The Great Surface Road Trip

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey Folks -- not sure if any of you are interested, but if you are, let me know and I'll continue this thread.

I am about to leave on a 7-day road trip in which I'll be interviewing a multitude of subjects in various states. The only computer I am taking with me is the Microsoft Surface.

I will be shooting on the Panasonic AF-100 and have already confirmed that the Surface will play raw MTS files via the SD card plugged into the USB port. Again, think about that -- I will be able to watch my raw HD footage every evening on the Surface. Insane!

Then I will dump the day's footage from the SDHC card onto the 32gig micro-sd card I have installed -- after that dump, I will turn around and dump that footage onto my 500GB USB drive.

I know I am not splitting the atom here, but I am still amazed at how powerful this little guy is!

So, if you're interested - I can update a few times from the trip and let you know how battle-worthy our Surface is.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey Folks -- not sure if any of you are interested, but if you are, let me know and I'll continue this thread.

I am about to leave on a 7-day road trip in which I'll be interviewing a multitude of subjects in various states. The only computer I am taking with me is the Microsoft Surface.

I will be shooting on the Panasonic AF-100 and have already confirmed that the Surface will play raw MTS files via the SD card plugged into the USB port. Again, think about that -- I will be able to watch my raw HD footage every evening on the Surface. Insane!

Then I will dump the day's footage from the SDHC card onto the 32gig micro-sd card I have installed -- after that dump, I will turn around and dump that footage onto my 500GB USB drive.

I know I am not splitting the atom here, but I am still amazed at how powerful this little guy is!

So, if you're interested - I can update a few times from the trip and let you know how battle-worthy our Surface is.

On a related subject, the fact that the Surface RT has full support for the Microsoft Camera codec places it in a league of its own among tablets. While you can buy a raw viewer app for Android they are poorly designed and implemented and are also not current. No, I can't open files in Photoshop on a RT tablet and edit them but that is also not possible on any tablet until the Pro tablets are readily available (the PS touch apps for IOS and Android are not desktop Photoshop and do not have raw support). I can, however plug in a card via the USB port and cull images after viewing them on a tablet size screen instead of the screen on the back of my DSLR.

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
When I got the Surface I ran a bunch of photo and video tests to see if the device could view RAW photo and video. Once I saw how smooth it was, I sold my Macbook Air. I think it's cool that you'll be able to run Photoshop on the Surface Pro -- but my bread and butter is video and I would never want to edit on the Surface screen, for that I have my HP workstation at home. But watching raw video on the road on that screen is THE BEST! =)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6