While I like the tablet, there are a few things that need some polishing and tightening up. Your experience could be totally different than mine, but here are a few of the things I noticed:

The frame rate of some games are lacking. I play jetpack joyride on my HTC one x and my win 8 desktop and those experiences are smooth. not so with the surface tablet.

When deleting multiple items from my email, there is a significant amount of lag and sometimes the emails don't get deleted.

Wi-Fi isn't always a sturdy connection. I will have 4 bars upstairs but sometimes I will have the yellow exclamation mark and it wont connect to the internet.

Moving and resizing tiles isn't as smooth as it should be. I even tried it very slow and sometimes it doesn't do what I want it to do.

Low volume....is it even possible to fix that?

Shut down confirmation? Can we please get one of those?

Smooth dual screen functionality: certain apps have been acting really choppy.

SD card recognition, can that be smoothed out?

Auto brightness has my screen going up and down in the same relative light periodically.

Those are a few of my top gripes. I know there have been plenty of threads about what people don't like, but my main reason for posting is to ask if we will get incremental updates or a couple service packs? Maybe an insider knows something. I already have that first update they pushed which helped, but there are plenty more fixes to go around. I was going to return it, but I have faith that MSFT will put their all into this 1st gen tablet as if they fail on this people will be more reluctant to buy a 2nd gen. They don't have as many zombies or sheep as Apple does.
    11-01-2012 08:05 PM
    SD card recognition isn't technically a problem. It has been this way for several iterations of Windows including windows 7. It doesn't let you add it to the Library because it is a removeable drive, which means it cannot be indexed. Which is required for the library to function properly.

And you can turn off auto brightness.

I'm not having any of these other issues you are having.
    11-01-2012 08:07 PM
    App moving once you full understand the motion is easy and makes sense. Like picking an app up off the shelf.

Edit: to answer your question expect typical bug updates you get on full blown windows. I have heard they are doing away with service packs however so just expect updates when they are ready.
    11-01-2012 08:33 PM
    Bleeding edge = paid beta tester. With MSFT it normally takes 3 versions to get it right.
    64gb owner I think I'll get a pro version this spring if the app store doesn't take off.
    11-01-2012 10:46 PM
    11-01-2012 11:55 PM
    Not a service pack but more quick updates like ios, android, and windows phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    11-01-2012 11:58 PM
    Bleeding edge = paid beta tester. With MSFT it normally takes 3 versions to get it right.
    64gb owner I think I'll get a pro version this spring if the app store doesn't take off.
    Your first sentence actually means the opposite of what I think you are trying to say. The second hasn't been true for a long time and in as much as it was ever true applies equally to all the tech companies. As for the third, if that is what you want then get one....
    11-02-2012 01:05 AM
    While I like the tablet, there are a few things that need some polishing and tightening up. Your experience could be totally different than mine, but here are a few of the things I noticed:

The frame rate of some games are lacking. I play jetpack joyride on my HTC one x and my win 8 desktop and those experiences are smooth. not so with the surface tablet.

When deleting multiple items from my email, there is a significant amount of lag and sometimes the emails don't get deleted.

Wi-Fi isn't always a sturdy connection. I will haveu 4 bars upstairs but sometimes I will have the yellow exclamation mark and it wont connect to the internet.

Moving and resizing tiles isn't as smooth as it should be. I even tried it very slow and sometimes it doesn't do what I want it to do.

Auto brightness has my screen going up and down in the same relative light periodically.

Those are a few of my top gripes. I know there have been plenty of threads about what people don't like, but my main reason for posting is to ask if we will get incremental updates or a couple service packs? Maybe an insider knows something. I already have that first update they pushed which helped, but there are plenty more fixes to go around. I was going to return it, but I have faith that MSFT will put their all into this 1st gen tablet as if they fail on this people will be more reluctant to buy a 2nd gen. They don't have as many zombies or sheep as Apple does.
    Yes, there will be the equivalent of service packs but not in the sense people mean with something like earlier versions of Windows. They are intended to be smaller, targeted, and more frequent. Personally, I haven't really noticed these issues, other than the one's that are by design. On that front, you will have a very long wait for a shutdown confirmation. That subject was beaten to death with the release of Windows 7 and it really is not coming back. BTW, it would be nice if people would drop the unending BW of insulting other people for their choice of devices. The insistence on badmouthing Apple users has really gotten old. A little tolerance would be a good thing. The devices we choose are still only inanimate objects....
    11-02-2012 01:16 AM
    The surface is nearly perfect but a software update can solve most or all of the glitches. I'm happy with the surface for the most part.

Here are my list of issues:
    -low volume
    -lag or stutter sometimes during video
    -Windows RT sometimes even freeze a tiny bit. (when increasing volume, the icon on top left would stay there even tapping outside that icon volume).
    -charm windows icon button (sometimes icon gets highlighted but no response).
    Last edited by kenstervf; 11-02-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    11-02-2012 03:52 AM
    SD card recognition isn't technically a problem. It has been this way for several iterations of Windows including windows 7. It doesn't let you add it to the Library because it is a removeable drive, which means it cannot be indexed. Which is required for the library to function properly.

And you can turn off auto brightness.

I'm not having any of these other issues you are having.
    It has only been that way SINCE Windows 7 because that's when they introduced the travesty known as Libraries and Homegroups....NEITHER of which work anywhere close to how they are supposed to unless you are invested end to end in a MS ecosystem. They were an arrogant move then, and they are even moreso now. Microsoft needs to learn to play nice with NAS devices and other things that exist on the common home network. And since they are deep sixing Windows Home Server, they need to do it sooner than later. If they would embrace DLNA instead of ****ting out their proprietary implementations the world would be a lot happier place.
    11-02-2012 07:32 AM
    DLNA has its limitations.
    11-02-2012 02:21 PM
    I would love to just see am announcement or something from Microsoft to let us know that they are working on keeping the core software as well as their built in apps updated to improve performance and features. That would definitely help me lean more towards keeping the device and recommending it to others.
    11-02-2012 05:54 PM
    Its windows. Historically windows gets updates constantly.
    11-02-2012 07:20 PM
    It has only been that way SINCE Windows 7 because that's when they introduced the travesty known as Libraries and Homegroups....NEITHER of which work anywhere close to how they are supposed to unless you are invested end to end in a MS ecosystem. They were an arrogant move then, and they are even moreso now. Microsoft needs to learn to play nice with NAS devices and other things that exist on the common home network. And since they are deep sixing Windows Home Server, they need to do it sooner than later. If they would embrace DLNA instead of ****ting out their proprietary implementations the world would be a lot happier place.
    Proprietary ecosystems are here to stay I'm afraid. Microsoft is in the midst of building a walled garden; but it has a ways to go before its walls are as high as Apple's.
    11-02-2012 07:31 PM

Wi-Fi isn't always a sturdy connection. I will have 4 bars upstairs but sometimes I will have the yellow exclamation mark and it wont connect to the internet.

Yes Windows 8 Blue no ETA guessing MWC.
    11-02-2012 07:33 PM
    Your first sentence actually means the opposite of what I think you are trying to say. The second hasn't been true for a long time and in as much as it was ever true applies equally to all the tech companies. As for the third, if that is what you want then get one....
    No, paid beta tester means 'I paid to be a beta tester'.
    Again not true remember that thing called windows phone 7, 7.5, and now 8?
    And I will get one...thanks.
    11-02-2012 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD