It?s been a month? how is everyone liking the Surface?

Captain_J

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This. It really is superior to other tablets, IMO. But I'm not an app whore or anything...so your mileage may vary. Also, I agree that MS hasn't quite gotten the SmartGlass and Music kinks worked out. But it's "versions 1"...so it works as well as you should reasonably expect.

yea; thefirstrow.eu. It's a sports streaming site. Something along the lines of if it isn't basic flash it won't work.

In regards to the surface rt. I love the hardware, but the software is very beta. My laptop died and I got this as a replacement and it's doing the job. The type cover, usb port, and office make it a legitimate laptop replacement. Also, there really isn't anything in the $600 range that interested me. SSD drive is must these days; really quickens things up, and I go to college so good battery life is vital.

I built a cheap desktop last year. No way would I survive with a surface only tho. I use my desktop more than I used to.

The only app I'm really missing right now is Spotify.... And one that can easily enable flash on a website of my choosing.

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I like it a lot! It does get a little laggy though with a lot of applications open in the background, so I find myself constantly killing running applications.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.

LOL! Sorry, I tried to be helpful!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
In my estimation, most things that fail usually are subject to "infant mortality" - that is, they tend to fail within the first few days. If they don't during that time, they tend to last.

I was being to be comical, trying to give him a reason to get it out and start using it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

:shocked: Gee, I wonder why? Oh yeah, I remember, MS didn't discount the price for BF. Had they offered it on sale for BF, I would've bought one. Since you're not satisified with your Surface, I'll dispose of it for you.

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
:shocked: Gee, I wonder why? Oh yeah, I remember, MS didn't discount the price for BF. Had they offered it on sale for BF, I would've bought one. Since you're not satisified with your Surface, I'll dispose of it for you.

It also has something to do with the fact that the only place you can buy one is at an MS Store....

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It also has something to do with the fact that the only place you can buy one is at an MS Store....

And then be lucky enough to to live close enough to a B&M. Online is nice and all, but I'd like to see it hands-on first, even though I got a feeling that will be slim to none.

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I've had the Surface since launch day, and aside from a few annoyances, I'm pretty darn happy. I am currently on my first business trip carrying the Surface in lieu of a laptop, and am noticing that the minor annoyances become more pronounced when you are trying to do serious work on it. I'm confident that these will be fixed over time, but my frustrations are as follows:

-The email app needs more functionality and more control over settings. I would be happy if it were more like the Windows Phone version, where whenever you enter the app, it goes to the last read email, rather than jumping to the top. Pressing and holding should bring up a context menu right over the item, rather than having to go the bottom of the screen. there needs to be an option to NOT "mark as read" as soon as an item is highlighted. Outlook lets you set the delay for any number of seconds. Finally, in a search, it needs to offer the option of search on the server. Again, this option exists on Windows Phone.

-The People app needs to be able to search other fields than just names. I frequently search by Company name. Windows Phone has this functionality.

-Cutting & Pasting behaviors are inconsistent between the Desktop apps and the Metro apps, so it can get confusing. In all cases, there should be a popup context menu when you press and hold.

-There is no decent Twitter app. I've written about this is another thread, but despite several recent updates, none of them have complete functionality. Rowi is the model of a perfect Twitter app on Windows Phone, but is missing most of its functionality in Windows 8.

I guess all these gripes are more about Windows 8 than about the Surface, but you can't separate the experience.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I had it for about two weeks. It feels like an unfinished product. I had too many issues with the mail client in the beginning. The update fixed most of it. It is a tablet. Why can't I drag an e-mail to a folder? Live mesh is available for windows pro, not available for windows rt. Stock apps are pathetic. Camera app is very buggy. There are very few things you can adjust. Office is really slow. I wish there is a way to adjust the office (menu) fonts. I am old. Keyboard does not come back to live after sleeping for a while. You have to re-attach it for it to work.

I have no complaint for the hardware.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had it for about two weeks. It feels like an unfinished product. I had too many issues with the mail client in the beginning. The update fixed most of it. It is a tablet. Why can't I drag an e-mail to a folder? Live mesh is available for windows pro, not available for windows rt. Stock apps are pathetic. Camera app is very buggy. There are very few things you can adjust. Office is really slow. I wish there is a way to adjust the office (menu) fonts. I am old. Keyboard does not come back to live after sleeping for a while. You have to re-attach it for it to work.

I have no complaint for the hardware.

Sounds like you have a bad unit, especially when I hear the issue of having to reattach the keyboard. I'd swap it out for another one.

What stock apps don't you like? The news app is awesome IMO. The mail client leaves something to be desired right now, but it will get better. All part (and the fun of it for me) of being an early adopter.

pfroo40

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I understand that MS was trying to avoid stepping on its partners toes by not releasing the hardware to competing retailers, but I think they're making a mistake by relying so much on their limited retail presence and on their 3rd parties to promote their products in major retailers. They are putting a lot of money into advertising, which is good, but you still can't walk into most stores and be able to get a reasonably knowledgeable salesperson to talk to or get hands on experience with the Surface specifically.

Regarding BF I don't understand how they consider getting a 50% discount on a second keyboard to be a legitimate deal. I wouldn't pay $10 for a second keyboard, let alone 50% off retail. Give me 50% off keyboards period and that's a deal. Or at least let me buy the 64GB version with keyboard color of my choosing instead of being stuck with the black one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss