I want your honest opinion on the Surface RT

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for providing your own commentary and not simply linking to an article :) And I don't think there is a conspiracy against the RT, or pretty much any non Apple device, but the media is biased towards Apple. It's a fact. Some thing are criticized, unless it's Apple. Take the iPad Mini and it's low res (by today's standard) display. Put that on any other tablet, and it would get slammed in reviews. But because it's Apple, it's a needed feature and it had to be done that way.

I too am very happy that we can keep this a civilized discussion :) Now on to the screen on the iPad Mini... :)

It was actually along with the CPU the main point of criticism in every review. I don't think anybody downplays the importance of that. But please consider two things: Apple actually competes with itself - they introduced the Retina display and raised the bar for everybody, even themselves. And secondly, the iPad Mini screen actually has a higher PPI than the Surface (163 PPI vs 148 PPI). So it's not a bad screen by any means, people are just spoiled by Apple. There are many reasons why they did not put a Retina display on the Mini - technical limitations, costs, weight, battery life etc... You can be damn sure that Apple considered all the pros and cons. And once it's feasible the Mini will get a Retina display too. But they will do it without compromising the overall quality of the device. And of course keeping their healthy profit margins (I don't believe for a second that they have a lower margin on that thing as they do on the big iPad).

The simple truth why people love Apple is because they make damn good products. Again, it's that easy. Take the build quality for example. The Surface is the first tablet that has a comparable build quality to the iPad. How long did that take? Look at all the ****ty Android tablets, it's a disgrace... People are free to not like Apple as a company, but they can't deny that their products are top notch.

And it's not meant to compete with the iPad. There is no use in trying to compete with an iPad, it will end up on the losing end every time. Whether that's right or wrong is open for debate. The RT fits nicely in between an iPad and a laptop. I can list things a Surface RT can do the iPad can't. It doesn't mean one is better then the other.

Whether you like it or not, it does compete with the iPad. And it absolutely has to compete with the iPad, there is no way around that. Ballmer knows it and the consumers know it. The war is on, grab your popcorn and enjoy the show.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
One thing can't be ignored, and this has to do with all non-apple products being covered. A lot of websites and "blogs" have created their existence and made a lot of money climbing with apple. It is their cash cow, and now they live and report from this bubble.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The simple truth why people love Apple is because they make damn good products. Again, it's that easy. Take the build quality for example. The Surface is the first tablet that has a comparable build quality to the iPad. How long did that take? Look at all the ****ty Android tablets, it's a disgrace... People are free to not like Apple as a company, but they can't deny that their products are top notch.

Totally agree. I've been through at least 4 Android tablets, wanting to like each one. But they just aren't there yet, and not even close. I was mainly an Android phone user, but switched to the Lumia 920 and the build quality is excellent. When I hold my Samsung Galaxy Nexus now, it feels so cheap. I am glad to see Microsoft spared no expense on the quality of the Surface.

Whether you like it or not, it does compete with the iPad. And it absolutely has to compete with the iPad, there is no way around that. Ballmer knows it and the consumers know it. The war is on, grab your popcorn and enjoy the show.

Either way, we win because there are a lot of cool tablets coming out.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I completely agree with you - Apple is an excellent hardware company and their equipment is sexy and polished. Where the problem for me comes in, is Apple controls the experience. I had a top Apple consulting company come in to work on an enterprise class solution for AirPlay. Their top engineer said it best: "Apple doesn't play well with others. They will break your network. You have to design your system from the ground up to play by their rules." That rubs me the wrong way. With the iPad, my staff seems like they have to alter how they do business to work around the iPad. That's not a good tool in my view. The product should adapt to how the customer wants to do business. The Surface is the first tablet that takes us in that direction.

Example - I don't feel isolated from my data with the Surface. I have a Documents folder, a Music folder, a Pictures folder, etc. I have access to them and can organize them as I see fit. With iPad I felt Apple was trying to shield me from ever seeing a file system or being able to control my data on the device. Surface has allowed me to connect to nearly all my wireless printers in my office (not the high end production printer or copiers that don't have drivers for RT). With Apple I have to purchase printers with AirPrint to work, or put a device on the network to translate AirPrint commands (such as a product from Lantronix). I also have to have Apple networking equipment to support Bonjour services - my existing IT infrastructure doesn't seem to play well with Bonjour (MDNS) so the AirPrint and AirPlay broadcasts get lost on the network and stop working after 30 minutes to an hour.

