Returning My Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to return my Surface RT after almost a month and a half of use. I debated it in mid-November, but now I am really pulling the trigger on it. It just seems laggy at times and buggy to me when compared to my iPad 2. The hardware is great, but I still prefer to use my iPad for browsing the internet and reading emails. I really dislike Internet Explorer 10 for the surface. The most annoying IE10 feature is that doesn't automatically zoom to the text like the iPad does.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So I decided to return my Surface RT after almost a month and a half of use. I debated it in mid-November, but now I am really pulling the trigger on it. It just seems laggy at times and buggy to me when compared to my iPad 2. The hardware is great, but I still prefer to use my iPad for browsing the internet and reading emails. I really dislike Internet Explorer 10 for the surface. The most annoying IE10 feature is that doesn't automatically zoom to the text like the iPad does.

Just out of curiosity, and no offense to you, but it looks like you just joined this month to tell everyone the iPad is better. Why? Why didn't you join last month, and come here and participate in this forum. Maybe some could have helped with the issues you were having, much like @inteller just did notifying you of the update.

So please don't take my post the wrong way, but I just don't understand what you gain by joining 6 weeks after you purchased the product, and then coming here to troll. On the flip side, maybe you really like the Surface RT and are just looking for a reason to keep it. in that case, welcome!

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall my ipad2 zooming in on text automatically...i rarely use it, but will to check out this feature. I recall having to manually zoom in on all web pages; maybe I just don't understand what you are talking about 😊
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I was more active on surfaceforums.com... I am not trying to troll by any means. The ipad more so fit the page better to the screen than the Surface did. The reason for this is probably because website read the ipad's client user agent and the display them differently. The surface probably shows Windows 8 as the client and just displays the web page for a regular computer. I will check out the update today. Where did you get this information on the patch...

Yes please convince me to keep the Surface. I like the technology, but fear Microsoft is going to screw us in the end.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you own an iPad and you are worried about being screwed? Haha that's a good one.

There is no "problem" with IE10, the problem is the "webkitifying" of the web with lazy web devs optimizing their pages for ithings and other webkit things, instead of including the standards based tags that IE10 readily supports. Microsoft has already warned webdevs about this and not to recreate the whole IE6 debacle all over again.

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I can pretty much do anything on the iPad 2 that an iPad 4 can except for siri. With that... I don't see Microsoft coming out with major updates yearly that are also supported on the Surface 1. I still want the Surface to dethrone Apple. I just can't find enough to do on my Surface and browsing the internet on the Surface is more cumbersome than on the iPad. I think the Microsoft App Store needs to be redeveloped. It is too difficult to find good apps. The side scrolling is great for reading news and such, but not good for browsing apps.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
MS has already publicly announced support for the Surface up til 2016? (4 years I believe).

With the updates (which will come frequently), the OS and the HW will get smoother. There has already been a few threads about how the Tegra chip is not yet optimized for Win RT.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
No offense but if you are not trolling, you certainly are hitting all of the troll highlights:

1) No previous posts;
2) Inflammatory subject line;
3) Information that lauds another product at the expense of the product for which this forum exists;
4) The inevitable Microsoft is screwing us assertion; and
5) Pointing out that you post on another website that doesn't actually exist.

BTW, it would also seem that you are completely outside of the return window for the product. Even if they initiated a return in November, the period in which a product would have had to be returned under that authorization has expired. I am sorry but an awful lot of this does not add up.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys worried that they are going to release the surface 2 earlier than planned?

I was initially, but honestly I don't see a Surface 2 until late 2013. Now you can wait til then, but if you do that, then whats going to stop you from wanting the Surface 3 which might come mid-late 2014?

Trying to keep up with the latest gadgets in the tech world is a volatile thing, there will always be newer and better each year. Just knowing that MS has publicly stated support for the Surface til 2016 is huge. And with constant updates which WILL make things smoother, faster and less "buggy" if you will is so valuable.

The app store will continue to gain traction fast, the HW will get optimized as well as the OS until they can get it near perfect..

Look at the iPad 1, its not even 3 years old and its obsolete. The whole "doesn't feel right" or "too cumbersome" thing is odd to me.

ppl get comfortable with things (ie. iPad), like old sneakers or that favorite shirt or your car.. when you try on new shoes, or a new shirt or get a new car of course it will take time to adjust to, but those new things will soon become your new favorites.

The saying is "in with the new (Surface) and out with the old (iPad)".

Last edited:

kclinden

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I am not flaming. Think what you want... I have been reading this website since the surface was announced. I wish there was a better site dedicated to the surface and windows 8 apps.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
You also can't expect much, this is Microsofts 1st attempt to make thier own HW. They have done a great job, but it is still early. Sites will build, forums will grow and the apps will come. I personally think Win RT devices will continue to sell and the app availability will catch up to Apples 250k apps... Maybe 150k since 100k of them are crap apps anyways. MS has already said they hope to hit 100k apps by end of this year, whether they deliver on that is another story.. but we can build on that optimism.

I can almost guarantee you that Apple and Google were no further along 6 weeks after their launch either.. heck they probably were behind.

Only you yourself can decide what you want, you already ruffled the feathers with members here by posting a thread that says ":angry: Returning my Surface".

Perhaps it should have read "Should I keep my Surface", then maybe you wouldn't get such a harsh response, but that's the reality of things sometimes.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So a troll is by definition somebody who dares to be critical?

You know what the problem is? It's the people that pretend that their S..urface does not smell. It's an okay product a good start. But it's nothing to write home about. You raise the expectations of people that read your high praise of a device that you judge by your biased merits, without a real context and comparison to the other devices on the market. You set their expectations way too high and that sets them up for a disappointment.

And then this happens - the people who got tricked into byuing an inferior product figure out themselves that the Surface is not really (at least not yet) a viable alternative to an iPad.

Btw. the same applies to WP8.

Be honest about the things you judge, don't be narrow minded, accept the fact that the Surface is not a perfect product. There is no shame in that. It needs a lot of work and it does not help to close your eyes from its shortcomings. Praise what's good about it but let's be hones about the things that are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb