Will the SurfaceRT fulfill my college needs?

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I attend college and would like to know from Surface owners if it will help me out? I know it has Office in it, but is it easy to use on a tablet?

PS-i think windows surface may be the best tablet out in the market currently.

reepS

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I use it for grad school. It has completely replaced my laptop in every way except it cannot run examsoft or softtest for my finals. So for finals I had to use my laptop.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
well its undoubtedly better than any iPad in terms of production and entertainment. I'm heavily thinking on purchasing it, but i dont think i'll return it =)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It might be better to go with the Surface Pro in case you want to use software like Matlab, STATA or something. Or a desktop/heavy laptop at home and Surface RT for regular use.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't need Matlab or Stata or anything similar, i'm a freshmen at college, so just basic needs, which i think the surface will provide sufficiently.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't need Matlab or Stata or anything similar, i'm a freshmen at college, so just basic needs, which i think the surface will provide sufficiently.
Yeah, but you should check out the keyboard first. You could get an extra full sized wireless keyboard that you're comfortable with if you dont the like the touch or type cover keyboards. But I agree in 1st year you usually dont need anything more than a basic computer. For writing papers and stuff the Office provided would be terrific.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but you should check out the keyboard first. You could get an extra full sized wireless keyboard that you're comfortable with if you dont the like the touch or type cover keyboards. But I agree in 1st year you usually dont need anything more than a basic computer. For writing papers and stuff the Office provided would be terrific.
There's a Dell PC sitting around my house which has a normal keyboard, nobody ever uses it anymore. And the surface has USB connection, so i can use that when i have to write a lot.

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
There are too many ppl already entrenched in Apple's ecosystem to the Surface to make much of a dent. Do we wish it would, hells ya. But would it be more appealing to offer new customers buying the Surface to give them a $100 credit to use towards apps/music? I think so. It would make switching a lot easier as ppl wouldn't have the excuse of saying they've already heavily invested into apple's apps etc.

I say buy one, you won't regret it. The apps will grow and the HW will get more optimzed as time passes. I love mine.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a grad student and a Sessional Lecturer (Canadian equivalent of Adjunct Professor), and the Surface has completely replaced my laptop. My one piece of advice would be to go for the type cover. When typing fairly lengthy documents it makes a huge difference.

To help with any worries, I've tested the Surface with a variety of content delivery services (Desire2Learn, Courselink, WebCT) and it works fine. You might run into an issue if your campus requires using a client to connect to its wireless network (like the craptacular Cisco Clean Access Agent, as mine does). Obviously you won't be able to install this on your Surface. This shouldn't be a problem though, because most campuses have an unsecured option as well.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about how the Surface works in an academic setting. I tested it extensively when I first got it to make sure that it suited my needs.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You will be the coolest guy on your dorm floor. I guarantee you will have more friends than the ipad guy. Especially if you have an xbox and use the smartglass features.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you need it for. For me, I need some softwares for data analysis, which cannot be done on Surface RT. But for more daily works, such as taking notes, working on Word documents or so, it's very good. I also use the back camera to take lecture notes. BTW it's great to use it for PowerPoint presentation, if you pay $39 for the adapter.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
There are too many ppl already entrenched in Apple's ecosystem to the Surface to make much of a dent. Do we wish it would, hells ya. But would it be more appealing to offer new customers buying the Surface to give them a $100 credit to use towards apps/music? I think so. It would make switching a lot easier as ppl wouldn't have the excuse of saying they've already heavily invested into apple's apps etc.

I say buy one, you won't regret it. The apps will grow and the HW will get more optimzed as time passes. I love mine.
I agree, a $100 gift card towards MS Store or something like that will definitely encourage more sales and perhaps change people's minds.

MSNY

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from Best Buy and tried the Surface, i tried the UI, which i liked alot, and also the desktop mode. Typing with the touchcover on MS Word was quite easy =)
I'm definitely going to buy the Surface before my next semester starts!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte