Will the SurfaceRT fulfill my college needs?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I like the surface but I'd never buy the first generation of something like that. I hear the performance is a little sluggish and there are certainly nowhere near the number of apps there are for the iPad, or Android...or even Windows Phone yet.

I like what I see though and when the next gen comes along with faster processors and if it has a decent enough apps library by then, I'll probably trade in my Android tablet for one.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your needs bro..

Looking back at my undergrad and grad-school years (2007-2012), I would've absolutely loved the Surface RT as my class companion.

For 3 years I used to lug around my 5 lb HP laptop to lectures and tutorials for note-taking, and for study-sessions (reading, procrastinating, etc). The Surface RT would have easily been much more convenient for all of those tasks and a bit more, e.g. during PowerPoint presentations, showing work to profs, etc.

In my 4th year I started carrying a Samsung netbook for note-taking instead, and to be honest that's all it was good for - inputting notes. I had to revert to my HP or a larger screen in order to comfortably read and do meaningful work on. Again, a Surface RT would've been awesome for all that.

For grad school the Surface RT would have absolutely been indispensable, I would not be able to live without I think. Looking back I did a lot of work on Excel, a lot of PowerPoint, and in a lot of cases had to show work to my professors for feedback and the like. And during presentations? It would've been sweet.

That said, while the Surface RT would have been a great companion or supplement to my laptop, it would not replace it. I still used legacy software such as Stata, and that required me to pull my laptop to my profs for help, feedback, etc. Also, for my undergrad, I would've had to use my Surface RT on an unsecure WiFi network (school required plugins and stuff for secure access)... But for grad school, WPA2 all the way baby.

Last edited:

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
^ I'm guessing you majored in economics?

I still haven't figured out an efficient and fast way to get math and diagrams inputted into a laptop or tablet quickly, easily and efficiently.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, you only get Windows 8 with the 500t, not Windows 8 Pro. You probably won't have a need for Pro anyways so no biggy.

Yeah, looking at wiki the things that pro does that win8 does not are foreign to me except boot from VHD.

Availability[SUP][14][/SUP]Pre-installed on devices[SUP][8][/SUP]Most channelsMost channelsVolume License customers
ArchitectureARM (32-bit)IA-32 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)IA-32 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)IA-32 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)
Maximum physical memory (RAM)[SUP][15][/SUP]?4 GB on IA-32
128 GB on x64
4 GB on IA-32
512 GB on x64
4 GB on IA-32
512 GB on x64
Trusted bootYesYesYesYes
Picture passwordYesYesYesYes
Start screen, Semantic Zoom, Live TilesYesYesYesYes
Touch and Thumb keyboardYesYesYesYes
Language packsYesYesYesYes
Updated File ExplorerYesYesYesYes
Standard apps[SUP][a][/SUP]YesYesYesYes
File HistoryYesYesYesYes
Refresh and reset of OSYesYesYesYes
Play ToYesYesYesYes
Connected standbyYesYesYesYes
Windows UpdateYesYesYesYes
Windows DefenderYesYesYesYes
Better multi-monitor supportYesYesYesYes
New Windows Task ManagerYesYesYesYes
ISO image and VHD mountingYesYesYesYes
Mobile broadband featuresYesYesYesYes
Microsoft account integrationYesYesYesYes
Internet Explorer 10YesYesYesYes
SmartScreenYesYesYesYes
Windows StoreYesYesYesYes
Xbox Live app (including Xbox Live Arcade)[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP]YesYesYesYes
Exchange ActiveSyncYesYesYesYes
SnapYesYesYesYes
Can connect to a VPN?YesYesYesYes
DesktopPartialYesYesYes
Supported third-party apps[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]Windows Store apps onlyWindows Store and desktopWindows Store and desktopWindows Store and desktop
Remote DesktopClient onlyClient onlyClient and hostClient and host
Storage SpacesNoYesYesYes
Windows Media PlayerNoYesYesYes
Encryption featuresDevice encryption[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#cite_note-21[/SUP]

[TD="class: table-no, bgcolor: #FF9090, align: center"]Unavailable[/TD]
[TD="class: table-yes, bgcolor: #90FF90, align: center"]BitLocker and EFS[/TD]
[TD="class: table-yes, bgcolor: #90FF90, align: center"]BitLocker and EFS[/TD]

[TR]
[TD]Sideload Windows Store apps[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][20][/SUP][/TD]
[TD="class: partial table-partial, bgcolor: #FFFFBB, align: center"]Partial[SUP][c][/SUP][/TD]
[TD="class: table-no, bgcolor: #FF9090, align: center"]No[/TD]
[TD="class: partial table-partial, bgcolor: #FFFFBB, align: center"]Partial[SUP][c][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Boot from VHD[/TD]
[TD="class: table-yes, bgcolor: #90FF90, align: center"]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Can join a Windows domain?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Group Policy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Hyper-V[SUP][21][/SUP][/TD]
[TD="class: table-yes2, bgcolor: #BBFFDD, colspan: 2, align: center"]On 64-bit versions only with SLAT capable CPU[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]AppLocker[SUP][d][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows To Go[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]DirectAccess[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BranchCache[SUP][e][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Can be virtualized by RemoteFX?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Services for Network File System[SUP][24][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Microsoft Office apps bundled with OS[SUP][f][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Windows Media Center[/TD]
[TD="class: partial table-partial, bgcolor: #FFFFBB, align: center"]Via an add-in[SUP][25][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Feature[/TH]
[TH="width: 8%, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Windows RT[/TH]
[TH="width: 8%, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Windows 8[/TH]
[TH="width: 8%, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Windows 8 Pro[/TH]
[TH="width: 8%, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center"]Windows 8 Enterprise[/TH]
[/TR]

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm an English major, so obviously I do a lot of writing, and my Surface has been nothing short of amazing! I wouldn't trade it for anything (other than a Surface Pro, of course).

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
i love my surface tablet... and it hasn't been out long and already has had 2 major firmware updates. as well as many of the apps being updated. With skydrive it makes it really easy to work on school work too since you can save right to skydrive from the surface in class and open it on the go with a window (i think even ios has a skydrive app) and on a windows desktop. I use the touchcover and not the typecover because i wanted the thinner and the blue cover for looks, but i don't regret it at all. After a bit I was very proficient with typing.

the tablet lasts a long time. I use mine everyday for a little while but i charge it every couple days with no problem (i don't use it constantly).. i did a weekend marathon of BSG from netflix on my laptop and got about 7 episodes in before having to charge it, while doing multitasking while watching.

As someone mentioned above, you can also record the lecture at the same time you're taking notes so you can review your notes along with the professor's lecture video (which you can also save to skydrive pretty easily or put on a microSD card).

as for apps and speed.. I have 0 speed issues with my tablet and i think it's more fluid than the ipad 3 my parents have. That being said it doesn't have all the "apps" but they will come. I am waiting for my parents to get me the win 8 upgrade so i can start some app development myself (they couldn't think of anything else to give me and i had to tell them something....)

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there some app for LaTeX typesetting?

OP: you could just buy a MacBook air and get 7 hours of battery from it. Its also quite thin and light too. Of course its a lot more expensive though.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Word vs OneNote? Which one do you guys use?

I dont want a MackBook Air, alot of people have them at my college, but theyre too big. I want something that is small and light tocarry and also is enables me to do work on, thts where the Surface comes in :)

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
i love my surface tablet... and it hasn't been out long and already has had 2 major firmware updates. as well as many of the apps being updated. With skydrive it makes it really easy to work on school work too since you can save right to skydrive from the surface in class and open it on the go with a window (i think even ios has a skydrive app) and on a windows desktop. I use the touchcover and not the typecover because i wanted the thinner and the blue cover for looks, but i don't regret it at all. After a bit I was very proficient with typing.

the tablet lasts a long time. I use mine everyday for a little while but i charge it every couple days with no problem (i don't use it constantly).. i did a weekend marathon of BSG from netflix on my laptop and got about 7 episodes in before having to charge it, while doing multitasking while watching.

As someone mentioned above, you can also record the lecture at the same time you're taking notes so you can review your notes along with the professor's lecture video (which you can also save to skydrive pretty easily or put on a microSD card).

as for apps and speed.. I have 0 speed issues with my tablet and i think it's more fluid than the ipad 3 my parents have. That being said it doesn't have all the "apps" but they will come. I am waiting for my parents to get me the win 8 upgrade so i can start some app development myself (they couldn't think of anything else to give me and i had to tell them something....)

The battery is one of the best features of the Surface. And yea i agree, the store will be full of more and more apps very soon, people forget that when apple or android started, they had very few apps too. It jus takes time.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
During the semester I do non stop typing for about three hours a day with the type cover(normally one 1hr15m course and another 1hr50m course), it works wonders in onenote. Don't worry about the noise it makes, laptops are louder.

I had to write a 10 page research paper yesterday, and i don have Microsoft Office on my laptop. So i had to go to the public library, they were closed, then i went to school and typed it there.
I think the Surface would've been a great help in a situation like this

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I dont want a MackBook Air, alot of people have them at my college, but theyre too big. I want something that is small and light tocarry and also is enables me to do work on, thts where the Surface comes in :)

Even the 11" ones are too big? I think they're about the same size.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I went to staples yesterday and I was astounded and sad at the same time..

1. I walked around for a good five minutes before I found the very small surface setup.. I mean the nook and kindle had more advertising.. But the lady said they just got it and very small supply.

2. As an aspiring author and soon to be adjunct professor as a grad student.. I was amazed.. I role-played scenarios where my students or coworkers would need something(device is beautiful).. I opened email, PowerPoint for lectures.. Skype in dire need or for a conference.. Etc..

Nothing short of impressed. I will be picking it up for Christmas as a gift to tearing my Achilles.. I wonder if there is a eBook app or do I use the web.. I would hate to lug around my huge philosophy books.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I I wonder if there is a eBook app or do I use the web.. I would hate to lug around my huge philosophy books.
Kindle work for you? It's a FANTASTIC kindle reader.

Here, let me show you a couple screenshots: portrait, landscape, some options, and snapped to the side with one note open for notes (you could make one note smaller, and the book bigger of course...)

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    148.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    125.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    71.5 KB · Views: 9

zzdarkwingduck

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the kindle app is on there, I got a paperwhite to read books on, don't care to read on tablets, but the kindle app is boss. Amazon made a great decesion in offering the app on every platorm around.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the kindle app is on there, I got a paperwhite to read books on, don't care to read on tablets, but the kindle app is boss. Amazon made a great decesion in offering the app on every platorm around.

I have a kindle device too. It's really handy to have the same library on the surface if I don't feel like (or happen to have) the reader with me. And my kindle device isn't backlit, which kinda fails in the dark :)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
MBA _______Surface
11.8"w _____10.8"w
7.56"d _____6.77"d
.68"thick ___.37"thick
2.3lbs _____1.5lbs

Quite a bit smaller and lighter than an Air.

raven183

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Windows RT surface with flash on board. But when I go to the desire2learn 4cd edu it doesn't let me watch the video's or interact with the system it just says to download Adobe Flash.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Windows RT surface with flash on board. But when I go to the desire2learn 4cd edu it doesn't let me watch the video's or interact with the system it just says to download Adobe Flash.

its not a whitelisted site then. you have to go through and manually add that site to the whitelist. I do the same with webassign.net

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb