Surface RT owners: Can you reproduce this volume rocker issue?

Eric Hon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
hey all, I don't have any problems with my volume rocker as described, I would think it's a hardware issue. The only thing I've noticed today is that when I connect/disconnect my earplugs, the volume changes settings (lower volume when earplugs are plugged in). Not sure if this is a defect or a built in feature, but it's actually a good thing. Other than that, haven't experienced volume going straight down on its on will. and if it makes a difference to know, I have had my touch cover connected all day.

YanN509

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the same problem too, however like johnbash612 I have only noticed this issue after doing the hardware update, although that kind of suggests that it is a software issue as we've seen from this forum I'm not entirely sure whether the software can take 100% of the blame but think it does take part in producing this issue. Also something I saw was that this maybe affected by the touch cover, however from my personal experience the touch cover does not affect this (apart from the muting issue which I don't think is related). Anyways I'm interested to see where else this situation goes, hopefully away with the next Tuesday cycle.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yikes I thought I could handle this, and although I have gotten used to it, if the update tomorrow doesn't fix the issue I'm going to exchange my surface. I recently got into listening to radio stations, and it sucks to have the volume skyrocket into your earhole when wearing headphones, or totally ruins the experience when it goes silent. blah. I'm assuming no one has found a fix since they bought theirs?

AsherHardstark

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You have a defective Surface, return it for a replacement.

My local Microsoft store (where I purchased the Surface) told me that the unit is defective and replaced it for me, even though it was past the return date.

I've been reading however, that Microsoft recently (around Feb 13 2013) released a patch that might fix this issue, so you may want to try that first.

davidvl

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having an intermittent issue with the volume rocker on my Surface RT, and I'd like to see if anybody else has this issue.What happens is that sometimes when I turn down the volume, after I release the rocker button, the volume level that shows up in the upper left of the screen continues to decease by itself, until it hits zero, and then remains there as though the button was still being held down, until I press the rocker again. The volume does not show up as muted when this happens, but manually set to zero.I've noticed that this happens with the highest frequency when I hold the volume down button just long enough to decrease the volume by around 20 (e.g., from 100 down to 80). This does not happen all the time or even half the time, I'd say maybe 20 to 30% of the time when I decrease the volume. It is so weird because it is as though the button is "stuck" being held down, but it does not seem to ever physically stick. Every time I release it, it pops back up with a satisfying tactile feeling and audible "click" sound.Can you guys play around with your volume rocker and see if you can reproduce this behavior? I recommend trying it 10 to 15 times.
I came here searching for others with this issue. Yes I can reproduce it. Bothers the @%#$@% out of me.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So apparently the new update finally fixes this issue, can you guys that have had the issue confirm this to be true? I sent in my surface RT just this last Thursday, I knew I should have waited for the March update but I was getting ticked off and had enough of it, I mean it seems like a common issue and I gave them four chances of updates to fix it, but a fifth chance wouldn't have hurt. I guess I would take my old surface RT back at this point, but the brand new surface wouldn't be a bad break either :) Anyways, let me know if anyone is still having the issue or if its simply been fixed for you.

EDIT: I am talking about the most current (March) firmware update, not the February one, which did nothing for me.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am also glad to report that this update finally fixed the issue for me. I have tried over and over and can no longer cause it to happen. With the previous update, it indeed still happened. Pretty happy about this one, I've gotta say. Also, I used to notice that sometimes after my Surface had been charging for a while, the wifi would be limited when I tried to use it. I have noticed that seems to have been fixed as well.

Squadromeo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just tried this well over 20 times but can't reproduce this behaviour.

I have installed the March 12 update yesterday, so maybe it was solved by that update but have to say that I also never noticed the mentioned behaviour before.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am also glad to report that this update finally fixed the issue for me. I have tried over and over and can no longer cause it to happen. With the previous update, it indeed still happened. Pretty happy about this one, I've gotta say. Also, I used to notice that sometimes after my Surface had been charging for a while, the wifi would be limited when I tried to use it. I have noticed that seems to have been fixed as well.

Glad to hear all of it is fixed. I want the RT to succeed but when we voted a solid chunk of us had the problem, which concerned me. I also had issues with the wifi connection coming and going. I think I still have the issue with my laptop after the update but it happened more often with the Surface so I'm glad that is fixed as well. I am getting a brand new surface shipped to me today so I can't complain, though I really miss having one for class. I lugged my laptop in to school today, what a hassle, it now has about 1 hour of battery life and weighs roughly 4 surfaces. Boo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos