Microsoft Sued Over Surface Tablet

Mark_Venture

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't stand a chance. It is advertised as having 32GB. Which is factually correct. What is left for you to use is another story and Microsoft never said you actually have 32GB at your disposal.
If there was a reasonable disclaimer on the box saying how much was available for use, or saying that not all that 32GB is available for use, then it would be a little different.

I will say this... At least this page -> Surface specifications says "*System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage. 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. See Surface.com/storage for more details." And on that storage page it does say the 32GB device has 16GB free, and the 64 has 45GB free. That should help MS's case.

Another thing, forget about installed software for a minute. Any and all hard drives NEVER have the exact amount of storage advertised. It has been like this since the dawn of time.
Really?? Hmm.. when I started with computers, hard drives were measured in bytes and binary (or base 2), just as the OS reports them. More recently (like around 2000) HD makers switched to DECIMAL, which is why now see that "1GB = 1Billion bytes" on everything.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
So true, it is universally understood that if you buy hardware with software pre-installed, it is going to utilize the built in space. The expandable storage options really make this a non-issue anyways IMO.

Except you can't install Metro apps to the SD card.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you know, my dad just bought an iPad Air 16 GB for $550 after taxes not that long ago. And that has what, 12 GB free? considering I got my 32GB Surface RT for $180 with a keyboard, I still think I came out ahead considering how much I can do with the Surface RT.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
"Ignorance is no excuse" is a clich?; but US lawyers (along with other professionals) thrive on it because it is so plentiful in the culture.

The last three paragraphs in the article sum it up well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb