I want your honest opinion on the Surface RT

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Simple. If it doesn't sell developers aren't going to develop and it will die and I'm stuck with a brick. I'd rather wait it out and see what happens first. I honestly don't think MS is doing the RT right by any means. Until that changes I don't trust their business model for this. I'd be happy to buy it back if things change. Again, drop the price and make it more widely available.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Simple. If it doesn't sell developers aren't going to develop and it will die and I'm stuck with a brick. I'd rather wait it out and see what happens first. I honestly don't think MS is doing the RT right by any means. Until that changes I don't trust their business model for this. I'd be happy to buy it back if things change. Again, drop the price and make it more widely available.

Ok, I understand. I guess it's a risk with any new product. I bought the HP TouchPad and look what happened to that. I also have the BlackBerry PlayBook, and it seems to be making somewhat of a resurgence with the impending BB 10 release.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So funny you mention the BB Playbook. I was sitting next to someone on the train today using one with his BB. I didn't know what the **** it was at first then I saw the BB symbol. It's the first I've seen in the wild.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I understand that thought process to a degree. If we, the consumers, don't buy the product, developers aren't going to dev for it. Just because it doesn't have XYZ app, doesn't it still get on the internet, handle email, etc? Just because it doesn't have a particular app, the device doesn't become a brick. As NickA says, we have 2 HP Touchpads in the house. Guess what? They still do what we purchased them to do, for the most part (internet, gaming, email, video). Granted they could have done more with support from HP, but afterall, they are consumption devices, they still function as a tablet.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
There's a few problems I see right now.

1. All of the x86 tablets that are priced around the same as the RT work nicely if used like you would use a Netbook or ARM tablet: as media devices, and stay away from heavy applications like Photoshop etc. The reviews I've read so far have remarked that they're pretty zippy if you stay mostly in the Modern UI but performance drops in desktop mode. Because of this, I've decided that if I'm going to buy a x86, then I'm going to move up to the $1000+ range get an Ivy Bridge or higher CPU, and use it like a laptop. There comes a point where a tablet crosses that threshold of being to large and unwieldy to use as a handheld touchscreen, and the ones currently available in x86 all appear to have crossed that threshold. Someone remarked that Clover Trail are hot on ARM's heels. Yes they are, BUT they're still not there right now.

2. This leads me to my second conundrum: If and when Clover Trail does totally surpass ARM and allows for RT sized tablets AND zippier performance in desktop mode AND comes in at a price point of around $700+ then I can see that happening in about... 1 year. Leaving me with an RT only one year old that I paid the same for as I could buy a x86 tablet that's evolved past all those shortcomings. That's the risk of being an early adopter. I do NOT want to be like one of those guys who paid $700 for a Blackberry Playbook. I bought my Playbook for $200 just 9 months after it was launched.

That's my honest opinion of the RT. I think Clover Trail chips are going to completely overtake it in about 1 year, along with x86 tablets for the same price range. If that doesn't concern you, then I will say I think the device itself is great. I just think it's only going to remain that way for about a year when compared to its full Windows 8 x86 cousins by then.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is a new product. MS isn't Apple. They can't slap their symbol on it and it will sell on-line. I believe people have to see it live and touch it to become believers. Apple does a ton of biz on their site MS does not. I don't get MS strategy of this type of sales? Or the simple fact they have room to drop the price 100 bucks. Isn't sales more important then profit at this point? ****, if they want it to sell for the Holidays drop the price $150 or at the very least give the keyboard away for free with a purchase. This isn't rocket science....

GZAZ

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ordered one yesterday as a Christimas gift for my wife. Expecting to get it tomorrow afternoon. I'll post as soon as we try it for a few hours. The biggest concern has always been - Is it enough to do everything I need and replace my laptop? My wife chats with her friends using windows live messenger and facebook chat, surfs the internet, internet streaming, and occasionally uses MS office, I am hoping Windows RT Surface is enough.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ordered one yesterday as a Christimas gift for my wife. Expecting to get it tomorrow afternoon. I'll post as soon as we try it for a few hours. The biggest concern has always been - Is it enough to do everything I need and replace my laptop? My wife chats with her friends using windows live messenger and facebook chat, surfs the internet, internet streaming, and occasionally uses MS office, I am hoping Windows RT Surface is enough.

Windows Live Messenger will be gone and Skype will replace it, so yes it does everything she wants.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Putting mine up on Ebay this weekend. I was going to keep it, but I find myself not using it even though I take it with me every day. When I'm home I'm back on my ipad.
I don't even think my kids will use it over the ipad1.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Putting mine up on Ebay this weekend. I was going to keep it, but I find myself not using it even though I take it with me every day. When I'm home I'm back on my ipad.

How much are you listing it for? I use mine less and less now, but I'm like that with all new toys that I get, except for my Lumia 920. I picked up a Chromebook the other night and I'm hooked on that. I will however pick up the Surface Pro next month. Although the latest offering from Samsung looks nice, especially with the keyboard dock. Tons of battery life with the tablet docked.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

What are you posting it for?

Edit: I mean how much money are you posting it for?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
What are you posting it for?

Edit: I mean how much money are you posting it for?

I asked him the same thing but we might not see him back to this forum if he's selling it.

I'm letting mine go for $450.00. It's the 32GB + Touch cover. I think that's all I'm going to get out of it this time of year, but I want to get it sold in case the price drops at some point in the near future.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the top tier apps are now coming in at a faster pace, and pretty soon I will have no reason to go back to my desktop. If the December update is as good as the November update, this thing will only get better. Microsoft isn't even using all the features of the Tegra3 yet, but when they do, battery life could be as good as the iPad.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I asked him the same thing but we might not see him back to this forum if he's selling it.

I'm letting mine go for $450.00. It's the 32GB + Touch cover. I think that's all I'm going to get out of it this time of year, but I want to get it sold in case the price drops at some point in the near future.

Didn't you just scold me for doing the same thing?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Didn't you just scold me for doing the same thing?

*Hangs head low*, probably..

But I didn't understand your reasoning, and you explained it. My apologies for the crude response in that post.

I'll but anything if you slap a "new" sticker on it. I did really want the Surface RT, and I had a client that wanted an app to use in the field, so I needed something for testing. And I still think it's a great tablet, but I need the ability the run a few legacy apps so I'm planning on the Surface Pro.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
*Hangs head low*, probably..

But I didn't understand your reasoning, and you explained it. My apologies for the crude response in that post.

I'll but anything if you slap a "new" sticker on it. I did really want the Surface RT, and I had a client that wanted an app to use in the field, so I needed something for testing. And I still think it's a great tablet, but I need the ability the run a few legacy apps so I'm planning on the Surface Pro.

No worries and I understand. I'm just waiting for a price drop.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm about to put this thing up on Ebay and my wife tells me not to. She says the kids can you it for school work and we can get rid of that old bulky laptop. LOL guess I'm keeping it. I have a old gateway usb keyboard they can use for typing long papers if they don't like the touchpad.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Running Remote Apps from your home computer onto the Surface through Kim Knight's RemoteApp tool makes this thing a legit laptop replacement. I was thinking of returning and going with the pro....but I have full access and remote control of anything on my desktop computer at home wherever I go. Not having to use a 3rd party app, like logmein, or teamviewer speeds up the remote control immensely, and really only lags when your doing something dynamic like 3d stuff...just don't try to play a video, copy it to your local drive first.

MS should really advertise this feature if they want to sell this thing. I showed a few of my friends what this thing does, they went out and bought themselves one too.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't have tome to go into full detail here. But the TL;DR is I really enjoy mine. It can't replace my main computer. But is is definitely enough for my main work travel/consumption/couch browsing/on the go machine.

Apps are coming in slowly but surely. The browser is good enough to make up the difference for now. Office and the touch cover are definite pluses. I haven't noticed any sustained sluggishness. Only when my girlfriend leaves 7-10 apps open. I notice a little hesitation between app switching. thats about it. I actually think msft should tout multi-user support on this. It's really great. I have been using remote desktop extensively for work and that is great too. There's definitely a learning curve for the gestures, but once you have them down it's really fast to multitask. I thought about waiting for the pro, but the price difference and the fact that i don't really need legacy apps made this the right choice for me.
Which remote desktop? I was planning on using TeamViewer. If you're using the native one, how did you get it set up?

I don't have tome to go into full detail here. But the TL;DR is I really enjoy mine. It can't replace my main computer. But is is definitely enough for my main work travel/consumption/couch browsing/on the go machine.

Apps are coming in slowly but surely. The browser is good enough to make up the difference for now. Office and the touch cover are definite pluses. I haven't noticed any sustained sluggishness. Only when my girlfriend leaves 7-10 apps open. I notice a little hesitation between app switching. thats about it. I actually think msft should tout multi-user support on this. It's really great. I have been using remote desktop extensively for work and that is great too. There's definitely a learning curve for the gestures, but once you have them down it's really fast to multitask. I thought about waiting for the pro, but the price difference and the fact that i don't really need legacy apps made this the right choice for me.
Which remote desktop? I was planning on using TeamViewer. If you're using the native one, how did you get it set up?

Running Remote Apps from your home computer onto the Surface through Kim Knight's RemoteApp tool makes this thing a legit laptop replacement. I was thinking of returning and going with the pro....but I have full access and remote control of anything on my desktop computer at home wherever I go. Not having to use a 3rd party app, like logmein, or teamviewer speeds up the remote control immensely, and really only lags when your doing something dynamic like 3d stuff...just don't try to play a video, copy it to your local drive first.

MS should really advertise this feature if they want to sell this thing. I showed a few of my friends what this thing does, they went out and bought themselves one too.

Does it require Enterprise/Ultimate?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm using XP pro sp3, and it works like a charm. I'm not sure which versions work, but I did read that ultimate works someplace else

Does it require Enterprise/Ultimate?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss