Remote Desktop

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone been able to use your Surface to connect to your home computer over the internet? I've been able to do it on the same network but have had no luck on other different networks. Tried VPN but still have been unsuccessful.

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been messing with this for awhile still and no luck. I can get the Surface to connect via VPN to my main computer but it still seems like they don't see each other even though it is connected. Been super frustrated on this one.

neonstar

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have tried Remote desktop app in Store, and failed. So I think it is only for the internal network. However, you can use Remote desktop connection app included in Desktop mode to connect from the external network. I haven't tried on VPN, but with a domain address it has worked perfectly.

liamog

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have it working great. You will have to forward port 3389 on your router to the PC hosting the remote desktop connection. You will then need to connect to the computer using your routers public IP address. For conveniance I have setup of CNAME record on my host so I can connect to rdp.mydomain.com. It works really well. Tried to get a VPN setup instead but had trouble tunneling out of my college network.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have tried Remote desktop app in Store, and failed. So I think it is only for the internal network. However, you can use Remote desktop connection app included in Desktop mode to connect from the external network. I haven't tried on VPN, but with a domain address it has worked perfectly.

The Remote Desktop App in the store works fine over the internet. I use it to connect to my office PC.

Captain_J

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You have to set up a dynamic dns which is a web address the corresponds to the global IP address of your house. From there you need to have a static local IP address for your computer and port 3389 has to be forwarded.

I had my working really well but it randomly stopped working. Don't know why. I can remote into my college no problem tho.

popartist

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I've been able to use the Remote Desktop app, as well as the desktop client, to successfully to log into my work network from home. Don't keep my home computer on when I am away so I haven't tried it there, although when I am at home I have been able to successfully just go through Homegroup to transfer files from my desktop to the Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa