Proxy use on Surface RT?

waitingmp

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a proxy server on the Surface RT? I am going to be moving to SE Asia next month so will need to use a proxy if I want to continue watching iPlayer and using my Xbox music pass.

I haven't got a Surface, but I'm considering buying one. Does RT still have the same internet properties as Win 7? i.e can you set up a proxy via the LAN settings if you need to?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Desktop version of IE10 has the same configuration settings, including the LAN Setting button to configure connections.

synkro

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
No, not exactly.
The desktop IE does have the proxy settings, but they only apply to desktop apps, not "metro" ones.
However you can do it.

After setting the proxy up in IE desktop as normal.....

I wrote 2 batch files and saved them to the desktop

ProxyOn.bat
reg add "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie

ProxyOff.bat
reg add "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
netsh winhttp reset proxy

Then right click and "run as administrator" each time you need to turn it on/off.
Its dirty, and MS should really have sorted this properly by attaching proxy settings per-wifi network by now!

Hope this helps
Chris

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I set the proxy via Internet Options and it works for both desktop and Metro IE, and all other Metro apps for that matter.

I've personally tested it numerous times because where I live, we can't have access to Facebook unless we use proxy servers. I have access to Facebook via the Metro IE. 'nuff said!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos