HDMI 1920x1080 Netflix and other video

John949

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am really impressed with the video capibilities of the Surface RT. I hooked up a micro HDMI cable (did not need the microsoft adapter) from the Surface RT to my 52 inch HDTV. I decided to send output only to my TV and I got a 1920x1080 "modern UI". I also connected a USB mouse since the touch screen was blank in this configuration. Netflix looked great and ran without a pause or stutter. The battery was barely used after a 90 minute HD TV show; I guess it helps with the screen off. I have also been able to play 1080p 8000 kbps local video (.wmv) without a problem and it looks really good. Hoping we will see support for more video formats in the future.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yup, just picked up a micro usb to hdmi, I saw that gaming video and was LIKE OMFG I WANT TO DO THAT TOO! This thing just impresses me everyday its awesome!

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you hook the rt to a 1080p tv and use the surface screen like say a touch remote? Like mirroring images? I know I can on my 720p tv but I'm getting a new tv and just wondering....

ainkor

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I was shocked to. Just got a surface RT and grabbed my old Xoom Mini HDMI cable and watched a Netflix movie. Works just as good as my iPad or my Roku box

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there any media player that supports .mkv files playback? mobile.HD and PowerDVD Mobile are not quite ideal, and I have lots of video files in .mkv format, such video playback is a must to me.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just tried Yxplayer, it performs terrible when playing mkv files, the screen scatters a lot, and it also lags , I don't recommend this app.....

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
From my experience with my 1080p monitor, the answer is no. You can mirror the image but the second screen will use the Surface's native resolution and not the native resolution of the monitor. You can choose to use the second screen only and then you have the option of full 1080p but you also can't use the touchscreen because the Surface's screen is off. The best thing to do is to grab a USB or Bluetooth mouse. Then you can either dual screen or just use the second screen.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
From my experience with my 1080p monitor, the answer is no. You can mirror the image but the second screen will use the Surface's native resolution and not the native resolution of the monitor. You can choose to use the second screen only and then you have the option of full 1080p but you also can't use the touchscreen because the Surface's screen is off. The best thing to do is to grab a USB or Bluetooth mouse. Then you can either dual screen or just use the second screen.

Do you think there could be a hack work around for this? Or is it more a hardware thing? It kinda sucks not being able to mirror it. For metro side that is.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's more of a hardware thing. Even though the hardware can output to 1080p, the Surface is 1366 x 768 no matter what you do. Any mirrored image is gonna output to the lower resolution. Maybe there's a software hack available but I've never seen it. On the plus side, using a mouse isn't that bad. And if you connect via an Xbox then you can use smartglass as a full fledged remote.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I play emulators SNES on my tv with a gaming controller and its amazing, do that iPad!!! Oh yeah and I also have the messaging app snapped to the right so I am chatting with friends while playing......true multitasking.

The Surface RT is truly and amazing tablet, to me its the best, and I had an iPad, and a nexus 7, which I loved and are also great. But the surface is just perfect! I can't amazing what the Surface 2 will be like!!! :) 1080p + Tegra 4 please? :)
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12