As I've mentioned before, there are excellent apps for iPad for production, such as Documents to Go, or QuickOffice Pro HD, that let us work with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files. But they are not complete packages, so my staff has to work around the issue with redline contracts, multisheet spreadsheets with charting capability, etc. Instead of the software giving the user a complete solution (such as someone making Open Office for iOS), we have to work around it. Surface gives us that capability. While I agree with you on the power of a laptop, there are those times when a tablet is more convenient. My CFO, for example, jumped at the concept of being able to work on financial spreadsheets with full Excel while sitting on the train - or even reviewing new files with complete features.

No doubt the iPad is king, and Apple makes great hardware - but Surface just fits our business better by letting us do our work the way we want without having to change our approach.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
To me, IE10 is slow and seems a little buggy even after the tweaks, needs to be much smoother and faster. I think ie10 ranks one of the lowest on tablets?

App selection is poor, yes, it is not about quantity and about quality, but there are not essential popular apps in the app store and not even close to other tablets. There isn't even a facebook app, the people hub doesn't recognize many feeds and the people app is really slow and crashes a lot.

Games are tad expensive and not a very good selection. Need better platformers and RPG type games, i would guess this would be possible to get original xbox type quality on this tablet and maybe some xbox arcade games.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Games are tad expensive and not a very good selection. Need better platformers and RPG type games, i would guess this would be possible to get original xbox type quality on this tablet and maybe some xbox arcade games.

Microsoft is rumored to be working on an Xbox Surface tablet - designed to be a gaming tablet with some compatibility.

As for App selection - give it some time. It's been out for 1 month. Apple didn't have a massive collection of top-notch apps 1 month after the iPad 1 was released - it takes time.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was going to purchase a Surface RT and decided against it and got an Asus Vivo Tab RT instead. It has nearly identical internals to the Surface RT, including the Tegra 3 processor, but adds NFC and has a smaller screen. There were a couple main reasons I went with the Vivo over the Surface:

1. After playing with the Surface at a pop up store, I felt it was too large to use as a stand alone tablet. 10.1", like the Vivo RT, is pushing it in my opinion and the 10.6" of the Surface RT felt unwieldly in hand to me.
2. No NFC on the Surface seemed like a glaring omission to me (I understand why they had to leave it out, but I don't like that they did)
3. The Vivo Tab dock adds extra battery and is better for lap use, which was a huge consideration for me. This is probably the biggest reason. As awesome as I think the touch cover is, 90% of the time I use a keyboard, its on my lap and the Vivo Tab's keyboard is better for that.

Unfortunately, the VivoTab RT also adds some other "features":

1. Screen very noticeably flickers at lower brightness settings while displaying white / light colored content. Go into a dark room to see the full effect.

2. Very cheap and flimsy feeling build quality

3. Issues with color gradients. Do a Google image search for gradients, there is unbelievable banding

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the VivoTab RT also adds some other "features":

1. Screen very noticeably flickers at lower brightness settings while displaying white / light colored content. Go into a dark room to see the full effect.

2. Very cheap and flimsy feeling build quality

3. Issues with color gradients. Do a Google image search for gradients, there is unbelievable banding

Yes, it does flicker at its lowest setting, but I have found that even if you turn it up only slightly, it is still plenty dim for use in a dark room and stops flickering. This problem was really caused by Asus allowing too dim a setting for the backlight.

I completely disagree with point 2. Does it feel as premium as a Surface or iPad, no it doesn't. But it doesn't fell cheap either. It feels better than Samsung tablets do (at least their Android ones).

3 yes, it has grading issues.

That said, no product is perfect. I think that despite their similarities the Vivo and Surface, which are both good products are both good for different sets of people.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok so the one thing I am a little bothered by is watching videos on the surface. Obviously the software that renders the text isn't going to work and the resolution is low, wish I had a Surface Pro but not gonna shell out a thousand more dollars to watch videos at 1080. But I would really like it...anyone want to buy it for me?

Touch cover really takes some time depending on how much you type on it. I think probably I have finally gotten used to it and there are close to no errors when I type. At first it was a little hard because the spacing was a little different and the key obviously don't have a lot of give so the feel is massively different. It is pretty amazing though.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Is 720P resolution that poor on a 10.6" screen?

I remember the days when 1080p was still new and that it was really only something that was "visually" noticeable to the human eye on monitors/screens that were 46" and larger.

I actually found this site after posting my comment:

1ft away is pretty close in my opinion to take advantage of 1080p according to this site. 2ft seems more realistic, which shows that 720p would be optimal.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

p4pb8955195.jpg

Hanoveur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I originally started with an iPad...in fact, I've owned two iPads and three iPhones. While I liked Apple devices, I find the whole cult of mac to be extremely creepy. I never liked walking into a crowded Apple store...I always joked that it felt like an atheist walking into the middle of Sunday mass. When I bought "The New iPad" people congratulated me as I was walking out. CREEPY! Just leave me alone and let me buy my electronics in peace (I swear I heard Hotel California playing when I walked in).

After seeing The Surface in action, I finally saw a device that fit into my overall ecosystem better. I've always built my own PCs and run Windows. I also disagreed with the way Apple handled the iPad 4 announcement. I had purchased my iPad 3 two months prior, and when the guy said, "This one already makes the last one look old" I had it with Apple. Plus I was tired of the grid of icons, having to use iTunes, no mouse support made editing text a fat-finger nightmare, and the fact that I owned a phone and a tablet that everyone else on the planet owned...and they all looked the same! There's no more "Thinking Different" going on here..

I originally pre-ordered my Surface RT and had it delivered to me. I even took the day off to accept it form FedEx. I used it for about four days before I started feeling a little buyers remorse. What happened is that I started looking at my other Windows 8 touch-screen options and wondered if I shouldn't have gotten a Thinkpad Twist or a Yoga instead. The other problem was that I saw all the apps in the Windows 8 store on my PC that I thought I was going to be able to run on The Surface RT. Turns out that there are Windows 8 only apps in the app store and that also led to some disappointment.

So I did some searching, discovered the Think Pad Twist and decided to ship my Surface RT back to Redmond. I picked up the Think Pad from Staples and used it for a few days. Thats when I realized that this was overkill. Here I had in my hands a full Windows 8 Ultrabook Hybrid that I was using mostly in tablet mode. LOL. Then I read about the firmware upgrade that seemed to improve SurfaceRT performance and also had read that Google finally ported their search app to Windows RT. OMG! I should have waited!! :)

I suddenly started to miss the SurfaceRT because it did exactly what I needed and nothing more. So I ended up taking the Think Pad back (it had a horrible battery life anyways...less than four hours) and grabbing another Surface RT from our local kiosk at the mall. I saved about $300 doing so.

Even funnier is that my contracting company gave me a Nexus 7 during this time. So I now own a SurfaceRT and a Nexus 7.

I will say that I really love the SurfaceRT. The new Windows RT OS works nicely on it and you will get addicted to the gestures. I think reading news on it is the best experience, better than even the iPad. The Split Screen has been used more than I thought it would. I like to watch podcasts during my lunch at work, and this lets me watch a podcast AND surf the web at the same time. You cant do that right now on iOS. In fact, when I use my Nexus 7, I often forget it doesn't support Windows 8 gestures and I've found myself trying to split the screen on more than one occasion! :)

My only caveat to SurfaceRT is that the apps aren't coming as quickly as I'd like them to. Every day I check the store and it's the same stuff over and over again. There are still a few un-optimized games (Pinball FX 2 is the biggest offender) that are still laggy with horrible frame rates. On the other hand, there have been a few updates and additions of Windows 8 only apps that I use on my desktop PC. Finally seeing Hydro Thunder run at a smooth frame rate has alleviated my fears that RT wouldn't make a good gaming machine. It's actually quite impressive now...and works with my wired XBOX 360 controller to boot!

You mentioned the Atom tablet, and this also makes me nervous. Which platform does Microsoft intend to support more? Atom or ARM? I just wish Microsoft would divulge it's plans for Surface RT.

As I mentioned, I also own a Nexus 7 and really have fallen in love with the Android Jellybean OS. I've noticed the sudden surge of apps that are appearing in the Google Play store, many of them were things I ran on the iPad and am happy to have them back again. I think if the Surface RT fails, then I'll be moving over to a Nexus 10.

So would I recommend the SurfaceRT? Definitely. Just be aware that the apps (especially games) seem to be coming at a snails pace at the moment. I am happy that games like TapTiles and Minesweeper have finally made their way to the platform. I just hope more developers decide to jump on board...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried to hang on but it wasn't to be. I got an RMA for my Surface RT tonight. Its headed back to Microsoft.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I debated, and debated....read review after review, and decided to buy it, and if i didnt like it, id return it.

Let me start off by saying, i own an ipad, and a rooted android phone - I hate the ipad, love my phone, but Google has been annoying me lately. I am really intrigued by WP8, and will seriously consider it in a year when my contract is up. I hate my that i have to plug the ipad into my computer, and do everything through itunes - which is the worst software known to man imho.

Ive had it for 4 days now, and can say, ive only picked up my ipad one time, and it was because there is no NFL Ticket app for windows 8 yet. So many people complain that it doesnt have this app or that app - really, what apps do you actually use on a regular basis on your ipad. For me, the only ones missing are Flipboard (Bento is just as good), Chrome (full version of IE 10 beats mobile chrome by a longshot), Autocad WS, Photoshop touch, and Dropbox (skydrive has more storage free, and is baked into the device). The IE browser can view, and use all your google stuff - drive, music, g+. etc until google makes an app for windows 8, and if they dont, then they are just plain stupid, because i only give it a few months before im off google music, and drive, and on xbox music, and skydrive. Full MS office - dont think i need to beat a dead horse on this...The biggest reason i see to get this thing, is REMOTE DESKTOP....people dont get that running official windows remote desktop is 1000x's better than using logmein, etc. My surface will be my mobile computer - when i need more intense applications, i can remote into my computer at home, and run remote apps like AutoCAD, Photoshop CS whatever, Illustrator, etc....The pro version will only get half the battery life, and let me tell you how well graphics intense programs run on ultrabooks - they dont. You get essentially the same performance running remote. Only issue, is that you need to understand networking, etc in order to set this up. Ive scoured the boards, and figured it out, and my Ipad is now going to be a hand me down to my 3 year old, because thats what the thing is - Itoy

Lets talk about the hardware...this thing has usb port that you can plug in most if not all of your periphals...mice, full size keyboards, hard drives, etc. has expandable storage, the plusses go on and on and on. The Apps will come, and if they dont, run remote. My laptop at home is 3 years old, I plan to upgrade, but not with a laptop, with a good desktop that I can run remotely from my tablet.

Biggest con in my book, is that MS left out support for Silverlight - which is their own technology. It makes absolutely no sense, and prevents me from streaming Time Warner Cable through the browser.........guess ill have to hold out hope that they make an Windows 8 app, and port to RT - same with nfl ticket.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The Surface RT is an amazing piece of hardware, but if falls short on the software side. I had one from launch day, for just under two weeks, and ended up returning it. While I did use it daily, it was a frustrating experience because of the following issues:

• Slow performance in apps, including first part apps: Mail, People, Store.
  • First party apps feel like half-baked, 0.1 versions, that have just "enough" features to qualify as "complete". They're sparse, and barley take advantage of the platforms UI features. A terrible demonstration of leading by example.
  • Unreliable "Play-To" functionality: Brilliant when it worked, but it would drop randomly or refuse to recognize devices on the network at all, only way to fix it, reboot the Surface.
  • XBox Music and Smartglass had buggy UIs, especially in regards to the lower swipe based bar.
  • Smartglass connection dropping while multitasking between apps.
  • IE10 reloads a page whenever you hit back.... this is extremely annoying. It's got memory, use it..
What really bothered me at the end of it all, was my first generation iPad had better performance and reliability using Smartglass than the Surface did. That's just embarrassing.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
...The biggest reason i see to get this thing, is REMOTE DESKTOP....people dont get that running official windows remote desktop is 1000x's better than using logmein, etc. My surface will be my mobile computer - when i need more intense applications, i can remote into my computer at home, and run remote apps...

Biggest con in my book, is that MS left out support for Silverlight - which is their own technology. It makes absolutely no sense, and prevents me from streaming Time Warner Cable through the browser.........guess ill have to hold out hope that they make an Windows 8 app, and port to RT - same with nfl ticket.

RDP is my main use for the Surface RT right now. Prior to this, I ran a VNC server on my machines I needed access to, and a client on my iPad. It's so nice now to use the Surface with remote desktop. The mouse alone makes it worth while.

And I'm with you on the TWC app. I still reach for my iPad a lot, and the TWC app is one of the reasons why. Hopefully they come up with a solution.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I returned not because I didn't love it, because I did. I owned an IPAD 1,3 and thought the Surface blew it out of the water. My main concern was the support from MS. The sales I believe are poor because MS is so misguided. I wish they sold it in more places then just their stores and website, and they really need to either lower the price or add the keyboard free. If they do these two things it will sell. Now I'm just waiting to see what MS does with the Surface or wait for the Surface 2. I have no intention of getting the Pro. Don't need it.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I returned not because I didn't love it, because I did. I owned an IPAD 1,3 and thought the Surface blew it out of the water. My main concern was the support from MS. The sales I believe are poor because MS is so misguided. I wish they sold it in more places then just their stores and website, and they really need to either lower the price or add the keyboard free. If they do these two things it will sell. Now I'm just waiting to see what MS does with the Surface or wait for the Surface 2. I have no intention of getting the Pro. Don't need it.

This I do not understand. So you think it's a superior tablet to what you have, yet you returned it because of something that might or might not happen? And what kind of support do you need? If you bought the tablet, liked it more than your iPad, why not keep it?

And you're concerned because of lackluster sales, but didn't you just return yours!!?? Sorry, that's kind of hypocritical. I mean no offense to you, so don't take this post the wrong way. But I just don't understand your reasoning.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my keyboard on my Surface RT to the Type keyboard and it makes all of the difference in the world. Feels like a new and better machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo