Improvements needed on Windows RT

btdvox

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm loving my surface so far but there are some glaring issues. I think it's the best OS for a tablet by far and large and if these issues are solved below, it'll be great. If you guys have more please add!

- Multiple Google Calendar Sync
- Improved compatibility with websites (though sites look awesome on the device)
- Much better Mail app, unable to flag, unable to connect to calendar and shouldn't have to download attachments to the app and then to the device...ONE BY ONE!! Should be able to download all attachements at once.
- Friends app should be able to status update to all linked accounts at once
- Battery percentage would be nice

Theres some more but these are the main ones for me!

Last edited:

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Dear lord... I agree with the guy above me. They need to scrap this Xbox Music and video garbage and rebrand the Zune as Xbox music and video. The Xbox music is fine if you start from scratch and use their subscription. But if you have your own preexisting library, get ready for a mess. I have so many multiple versions of each song.... Original, sync only, cloud. Then when I try to play my music, it wants to interrupt with ads....FOR MY OWN MUSIC? All my music tagging worked fine on the Zune. Now the same library has so many oddball album covers, that it would take days to fix. Then we have the Xbox video. All my movies and tv shows are thrown into one giant mess. Once again it seems like I'm being punished for any media I owned before the Xbox music/video days. Give is back the ability to organize our media!

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the Xbox music post. I have the same problems. Only half my library is even recognized by the cloud match lol. One good thing is Microsoft did say they will implement an upload feature similar to Google music. If they do that I will be happy. Screw that cloud match junk. Mine either has zero artwork or it has a random artist I've never heard of and it ends up being the producer of the music or some crap hahaba. Terrible

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Surface RT Improvements

I think Paul Thurrott (probably the biggest Windows/WP8 advocate on the web) probably summed it up best in this Article:

Surface with Windows RT is No PC Replacement

If the new Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets perform decently THERE IS NO REASON TO COMPROMISE with a Windows RT tablet. I believe Microsoft is DELIBERATELY NOT RELEASING a Clover Trail version (there are ARM for RT and Ivy Bridge for the Surface Pro) because it would take away from the RT sales. Intel realizes how important this new market is and Clover Trail (the new x86 SOC) is price competitive with ARM. Why wouldn't anyone select the best of both worlds (the new UI for tablets and full Windows 8 compatibility for desktop apps) with a new Atom (Clover Trail) tablet over Win RT.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually I would rather have the rt so ur wrong on that, lighter, thinner, runs cooler, better battery, cheaper. Of course there are reasons to compromise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah same here. A lot of people really put hope in intel dong anything good mobile.

still waiting for that proof....

Anyway, some of us literally don't want to install desktop applications on their tablet device. I'm happy the desktop is there for file browsing, management, networking (seriously everyone should have their media folders on their desktops networked to their surface) and as well as office.

But i didn't buy a 10.6" tablet to try to install desktop applications on it. If i wanted that, Lenovo Yoga would be my device i would pick right now. But i want a more tablet experience.

and lol at Clover being able to run any intensive desktop programs....i feel it should just be loaded with RT from some early reports.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think Paul Thurrott (probably the biggest Windows/WP8 advocate on the web) probably summed it up best in this Article:

If the new Windows 8 Clover Trail tablets perform decently THERE IS NO REASON TO COMPROMISE with a Windows RT tablet. I believe Microsoft is DELIBERATELY NOT RELEASING a Clover Trail version (there are ARM for RT and Ivy Bridge for the Surface Pro) because it would take away from the RT sales. Intel realizes how important this new market is and Clover Trail (the new x86 SOC) is price competitive with ARM. Why wouldn't anyone select the best of both worlds (the new UI for tablets and full Windows 8 compatibility for desktop apps) with a new Atom (Clover Trail) tablet over Win RT.

Because it will likely be $350-$400 more than Surface RT, and I know as much as I would like Surface Pro, I couldn't afford it. In regards to other manufacterer's clover trail tablets, I hate the form factors and build quality/designs, where as I really like the Surface build quality and design. Surface RT is a computer COMPANION for most, and a replacement for some.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
RT not being a PC replacement goes without saying.

RT is a traditional tablet with office apps, but still operates as your typical tablet.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
-More apps
-cheaper games
-better internet explorer performance
-get some of the integration we see on windows phone into RT and operate the same way. I can't even upload a picture to facebook from my camera roll.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I have to agree and disagree. Here's my perspective. Compared to Apple here's my list.

IPhone is Windows Phone
IPad is RT tablets which have added function
MacBook Air is Pro tabs
iMac is Desktops

I don't understand why everyone is comparing RT tabs to actual laptops and ultrabooks, they are NOT competing with that, the price range is iPad! Learn to live with the fact that a surface RT is a tablet with more function the an iPad and a Surface pro will be comparable to an ultrabook an a laptop.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

1) Paul Thurrott does on occasion have some useful stuff today but he is otherwise the biggest advocate for Paul Thurrott, and making sure everyone knows he is ultimate expert on everything Microsoft. BTW, he is not.

2) Why would anyone think that their own personal preference for an all-in-one device obviously defines what everyone would want? If something is best for you, that is great for you. Please do not assume though that you know what is best for me. I purchased the Surface RT for an array of reasons that are relevant to me but I would not be so arrogant as to assume they are the reasons other would buy it.

If I want to spend $1000 on a Windows 8 tablet in the future options will exist. With that said though, I have no interest in having a tablet as a replacement for my laptop. In addition, if I did, I would be much more interested in something like Lenovo's new hybrids that are only fractionally larger and bring the full blown Windows 8 experience. Quite frankly, I find the RT tablets to be a much easier sell than x86/x64 tablets, except among supposed tech reviewers who seem intent on finding issues probably because they are embarrassed by the fact that they got the public interest so wrong.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm loving my surface so far but there are some glaring issues. I think it's the best OS for a tablet by far and large and if these issues are solved below, it'll be great. If you guys have more please add!

- Multiple Google Calendar Sync
- Improved compatibility with websites (though sites look awesome on the device)
- Much better Mail app, unable to flag, unable to connect to calendar and shouldn't have to download attachments to the app and then to the device...ONE BY ONE!! Should be able to download all attachements at once.
- Friends app should be able to status update to all linked accounts at once
- Battery percentage would be nice

Theres some more but these are the main ones for me!

None of these things are "glaring issues." They are things you would like. There is a huge difference between the two....

btdvox

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
None of these things are "glaring issues." They are things you would like. There is a huge difference between the two....

Not being able to flag a message, something Microsoft brought to Outlook, oh I don't know over a decade ago, is a glaring issue.

Not being able to have more than one calendar through Google account is a big deal.

O.f.f.r.o.a.d

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Music, music, music

Xbox Music is unusable with a large personal collection : browsing for it in particular

WMC on my desktop is much more usable and fun...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs