Good App for Playing MKV's

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So I just ran into this app and I believe it is pretty new. It's called mobile.HD Media Player. Now as it states it still doesn't play mkv files with DTS. I realize that a lot may have DTS in there mkv files but they say that support is coming for that and if they do end up getting it to work it would be perfect. I played quite a few mkv files at 720p and it played it very smooth with no crashes! I haven't been able to get any other app to actually play a smooth video without messing up or not being compatible so I think that the app really has some potential and hope that they update soon.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I will try this out. I saw today that the VLC team is trying to raise money for a Metro version. However, that is months away and an RT version even longer out.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I will try this out. I saw today that the VLC team is trying to raise money for a Metro version. However, that is months away and an RT version even longer out.

Yeah it would be soo exciting to see VLC come to RT hey! that made me happy just knowing they are trying to get on the platform!
Here is the link for that app.

mobile.HD Media Player

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
VLC's donation is not for an ARM version at this moment. That means that it will not run on your Surface RT.

They say that they are going to work on a Windows 8 version (x86/x64) first, but then hopefully they'll be able to get a Windows RT / ARM version. On top of that, they're not sure that they will be allowed to put an app in the store with the API calls they use.

In other words, only donate to VLC's Kickstarter if you want to, don't do it with the expectation of getting VLC on your Surface.

Now, there are two different applications that will play MKV on a Surface RT that are already in the store. The first is mobile.HD. This one has a really good interface, but has crashed on a couple of my MKV files (files that only contain the supported Dolby Digital audio, by the way). It also doesn't seem to play files that use AAC audio, in addition to the mentioned DTS. The biggest downside though, is that it doesn't support the "Devices" charm, for support to Play To the 360.

The second is PressPlay Video, which added experimental MKV support in a recent update. This one has been more stable in playing my DD and AAC MKV files. It also does work with the Devices charm. However, it still doesn't support DTS audio, and more importantly, it has an annoying one-time preprocessing step that must be done for each video file that you play (until it saves a few MB file for each video).

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I fail to see why the VLC developers are even bothering with an x86 version of the app. The current app available on their website works perfectly in Windows 8. Sure, you'll get a prettier, full screen interface with a Metro version, but that's more essential to Windows RT users than Windows 8 users. The VLC developers really got it backwards on this one.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I fail to see why the VLC developers are even bothering with an x86 version of the app. The current app available on their website works perfectly in Windows 8. Sure, you'll get a prettier, full screen interface with a Metro version, but that's more essential to Windows RT users than Windows 8 users. The VLC developers really got it backwards on this one.

Well, redoing an interface is the easy part. Reworking it for ARM is going to be a ton of work with potentially no payoff (if Microsoft doesn't let it in the Store anyway).

With that being the case, I can see why they'd want to do the x86 Windows 8 version first.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, redoing an interface is the easy part. Reworking it for ARM is going to be a ton of work with potentially no payoff (if Microsoft doesn't let it in the Store anyway).

With that being the case, I can see why they'd want to do the x86 Windows 8 version first.

Exactly.

Also there is the issue that pretty much all iOS players are facing right now - Dolby is asking ridiculous licensing prices for their codes which, especially for a free player like VLC, makes the outlook for a RT version of VLC even more grim.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre