Why Should I Not Get The Surface RT?

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I understand the core differences between the two (PRO and RT) however why should I not get the RT version? I'm looking for what are the hidden limitations. I played around with the Surface RT in the Microsoft store and thoroughly enjoyed it as a quick tablet meant for internet browsing and document editing. I do prefer to use Google Chrome and I believe that does not work with the RT version. So how is it determined what programs do or don't work? (It seems primarily apps from the marketplace do) For example my printer has software that must be installed in order to use the printer. Can I not print from my Surface then? I really find it difficult to justify spending so much on an upgraded tablet (PRO version) when I could just get a laptop for a better powerhouse.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks guys!

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Your printer should work fine as Microsoft has been boasting about its thousands of built in drivers.

You sound like you suite the RT better.

The only reason I am waiting for the Pro is because I am a designer and need ( light ) 3D CAD programs and PhotoShop and the like. I wish I didn't because the extra cost, weight, thickness and half battery life are slight downfalls of the pro

LimeSoda

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What printer do you have ? I setup a wireless canon pixma and printing is great from the surface.

Limitation
Silverlight not supported so SkyGo (in the UK) won't work unless a proper app is built for it (although there are indications that sky is building something for win 8)

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I think when the OP mentions the printer, he may be talking about some of the extras that come with the printer. Like one of my printers shows ink levels. I don't get that info if I use that printer on my Surface RT.

To answer your question of why you should not get the Surface RT: the "what if" factor. What if you want to install Chrome, or some other application that doesn't come from the Windows Store. I really like the Surface RT, but it's getting less use because for me it's just not a great tablet experience; I'd rather use my iPad. But as a travel companion when I'm away from my office it's great.

I guess I should have asked this before answering, but what do you plan on using the tablet for?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well, my printer has a web server, so I can just open up a web browser and view the ink levels :)

Microsoft just released a Trackpad Settings app that shows you can show device info if you want so it is just going to take Canon, HP, et al to develop metro control panels.

I bought a Surface day one, I was first in line. I used it heavily for a while, then it sat for a while, now I find myself coming back to it more now that the apps are starting to trickle in. At the current rate, in a month or two things should be tolerable and I should find myself using the desktop less and less.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For me the surface is great for surfing the web. There may not be many apps but IE does a great job in bringing you access to those websites you would normally access with an app. As for printing my printer is hooked up to our router. The Surface can print to it without any problems. I really love my Surface. I use it for 80% of my web browsing. And having that usb port will come great when we go on vacation and want to upload our pictures from our dslr camera to Facebook to share with our family. Surface works for me.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My wireless Pixma tells me when the ink levels are getting low just fine when I print from my Surface. I don't think that printing from the tablet would be any kind of limitation unless the device is particularly old or obscure.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
well, my printer has a web server, so I can just open up a web browser and view the ink levels :)

Microsoft just released a Trackpad Settings app that shows you can show device info if you want so it is just going to take Canon, HP, et al to develop metro control panels.

I bought a Surface day one, I was first in line. I used it heavily for a while, then it sat for a while, now I find myself coming back to it more now that the apps are starting to trickle in. At the current rate, in a month or two things should be tolerable and I should find myself using the desktop less and less.

My printer is a few years old and doesn't get much use, but I'm definitely going to look into a printer like the one you mentioned.

I got my Surface on release day too, and it was all I used for two weeks straight, but it doesn't get too much use now. Like you, I will come back to it when I hear of an app released for it that I'm interested in. My Lumia 920 is just the opposite; it has been my favorite phone over the last 5 phones I've had. I've don't the iPhone thing twice now, and have probably had a half dozen or so Android phones. BB 10 looks pretty cool and I'll probably check it out. But right now the 920 is the Windows device for me.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Printing probably won't be the biggest issue you'll confront with the RT. Trying to use it as a "tablet" will be.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
that is the most bizarre statement I have read today. Are you insinuating that Windows 8 is not suitable for tablet use?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
that is the most bizarre statement I have read today. Are you insinuating that Windows 8 is not suitable for tablet use?

I think he meant to say the Surface RT is not suitable for tablet use, not Windows 8. There are some things the Surface doesn't do well, or doesn't offer the best tablet experience for some people, reading a book comes to mind.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Your printer should work fine as Microsoft has been boasting about its thousands of built in drivers.

You sound like you suite the RT better.

The only reason I am waiting for the Pro is because I am a designer and need ( light ) 3D CAD programs and PhotoShop and the like. I wish I didn't because the extra cost, weight, thickness and half battery life are slight downfalls of the pro

I am an architect, and for the same reasons, i purchased the RT version - lighter, longer battery life, etc. Luckilly, I have rooted android phone with wifi tether unlimited data that I can configure when not on a wifi network. The remote desktop function is somewhat difficult to configure. I have it working on my home network, but have to figure out how to set up static ip address. Once that happens, I can run all of my applications remotely - ie. AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop, etc. There is even a way to set up remote apps - and they have gotten good reviews [GUIDE] RemoteApps Desktop Apps - xda-developers - I am still trying to get this to work, I am not good with networking terms, and such, and have reached out for help, but I am confident that it will work.

Also, as windows 8 becomes more popular, I think the touch apps will populate the store. Its probably only a matter of months before Photoshop touch, and AutoCAD WS are available. When the time comes, I am going to get a kick a$$ desktop, and use my tablet as remote control when traveling....ie - no more laptop

vdek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I spent 8 hours+ a day in front of multiple sessions of Unigraphics NX CAD/CAM. I would not want to do any serious work on a 10" screen and that's why I didn't go for a Surface Pro.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Printing probably won't be the biggest issue you'll confront with the RT. Trying to use it as a "tablet" will be.
I have no idea what you're saying here. I use my RT as a tablet right now without issue. However, when I tried to use it as a toaster I ran into difficulty. I'm just waiting on the proper app to come out.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am a little confused. I just bought the Microsoft Surface RT. I am confident what I bought is a tablet. It requires apps just like every other tablet on the market to become fully functional and useful. I have an Asus Transformer Infinity tablet. And it works the same way as the Surface. You install apps to accomplish things you want to do. Yes, Google has 700k+ apps and Microsoft is lagging behind at the moment. Given time I expect the app gap to shrinken
As far as printers, do a search in the market to see if your printer manufacturer has an app. HP has one for Windows 8, but truthfully didn't look on the Surface to see if it is installed. And many printers today have web print functions, such as HP's eprint.
Not sure why anyone would say it isn't a tablet other than someone who just wants bad mouth Microsoft without even trying it out.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea what you're saying here. I use my RT as a tablet right now without issue. However, when I tried to use it as a toaster I ran into difficulty. I'm just waiting on the proper app to come out.

Not sure why anyone would say it isn't a tablet other than someone who just wants bad mouth Microsoft without even trying it out.

That poster wasn't saying it's not a tablet. He was saying it doesn't do some "tablet" things well. Like I mentioned, reading. It's awkward to hold in portrait mode for reading, and in landscape it's somewhat wide and the lack of rounded edges may make it uncomfortable for some.

The Surface RT is a little hard to define: is it a tablet, laptop, net book, ultra book? Maybe Laplet, I don't know. It's whatever the user makes it out to be.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I am misunderstanding what he intended to say. But just like any other product on the market. There are things that my Droid tablet does better than my Surface and vice versa. People need to choose which product best fits their needs.

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, Surface is different-no doubt about that. And yes, it is awkward as an ereader but that's what my Kobo is for, and even if I had an iPad, I'd still use my Kobo. E reading is close to the last thing on my tablet priority list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)