All that talk about 450k devices support? Yeah, that story is getting retold under our noses.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Remember when they were bragging at the Surface presser about all the devices you could use and great printer support? GO check out the Windows 8 compatibility list for RT, devices that were previously listed as working or "limited compatiblity" now have a big fat red X beside them. Real bait and switch there Microsoft. And what luck, out of all the printers that work, all of the ones I happen to own don't.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) I don't see much of a change in most areas other than user feedback having identified some drivers as not compatible for some devices.
2) With respect to printers, virtually every printer on the list that is not compatible is from a single manufacturer. Where do you think the source of the problem might be?
3) I have yet to find a device that is not compatible other than a couple scanners and a ca 2008 Panasonic all in one laser printer that barely worked with Vista and had no Windows 7 drivers. I didn't expect the scanners to work and would have been shocked if the Panasonic suddenly was more than a fax machine.
Personally I have seen nothing to justify whining about bait and switch. If you have an issue with a specific device made in the past couple years bring it up to them and to the device manufacturer.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Remember when they were bragging at the Surface presser about all the devices you could use and great printer support? GO check out the Windows 8 compatibility list for RT, devices that were previously listed as working or "limited compatiblity" now have a big fat red X beside them. Real bait and switch there Microsoft. And what luck, out of all the printers that work, all of the ones I happen to own don't.

what printers are you using? I have been travelling with my surface from home to different clients, and have printed on 10 different devices without issue.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
yeah its actually too bad when you get a device that isn't working, I know how frustrating it is... for me though its been the opposite! I think every single thing I have plugged in or set up wirelessly has worked flawlessly. I just bought an Epson wireless printer, hooked it up in a minute and was done. I think for an iPad like tablet competitor this thing is killer!

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
First of all, "add printers" only worked for printers on other computers at my home. I have to advanced option to add one network printer. Second, I have a Konica Magic Color laser printer and surface RT did not install. The printer is not old at all.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's because a lot of printer manufacturers use proprietary communication with their devices (especially on low-end stuff) instead of standards like PCL.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea RT can see my Canon MX850 but it can't print to it. But printers are not expensive, so I'll just buy another one so the kids can print their home work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3