Tethering Surface to Cell Phone

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my 4g Galaxy Nexus (rooted) for wifi tethering my ipad for a while now, and decided to upgrade my itoy to a device that actually can do some work for me. Only thing is, that when i turn on my hotspot, the surface sees it, and i can connect, but it tells me that connection is limited, and nothing works. Not sure why - as i can connect fine with my ipad. Any suggestions why this might happen?

LimeSoda

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue too on one or two occasions when I was out and about. However recently its been working better at home. The 3g signal is much better at home, so I wonder if that's related (I placed the phone against the window to get the best signal indoors)

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I tether my Surface to my HD7 and no issues. There was a couple of times that I get the same issue as you, but all I did was restart both devices and problem solved. Since then, it has always connected just fine.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I tether my Surface to my HD7 and no issues. There was a couple of times that I get the same issue as you, but all I did was restart both devices and problem solved. Since then, it has always connected just fine.

Thanks, will try to restart, and see what happens

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I tether to my Lumia 920 no problems, I have noticed that if the signal isn't good like 1 bar the Surface reports limited. Make sure you have applied all the windows updates to the surface.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with my Lumina 920 had to restart the device and that fixed the issue. I had only just restarted the phone the night before so this could be a on going issue.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK - so im still getting limited connectivity for tethering - Ive tried all of the wifi registry tweaks, etc, but am not having any luck. My phone broadcasts just fine - my ipad connects, my old android phone will connect, my wifes android phone, even my xp laptop will connect...but for some reason my surface RT says limited connectivity - Ive tried WPA, WPA2, etc. no luck. Makes no sense, and is really crippling me in my efforts to take this thing places with no wifi. At this point, if I know im going someplace without wifi, and will need a bigger screen than my phone, I am forced to take my ipad (sigh). Anyone else having this issue?

I have been using my 4g Galaxy Nexus (rooted) for wifi tethering my ipad for a while now, and decided to upgrade my itoy to a device that actually can do some work for me. Only thing is, that when i turn on my hotspot, the surface sees it, and i can connect, but it tells me that connection is limited, and nothing works. Not sure why - as i can connect fine with my ipad. Any suggestions why this might happen?

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure about this but can you change the SSID of the wifi your phone is broadcasting. I remember seeing something about the how surface cant connect if the name has symbols or numbers or something like that. A bit of a long shot but hope this may help.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
OK - so im still getting limited connectivity for tethering - Ive tried all of the wifi registry tweaks, etc, but am not having any luck. My phone broadcasts just fine - my ipad connects, my old android phone will connect, my wifes android phone, even my xp laptop will connect...but for some reason my surface RT says limited connectivity - Ive tried WPA, WPA2, etc. no luck. Makes no sense, and is really crippling me in my efforts to take this thing places with no wifi. At this point, if I know im going someplace without wifi, and will need a bigger screen than my phone, I am forced to take my ipad (sigh). Anyone else having this issue?

have you tried forgetting the device? (hold over the device in the WiFi settings and I believe it will let you disconnect then try and reconnecting.

another thing I had to try when it wouldn't connect to my iPhone is connect just through Bluetooth (which to me was just as fast a connection) this way is annoying to connect to cause I had to forget the device and reconnect every time but at least it should connect. You have to connect to your phones Bluetooth in surface then go into devices in desktop mode and click on your phone and there will be an option to connect using hotspot..... hope that helps :s

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure about this but can you change the SSID of the wifi your phone is broadcasting. I remember seeing something about the how surface cant connect if the name has symbols or numbers or something like that. A bit of a long shot but hope this may help.

The name is just AndroidApp - no numbers, spaces, etc. I tried forgetting, changing the password, changing the name, all no dice.

I will try the Bluetooth thing, hopefully that works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The name is just AndroidApp - no numbers, spaces, etc. I tried forgetting, changing the password, changing the name, all no dice.

I will try the Bluetooth thing, hopefully that works.

WP7/8 does not have bluetooth PAN. A major omission IMO. One of the many reasons I cannot keep a WP device as a primary phone. Before the flame wars begin, there's no reason that consumers can't have choices. Oh, I know, carriers want to limit your ability to tether, etc. My Moto ES400 has more functionality than just about any WP device out there, and it's a Windows Mobile 6.5 device!

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
WP7/8 does not have bluetooth PAN. A major omission IMO. One of the many reasons I cannot keep a WP device as a primary phone. Before the flame wars begin, there's no reason that consumers can't have choices. Oh, I know, carriers want to limit your ability to tether, etc. My Moto ES400 has more functionality than just about any WP device out there, and it's a Windows Mobile 6.5 device!

oh really? I keep up with tech pretty good but have had my iphone 4 for 2 years now so am getting out of what the features are with all the phones. I am more into tablets now anyways so don't really care what phone I have but the iphone started to get a little stale a year ago so I will be happy when I switch next year. That kind of sucks that it doesn't have Bluetooth mode. Do android devices have this feature like iphone?

I guess one of the updates must have worked for me cause at the start I wasn't able to see the iphone then last week I tried and it recognized it so maybe with the newest update it will fix something. Here's hoping cause I know how frustrating it is.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So - I installed all the updates last night - which were supposed to correct the limited connection in WIFI, and still no dice. I am starting to get frustrated with this thing, and might send it back to MS for a replacement. Does anyone know if replacement units MS sends are re-furbished?

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I would get a limited connection while tethering to my L920 (at&t). The current firmware update seems to have fixed my problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99