Logitech K810 or Microsoft Surface Type Cover?

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so this is my dilemma of the week, just let me know which one you think I should get and why.

-I have a Surface RT, Lumia 920, and no Bluetooth computers (although I could pick up a cheap dongle).
-I already have a Touch Cover in Cyan for my Surface

I'm just wondering which one I should get:

Logitech K810:
Pros:
-Backlit Illuminated
-Aluminum Design
-Keys are spread apart (which I love on my k750)
-3 Bluetooth devices at once and I can easily switch between them

Cons:
-Extra item to carry around (rather than just a keyboard attached and covering my surface)
-Doesn't "click" and connect right with the surface
-Bluetooth could be a pain to setup every time

Microsoft Touch Cover:
Pros:
-Connects with the surface; covers the device
-"Felt-like" feel
-Includes a trackpad

Cons:
-Can only use with the Surface
-"crammed" keys
-Looks cheap

So what do ya guys think? Should I spring for a K810 or the Type Cover?

(I'm already getting the T650 and T620 as an incentive for being an external beta tester and I already knew about the K810 in September-I'm pretty loyal to Logitech)

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I will probably get a K810 for Christmas. As much as the touch cover works and is very usable I think I would still like a tactile keyboard, especially one that is portable and has F-KEYS !!! which would be great for coding in VS2012.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I will probably get a K810 for Christmas. As much as the touch cover works and is very usable I think I would still like a tactile keyboard, especially one that is portable and has F-KEYS !!! which would be great for coding in VS2012.

Yeah, that's what I think I'm going to get. Mostly because I already have a "clicky" keyboard for my surface. The only reason I want something else is because the touch cover does not have tactile keys.

Even though the K810 does not include a trackpad, I can always quickly add my Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse via USB.

I think I like the design more on the K810, and I love how it has backlit keys.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the 810, and my two favorite features are the light up keyboard, and the ability to easily switch between 3 Bluetooth devices with the touch of a button. I don't like that it didn't come with a case though. I also have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse that goes along great with this keyboard.

Another option I looked at, but it wasn't in stock, was the Microsoft Wedge keyboard (Microsoft Wedge Mobile Bluetooth Keyboard U7R-00001 - Best Buy)

It comes with a case that converts into a stand.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

touch cover actually has F-keys. you have to hold down Fn and press one of the key on the top row. The first key on the left corresponds to F-1 and so on.

balama

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
a stand alone keyboard requires either an additional or bigger case and more weight although the back lighting option is great.

you can't beat the portability of a surface with a type cover

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to get the K810. Mostly because it is backlit and I can use it with three devices and easily switch between them. I just would like to use it around the house and I'll take the touch cover out with me.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but TBH, I don't think I can live without tactile keys around the house.

Then why ask for opinions in the first place? It seems the only feedback you are taking is that which confirms what you intended to do from the start. FWIW, the Type Cover does not look or feel cheap, has function keys, and has tactile response. If you want the Logitech keyboard no one is going to tell you not to spend your money, but positing a question and then responding to everyone with "but I want tactile...." is pretty silly.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Then why ask for opinions in the first place? It seems the only feedback you are taking is that which confirms what you intended to do from the start. FWIW, the Type Cover does not look or feel cheap, has function keys, and has tactile response. If you want the Logitech keyboard no one is going to tell you not to spend your money, but positing a question and then responding to everyone with "but I want tactile...." is pretty silly.

I was responding to people who were telling me just to keep my touch cover, but I want either the type cover or K810. I decided to get the K810 because I decided I would rather use the touch cover in public.

Saying that I'm responding to everyone who says I shouldn't get anything is silly.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I was responding to people who were telling me just to keep my touch cover, but I want either the type cover or K810. I decided to get the K810 because I decided I would rather use the touch cover in public.

Saying that I'm responding to everyone who says I shouldn't get anything is silly.

Don't worry about it. Apparently your post didn't meet the requirements of @stephen_az. Don't waste time responding to members like him. We're not all perfect posters like he is (not that there was anything wrong with your post in the first place).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos