Surface Frozen/Bricked need help?

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was using my surface last night and hadn't charged it in couple days so it eventually died, I within minutes plugged it in and turned it back on expecting to continue to web surf. It doesn't work properly now, it isn't quite frozen, but isn't quite bricked either. The surfcae turns on and lets me log on using my password and the start screen comes up, but then nothing seems to work, I touch to no evail. I see the grey dot where I touch acknoledging the screen is reading the contact. If I hit the home button it will eventually make the screen go navy blue with a start menu bar from the desktop mode come up (very strange) and then back to the regular start at which point it is either still frozen again or lets me do one action before freezing (but it doesn't complete the action, i.e. hit charms bar and then settings doesn't actually bring up settings).

Is there a way to reset the surface to fix this (i.e. hold volume buttons to hard/soft reset)? Or should I take it to the microsfot store, I have the full warranty on the thing so it's all covered.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was using my surface last night and hadn't charged it in couple days so it eventually died, I within minutes plugged it in and turned it back on expecting to continue to web surf. It doesn't work properly now, it isn't quite frozen, but isn't quite bricked either. The surfcae turns on and lets me log on using my password and the start screen comes up, but then nothing seems to work, I touch to no evail. I see the grey dot where I touch acknoledging the screen is reading the contact. If I hit the home button it will eventually make the screen go navy blue with a start menu bar from the desktop mode come up (very strange) and then back to the regular start at which point it is either still frozen again or lets me do one action before freezing (but it doesn't complete the action, i.e. hit charms bar and then settings doesn't actually bring up settings).

Is there a way to reset the surface to fix this (i.e. hold volume buttons to hard/soft reset)? Or should I take it to the microsfot store, I have the full warranty on the thing so it's all covered.

Sorry I want to help but have no experience with this issue.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Try these steps from Microsoft support and XDA:

Windows RT | Crash | Stops responding

xda-developers - View Single Post - well, I killed my surface RT...now how can I restore it...

edit: It's probably a bit late now, but the first thing everyone should do with this device is make a USB recovery stick:

Desktop > Control Panel > System and Security > File History.

Tap "Recovery" at the bottom of the left pane, and you'll find an option to "Create a Recovery Drive."

Then with the recovery drive plugged in turn the surface on by pressing volume down + power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte