play or play smoothly. The default iPad preset works fine for the Surface. There are also lots of settings you can tweak if you want to get the best quality possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs