Adding Shutdown and Restart Buttons to Start Screen and Desktop

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone really wants shutdown and restart buttons directly on the start screen and/or desktop, the process is the same as for previous versions of Windows. To create the shortcut(s):

1) Tap and hold on any open space on the desktop to pull up the right click equivalent context menu.
2) Choose new, then shortcut.
3) Type the following to create a shortcut that immediately shuts down the tablet: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00. You change the -s to -r to create a restart shortcut.
4) For either shutdown or restart, change 00 to a numeric value to create a delay in seconds before the tablet shuts down or restarts.
5) Click next and then click finish. This will create a shortcut on the desktop.
6) If you then tap and hold on the shortcut, you can call up a context menu that will let you change the default icon.
7) Tap and hold on the shortcut again and select Pin to Start to add it to the start screen.

For reference, you can also create shortcuts for Windows functions such as sleep but you would need to look up the Windows commands.

Personally, I do not find this to be essential for me but I have heard a few supposed tech people floating around who have spread disinformation on the subject. Creating shortcuts on the desktop is the same as in any version of Windows. Any shortcut created on the desktop can then be pinned to the start screen, just as in Windows 8.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For when one swipe and three taps is just too inconvenient.

Are you even capable of constructive responses or is your default mode just to make stupid and obnoxious comments? If someone wants something more consistent with their past Windows experience, or wants to be able do something like loan a tablet to a person who struggles with new concepts, it is easily enough to create points of common ground - that is the point. In fact, it is one of the reasons why Windows RT is constructed the way it is.

You obviously think that you are very clever - good for you. How about taking a deep breath though before you decide to insert your next pithy comment in a post and then choose to not insult the myriad of people out there whose perspectives and experience may be different from your own. Alternatively, you might just try growing up. BTW, like myself, most of the senior people with whom I work have advanced degrees. Many are now interested in tablets but are coming from XP environments and the start screen is the biggest initial stumbling block. The disconnect from the computer environment with which they are familiar is also the reason they do not own iPads or Android tablet. I will put their PhDs, business success, and life experience up against someone's self ascribed cleverness any time.

Last edited:

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually, this is needed if you are connecting to a regular windows 8 device via a remote desktop connection as the shutdown button just has a "disconnect" option.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you even capable of constructive responses or is your default mode just to make stupid and obnoxious comments? If someone wants something more consistent with their past Windows experience, or wants to be able do something like loan a tablet to a person who struggles with new concepts, it is easily enough to create points of common ground - that is the point. In fact, it is one of the reasons why Windows RT is constructed the way it is.

You obviously think that you are very clever - good for you. How about taking a deep breath though before you decide to insert your next pithy comment in a post and then choose to not insult the myriad of people out there whose perspectives and experience may be different from your own. Alternatively, you might just try growing up.

Calm down kid. Life is short.

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

You obviously think that you are very clever - good for you. How about taking a deep breath though before you decide to insert your next pithy comment in a post and then choose to not insult the myriad of people out there whose perspectives and experience may be different from your own. Alternatively, you might just try growing up. BTW, like myself, most of the senior people with whom I work have advanced degrees. Many are now interested in tablets but are coming from XP environments and the start screen is the biggest initial stumbling block. The disconnect from the computer environment with which they are familiar is also the reason they do not own iPads or Android tablet. I will put their PhDs, business success, and life experience up against someone's self ascribed cleverness any time.

I also thought him quite clever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077