UK Surface Warranty

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my Surface bought in UK MS Store has one stuck subpixel and I want to request a replacement unit. I was presented with two options, one paid and one free.

Surface - In Warranty Advanced Exchange for 366 GBP
Surface Advance Exchange: No initial charge (credit card hold only). Charges apply if non-functioning items are not returned or warranty terms are not met; We will send you a replacement Surface. Use the packing material from the replacement Surface to return your non-functioning device to us within 15 days of recipient or you will be charged (?366.00 plus tax) for the replacement Surface.

Surface - In Warranty Exchange
Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device.

Which option should I choose? I don't quite understand it as it's the first time I'm forced to replace anything.

noodlebomb

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my Surface bought in UK MS Store has one stuck subpixel and I want to request a replacement unit. I was presented with two options, one paid and one free.

Surface - In Warranty Advanced Exchange for 366 GBP
Surface Advance Exchange: No initial charge (credit card hold only). Charges apply if non-functioning items are not returned or warranty terms are not met; We will send you a replacement Surface. Use the packing material from the replacement Surface to return your non-functioning device to us within 15 days of recipient or you will be charged (?366.00 plus tax) for the replacement Surface.

Surface - In Warranty Exchange
Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device.

Which option should I choose? I don't quite understand it as it's the first time I'm forced to replace anything.

Hey bartekxyz,

The differences are as stated:
- With advance they will send you a new Surface straight away. The reason a cost is included is in the event that they do not receive your (defective) Surface within 15 days once you have received the replacement Surface or if the warranty terms are not met (ie you've opened it or something like that which is not covered by warranty).

If both conditions are met, then they won't be charging you the amount stated

- Normal exchange: You send them the device first. They will check it and if it is regarded as defective, they will send you a replacement unit. Also no need to add billing details as required with advance exchange.

The wording for standard exchange, "Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device.", is rather confusing and worrying if you'd ask me when compared to the text for advance.

I had to send mine back for a replacement and when asked about it, the tech person told me it would be a brand new unit and not the old unit's display being replaced. I chose standard exchange, hoping it'll be next week when I have a replacement.

If you are curious, my status on the support site has not changed since Tuesday (the day the Surface was delivered at the repair center in Coventry). The support site does indicate that it would take approximately three to five business days for them to complete the repair, or in this case exchange.

I'm hoping that the person I spoke to told the truth and I'll be getting back a new unit instead of a refurbishment.

Hope you can carry on from here..

Last edited:

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey bartekxyz,

The differences are as stated:
- With advance they will send you a new Surface straight away. The reason a cost is included is in the event that they do not receive your (defective) Surface within 15 days once you have received the replacement Surface or if the warranty terms are not met (ie you've opened it or something like that which is not covered by warranty).

If both conditions are met, then they won't be charging you the amount stated

- Normal exchange: You send them the device first. They will check it and if it is regarded as defective, they will send you a replacement unit. Also no need to add billing details as required with advance exchange.

The wording for standard exchange, "Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device.", is rather confusing and worrying if you'd ask me when compared to the text for advance.

I had to send mine back for a replacement and when asked about it, the tech person told me it would be a brand new unit and not the old unit's display being replaced. I chose standard exchange, hoping it'll be next week when I have a replacement.

If you are curious, my status on the support site has not changed since Tuesday (the day the Surface was delivered at the repair center in Coventry). The support site does indicate that it would take approximately three to five business days for them to complete the repair, or in this case exchange.

I'm hoping that the person I spoke to told the truth and I'll be getting back a new unit instead of a refurbishment.

Hope you can carry on from here..
"Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device." - yeah, that was the very part that was worrying me. Do I have to send everything or just tablet? And how am I supposed to send it, schedule a pickup and pay for courier or is MS sending one for me? And last question: do you know if one stuck subpixel is something that qualifies to the warranty?

noodlebomb

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
"Your Surface will be exchanged for a similar device." - yeah, that was the very part that was worrying me. Do I have to send everything or just tablet? And how am I supposed to send it, schedule a pickup and pay for courier or is MS sending one for me? And last question: do you know if one stuck subpixel is something that qualifies to the warranty?

Have a look on these pages of the Surface website:
- Surface service process | Repair Surface
- https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...your-surface-ready-for-service&token=OXy_U_Pg

All of it is also explained during the process itself when you request an exchange. Just make sure you do all those steps and you'll be fine.

In terms of sending/pickup/paying for courier:
- If you choose advance; MS will send you a Surface. Not entirely sure if you get a shipping label for the Surface you need to send back or if that is automatically created during the repair request. You can request for them to pick it up from any given location though
- If you choose normal; A UPS shipping label is created for you, get your Surface ready for shipment (wipe data, make sure you remove all accessories, etc), pack it, stick label and return address on box, and drop it off at a UPS center. I had to go to Kentish Town to drop it off, but of course this can differ for you depending where you live. I can't remember though whether you can also request for them to pick it up. I just dropped it off in the weekend to get the ball rolling as soon as I could (repair was scheduled on the Friday before the weekend)

In terms of the pixel warranty; I don't know what the policy is on it nor did the person ask via chat when I wrote in the summary that I had defective pixels on the screen for the chat support session. It's a bit of a grey area at the moment, but I guess MS can always tighten this further down the line. I think customer satisfaction is more important for the time being as it's a new direction for them in a pretty competitive market. And as indicated on the MS Store website; they'd want you to be happy with your purchase. Sounds like a debatable argument but if you're not happy with your purchase, you're not happy with it eh.

I was doubting as well whether or not to send it back but when I saw the pixels, it was ruining my satisfaction quite a bit as it is a tablet and you do look at the screen the majority of the time. It wasn't cheap (but the device is a quality product, so price was pretty much justified), so was pretty gutted when I found them. Hence, the reason why I sent it back. If it really annoys you and/or you're not happy with your purchase because of the defect, you know what to do..

Good luck!

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I need to ask for an update on these replacements as I am currently amidst this exact returns process for a stuck red pixel on my Surface 2 here in the UK!!.. Unfortunately, my preferred option of a speedier 'Advanced Warranty option' is apparently not possible due to the the afore mentioned hold payment... 3 cards tried, ALL failed (there is plenty of money on the cards btw!)- and some 4 hours+ IM'ing with Microsoft Surface Answer Techs and Billing(?!) to no avail left me with a standard 'free' exchange. The Answer Techs via Surface Support online to their credit have been excellent but for some reason, the billing issue is something no one could rectify for me to allow my preferred refund to take place.

It is worth noting at this point my retailer where I purchased the device John Lewis suggested I contact MS regarding this issue... as typically I was just a few days past the 'free return/replacement' threshold. Despite their 2 year warranty. Frustratingly, the same device has already had an issue rectified regarding a broken charger (solved v quickly by MS)

How have the experiences of you been with your replacements in both cases? Should I be worried or chilled lol?

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its obvious, but in the UK if you purchase an item and its faulty, your retailer is the one responsible for returning your item for repair, though we see this often in the UK, retailers advising purchasers to contact the manufacturer them selves, this is wrong, your contract is with whoever you purchased it from, if it be John Lewis or Currys/PCWorld, they are legally responsible, though often it is faster if we deal with it, they are then absolved of their responsibility, not right.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its obvious, but in the UK if you purchase an item and its faulty, your retailer is the one responsible for returning your item for repair, though we see this often in the UK, retailers advising purchasers to contact the manufacturer them selves, this is wrong, your contract is with whoever you purchased it from, if it be John Lewis or Currys/PCWorld, they are legally responsible, though often it is faster if we deal with it, they are then absolved of their responsibility, not right.

In my opinion you are 100% correct. My own circumstances including my distance from a John Lewis store (2hr+ roundtrip) were partly to blame for the situation im in-furthermore, it was the reason i ordered online in the first place! JL offered to collect and service/replace the device but having ironically had a good experience with replacing my faulty charger direct with MS, i chose their suggestion that i contact MS. Obviously, i didn't anticipate a problem with billing and the denial of the 'advanced replacement' option.... (apparently the first instance of this problem my Surface Answer Tech had heard of)

I am still a bit pissed that my '2year warranty' with JL was subject to the standard 30 day no-question replacement which i was unfortunately just out of. I may yet contact John Lewis and see if they can offer some sort of compensation for this headache and their keenness to absolve themselves of the responsibility in this case as you point out. Perhaps the fact that the unit had already had an issue within days of purchase (charger) might be in my favour, we shall see...

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
just a little update for anyone else out there with a similar UK based warranty issue with MS..

This could turn into a huge rant but i will keep it to this: UPS UK? horrendous company and frankly has let this whole shebang down for me. I may well have just been unlucky in my region here, (NW England) but their incompetence is profound. It took them 3 days to collect my packed up Surface including the worst 2 drivers who did not contact me in the property, by phone or- incredibly - the door buzzer. After a few angry emails later and it was on its way.

The service turnaround however has been 24 hours at MS's Coventry based warranty dept and its now in transit back to me for a potential delivery tomorrow... i will believe it when i see it but the updates from MS regarding its progress has been good thus far. This has been the 'In warranty standard exchange' by the way and its progress, once on route, has been speedy.

I will obviously be keen to inspect the device, i don't yet know i it will be a refurbished unit or new one but reading here leads me to think it will be a new device. Fingers crossed..

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok... someone hand me some rope please. This second new device has the same problem. I am beside myself with rage right now. MS, this is pathetic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire