It?s been a month? how is everyone liking the Surface?

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It?s been roughly a month since release day now and I was wondering how everyone is getting along using the Surface? Has the newness worn off and it sits in a corner not being used or is it now part of your daily life?

I have a few more weeks till I get to finally use mine and wonder how everyone else is liking it.

CoopII

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still love mine. Being used more than my Windows 8 laptop and my Nexus 7. Sometime this week, my ISP will update my mail server so that it'll work properly with IMAP and I'll be completely happy.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've only had mine for half a month, to be precise (there was a holdup at Miami customs, so I only got it Nov 13th or so). I'm loving it. I use it daily at the hospital and managed to impress my attending and resident by showing them multiple PDFs for review articles + management protocols + looking for info not on an app, but on Nelson's Pediatrics book itself :D

All in all, I'm loving it and I know I'll get the most of it. Now, my 5-year old laptop is another story...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it a lot more. Over time, it's been finding new ways to fit into my lifestyle.

I am not a big tablet user in general, but I've been grabbing it when I want to go to the web quickly or play a game. I haven't used the keyboard that much because I haven't had to really do any work on it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have only had mine just over a week so cant comment on a months use but what i can tell you is this. I cannot put it down and cannot imagine my daily life without it.
I picked up the OS really quickly all the reviewers that complain about it being complicated are probably the same ones that said the lumia 920 was too heavy. My 3 year old daughter had the swipe gestures worked out in an hour and it took the battery running down for me to get it off of her. Its a solid device with a solid OS.

Am using it as a third monitor at work for media and social networks it sits nicely between my main monitors and keyboard so its within easy reach. My commute disappears in a midst of gaming and at home its on hand for cooking, using smartglass with the xbox and its usually in my hands checking social feeds in the ad breaks on TV its like its got its own gravitational field. Its not without its shortcomings and I am under no illusions that there are things to be improved. But I wouldnt swap it for anything.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I love the Surface hardware without question but I am a tiny bit dissatisfied with Windows RT and its ARM optimization. I think MS has some more tweaking to do to make it run faster. When I compare my Surface to Samsungs Ativ with the Atom the Samsung just does everything faster. In some cases much faster. The Tegra 3 in the Surface should have the power to tear through this OS so I think it is just optimization. I would also like to see the mail app improved A LOT.

Overall though I am happy I bought it. In time I am sure MS will improve everything about the software.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Still lovin it. It is starting to show a few problems. The keyboard doesn't always work. Have to disconnect and reconnect. Also doesn't always wake when keyboard opened. IE10 is not so great. RT can't handle drop down menus on websites. I hope it will be fixed with update. It has completely replaced my laptop for personal use. WP8 phone sync/transfer app is limited, but gets the job done. The HDMI connection is hit and miss with certain TVs. Haven't had the time to trouble shoot yet. It is a new generation so I expect problems. But overall I haven't found any deal breakers. It will never replace my work laptop, but for play, it covers everything and even excels in some areas. I do wish the screen was a little better resolution. Hopefully next Gen will get a little better.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got mine on launch day and there has not been a day that I haven't used it. It replaced an old iPad 1 that crashed constantly, so I mostly use Surface for crash-free web browsing. I read news, Skype with friends, and get some work done remotely with Office 2013 software (I just worked on my 2013 Excel budget file last night while in bed). I save everything to either a USB flash drive, or more recently started putting everything to SkyDrive then grabbing the files at work. I also stream Hulu and Netflix.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It has usurped my laptop as most used device. I haven't run into any real problems yet, but drop downs are problematic. I'm not sure if it's a Surface ore an IE issue. Also some links need to be zoomed before I can click them.

Otherwise a solid piece of hardware. I'm pretty happy over all.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to get mine.... Stupid Christmas gift I can't use yet.... Anyways I am curious if it works with my Express-Vu movie/tv website and lots of stuff I am sure as soon as I turn it on I will have a ton of update to complete.

CoopII

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to get mine.... Stupid Christmas gift I can't use yet.... Anyways I am curious if it works with my Express-Vu movie/tv website and lots of stuff I am sure as soon as I turn it on I will have a ton of update to complete.

CoopII

Dude, if it is wrapped up waiting for Christmas, keep in mind you're gonna be 2 months down with your warranty and you haven't even used it yet. If you develop any issues with it, don't you want as much of your warranty available as possible? You really need to get it out and start using it, for the sake of the warranty! :wink:

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I really really love it. It's now my main computer at home, and I use it as a portable device at work sometimes. Two devoted Apple users have expressed positive opinions about it (but they haven't bought one yet). The biggest problem for me is that I'm supposed to give it to my mom by the end of January....

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I have only had it for one week. As someone who works in IT, most of what I do is e-mail and connecting to other machines/devices to do work on them. The Surface actually works very well for both. Today was the first day where I decided I would just carry my surface as my "machine". So far so good. I do wish that there was an Outlook for RT, but the combo of mail/cal/people does do the trick. I could always log into my server via OWA if need be.

I know there will be some quirks that bother me, but I am enjoying this machine A LOT! Using the touch keyboard, and a Bluetooth mouse seems to be a great combo.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Dude, if it is wrapped up waiting for Christmas, keep in mind you're gonna be 2 months down with your warranty and you haven't even used it yet. If you develop any issues with it, don't you want as much of your warranty available as possible? You really need to get it out and start using it, for the sake of the warranty! :wink:

In my estimation, most things that fail usually are subject to "infant mortality" - that is, they tend to fail within the first few days. If they don't during that time, they tend to last.

Revans310

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Funny with my iFad I would use it a few times then forget about it but with the surface my right finger hurts from using it so much.

Skiiddy

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the lucky ones and got mine on 2nd Nov as promised! In fact, typing this on my surface....its been to Mexico and back without a hitch and although it is a little large to use as a Kindle, I downloaded the app used it by the pool and had a lot of queries about what it was. I am lost without it.....it is beautiful and best of all?.....it doesn't begin with "i"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel