Smudged Windows Logo

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
When I received my Surface, I noticed that the Windows Logo on the back of the surface (on top of the kickstand, not the one under the kickstand) was smudged. I initially tought that I had failed to properly clean my hands prior to handling the surface and it may have been simple greasy fingers (my hands are normally clean) that smudged the etching. But after a cleaning, I noticed the logo is all around messed up no clearly defined lines. I used to create window etchings and this looks exactly like what happens when the etching cream was not left on long enough.

To me this is not a big deal, but to eveyone looking over my new Surface (which is a mob of people), most everyone will comment on this. iSheep use this as an example of "cheap" MS manufacturing (at least my maps works).

Anyone else have this problem?

PS/ I will attempt to post a pic later today.
[Update] Here is a pic of the logo
8147566329_9d8f80f594_z.jpg

Last edited:

jonldevries

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
yeah i had issues with my first surface, it seemed to be wearing off, i have another surface now (64gb) so will see if that one has the same issue

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Some issue. If that will be a talking point for some Apple fan, then I'm pretty sure you can ignore him.

Smh. "etching issue" Good lord, what a privileged society we have become.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Not easy to do. There are no MS stores anywhere near my place.

I will not return it for a smudged logo as this does not affect the performance or functionality of the device. Just annoying when presenting my newest and greatest toy.

PS/ This is the 64GB model. Not sure that fact would make any difference as I am confident that the kickplates are identical for all models.

PPS/ I am also quite confident that Apple would never allow a device with a smudged Apple Logo leave the factory. Scratches, nicks, faulty antennas, cameras etc... yes, but their logo needs to be pristine.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I will not return it for a smudged logo as this does not affect the performance or functionality of the device. Just annoying when presenting my newest and greatest toy.

Maybe you can just rub the rest of it off. It would be better to not have it there at all, then to see it flaking away like it is now.

Smh. "etching issue" Good lord, what a privileged society we have become.

I know you are being jovial, but when you lay down this much money for something, you expect it to be flawless, at least for longer than a week. Yes, we are all fortunate to have these "issues", but that doesn't mean I don't want to get what I pay for.

I have a Nexus 7, and didn't have all the issues hoards of other N7 users were having, screen lift in particular. Forum members were all over the posters that complained about this issue, telling them they only paid $200 for the device and should expect these issues. No one should expect poor QA, regardless of how much they paid for a device. We now live in a society where we expect there to be issues with the first iteration of a product. Sad.

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can just rub the rest of it off. It would be better to not have it there at all, then to see it flaking away like it is now.

I have tried to clean it with several products. No go. Not surprising because if this is an etching (as opposed to a sticker), it simply cannot come off.

As I indicated previously, I have no intention of returning it. I just wondered if this is a simple mistake or is this a common occurance and something MS should be monitoring with some improved quality control.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I was being facetious yes, but I haven't even given a good look at the etched logo, and if I found it was smudged, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment in the least. To me a defect would be sluggishness, poor display or anything else that would hinder my experience. Lets face it, this is a mass produced product - not a hand made Rolls Royce. If it was, you'd pay 3500.00 for it.

" We now live in a society where we expect there to be issues with the first iteration of a product. "

Forget that. Even 5th generation products are subject to manufacturing defects - that's the pitfall of a mass production model.

Last edited:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I was being facetious yes, but I haven't even given a good look at the etched logo, and if I found it was smudged, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment in the least. To me a defect would be sluggishness, poor display or anything else that would hinder my experience. Lets face it, this is a mass produced product - not a hand made Rolls Royce. If it was, you'd pay 3500.00 for it.

" We now live in a society where we expect there to be issues with the first iteration of a product. "

Forget that. Even 5th generation products are subject to manufacturing defects - that's the pitfall of a mass production model.

I didn't even notice the logo until this thread, and I had to take a look at mine. And I agree this doesn't affect usage, like the screen lift issue on the Nexus. But you're right; forget about the first iteration. There always seems to be something wrong with the release of all products now a days. I've been lucky (knock wood) and haven't had a defective device in a while.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen to me .. I am in two minds to return it to the store for another one, but I don't think they have anymore in stock anywhere do they?

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen to me .. I am in two minds to return it to the store for another one, but I don't think they have anymore in stock anywhere do they?

I am sad to hear that you are suffering the same blemish, but I am glad to hear it was not just me or something I did.

Still, this is by far the best tablet I have owned/used.

/@Surface got back to me by sending me to a technical troubleshooting site. I had to explain that it was not a technical issue, just a physical blemish.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
When I received my Surface, I noticed that the Windows Logo on the back of the surface (on top of the kickstand, not the one under the kickstand) was smudged. I initially tought that I had failed to properly clean my hands prior to handling the surface and it may have been simple greasy fingers (my hands are normally clean) that smudged the etching. But after a cleaning, I noticed the logo is all around messed up no clearly defined lines. I used to create window etchings and this looks exactly like what happens when the etching cream was not left on long enough.

To me this is not a big deal, but to eveyone looking over my new Surface (which is a mob of people), most everyone will comment on this. iSheep use this as an example of "cheap" MS manufacturing (at least my maps works).

Anyone else have this problem?

PS/ I will attempt to post a pic later today.
[Update] Here is a pic of the logo
Click to view quoted image

Any reason why you need to toss in the occasional insult towards users of Apple products? Ironic calling others iSheep and suggesting they would harp on this when you are the one dwelling on something that is image only. Things do get through QA/QC checks. If it bothers you then send it back, if not then why dwell on it? It happens to Apple products too - just take a look at the online open box selection for pretty much any BestBuy and you will find among of the most common items are always iPads.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Yep, I have the exact same thing. I was torn on bringing it back too, but decided I really don't want to be without the device �� I'm glad you posted this...I had half convinced myself that I had smudged grease from breakfast off my hands there or something...LOL

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Any reason why you need to toss in the occasional insult towards users of Apple products? Ironic calling others iSheep and suggesting they would harp on this when you are the one dwelling on something that is image only...

You consider the term iSheep offensive? Sorry if this is true, but to me this is just a classification of people that prefer iDevices. Similar to a fandroid that prefers Android devices or a Microslave (for those Microsoft zealots). Urban Dictionary may assist you here.

Oh and I was not suggesting that iOwners (better word) would harp on a smudge logo, I was saying they DID hard on a smudge logo. When showing off my Surface to current iPad owners, they only complaints they could find was with the smudge logo stating that Apple would never allow that to happen.

Does it bother me that the logo is smudged? No. Why did I post it? I really wanted to know if this was an isolated incident (things happen) or a common occurrence.

Anywho...it is Saturday morning and I have better things to do than to explain to some unknown person the reasoning behind why I posted something online, or my choice of words. It is time to play some Xbox 360 (us Xboxians simply cannot get enough).

ps/ Thanks for everyone who shared their similar experience. Oh and enjoy your Surfaces. I know I do.

PPS/ we need a name. Maybe Surfans?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
First world problems....just take it back if it is that distracting. Personally I'd see if you could get it off completely.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As he said above, he ordered online with no stores nearby so he cant quite justify taking it back when it has no impact on functionality.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said try to just rub it completely off then it won't bother you anymore.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

btdvox

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the same issue too. Just noticed it today. Remember seeing this thread but thought your issue was with the button in front.

It's not nearly as bad as yours per se.

Wondering if it will continue in time.

Might need to just exchange it. I have 2 MS locations near me in Vancouver though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077