Surface RT price drop possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
only wishful thinking on the part of these hack sites. Based on the way BB and Staples has been treating these devices in stores, Microsoft isn't ceding much margin to them which means they will keep the price at the appropriate levels they are now.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they will. They've ended up around 600k sales as opposed to the 2 million forecast though. They'll have to cave in sooner or later because everyone except Apple is undercutting them and they're not taking off as hoped. I bet around March 2013 you'll see an across the board $100 drop on all RT variants. Cool for me because that's when my phone upgrade is, so I can snatch an RT and phone the same month ;)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I see you get your sales numbers from hack sites too. Microsoft has not released any sales numbers so anything else is FUD and speculation.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
A google search of Surface RT price drop will reveal a host of tech review websites referring to an article on Dealnews that a price reduction for the Surface RT is in the near future. Bad news for MS but good news for consumers if this happens.

Dealnews forecasted a 38% price drop based on Playbook's price drop. And then pc-tablet.com re-reported that forecast with a very misleading tittle "Microsoft to discount Surface RT prices by 38% in Two Months due to Slow sales
Read more at Microsoft to discount Surface RT prices by 38% in Two Months due to Slow sales". The title reads like this is going to happen with 100% chance and with exactly 38%. really sensational journalism at its best.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they will. They've ended up around 600k sales as opposed to the 2 million forecast though. They'll have to cave in sooner or later because everyone except Apple is undercutting them and they're not taking off as hoped. I bet around March 2013 you'll see an across the board $100 drop on all RT variants. Cool for me because that's when my phone upgrade is, so I can snatch an RT and phone the same month ;)

Actually they've sold just over 5 million Surface devices. See I can make up numbers too!

EDIT.

Also, how is Apple undercutting them? Apple undercutting a competitor on price is laughable.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The dealnews "article," if you want to call it that, starts with an unfounded speculation about how many units have been sold, proposes a crisis that no one has said exists, and estimates a discount based upon no information. It is also a week old and was not even updated to reflect the fact that Best Buy and Staples now sell them. This doesn't even touch the fact that the author, if you want to call him that, makes claims about the public reception of the product and the advertising campaign with no supporting data - classic presentation of personal opinion as if it is fact. Anyone who bases their opinion on where prices are going for any product off that site is bound to be disappointed. You are talking about a site that wants to be able to link you to discounts on the tablet so that they get web hits so they get advertising dollars - none of that works for them if Microsoft controls the price and the supply. BTW, if you search iPad price drop or Nikon price drop or Canon price drop, etc., etc., you will get lots of hits too that are based upon just about as much in the way of facts. Oh, I am also confused as to how a tablet that isn't selling manages to fetch a premium price on both ebay and Amazon for sellers doing unauthorized reselling.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually they've sold just over 5 million Surface devices. See I can make up numbers too!

EDIT.

Also, how is Apple undercutting them? Apple undercutting a competitor on price is laughable.

The Apple line would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing. Supposedly Apple has cut the prices on its "latest iPads." Last I checked, they cut the prices on existing inventory of other models when they released the new model at anything but a price reduction. Click on the link on the hotlink for the Apple price reductions and take a look at the garbage that is pulled up. The fact is that neither Microsoft nor Apple have ever been big on price reductions on their hardware (other than mice and keyboards).

zzdarkwingduck

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I highly doubt there will be one. Maybe $50 in a few more months if sales really suck. I see the surface is priced good, not great, but good. The touch and type covers are a lot more than I think they should be though.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll see in a few months. I can't see the RT maintaining this asking price though when you can buy Nexus tablets with a much bigger app selection for multitasking have less.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll see in a few months. I can't see the RT maintaining this asking price though when you can buy Nexus tablets with a much bigger app selection for multitasking have less.
Except the nexus is still crap android. I used my surface all day today in my all microsoft work environment seamlessly accessing and updating office docs and one notes on sharepoint intranet sites, office365 sites, and skydrive sites. Android? iOS? Yeah, I thought so.

This thing is the awesome.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Hey you know what, maybe Microsoft will make a Surface CE (cheapass edition). It will be $199 and come with windows 95 and vga resolution so all the bum grifters out there can buy one and finally say they own a Surface. Maybe they will even sell them at WalMart so their target audience will be able to try one out in person.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

...and it officially transitions to a troll post. You have been spewing negativity and unfounded BS about Windows RT since its release (perhaps even before). Do you think you might give it a rest at some point? If you want Google's little plastic toy of a tablet that runs phone apps or its equally crappy big brother feel free to buy one. No one is stopping you....

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey you know what, maybe Microsoft will make a Surface CE (cheapass edition). It will be $199 and come with windows 95 and vga resolution so all the bum grifters out there can buy one and finally say they own a Surface. Maybe they will even sell them at WalMart so their target audience will be able to try one out in person.

You work for MS? You seem to get really worked up and offended over any little bit against them, lol.

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't actually sat down and used a surface you're missing out. Its pretty cool. I bought my wife one for Xmas..she got it early..long story.. Anyway we have Xbox music and her MS account all set up and the thing really works well. I was able to stream HD movies off my server and HTPC last night over WiFi and the picture quality was great. She is taking a trip cross country soon so I encoded a few flix for her to take with her and transferred them to the tablet for her plane ride. For as small as it is and the amount of productivity you can get out of it it really is quite amazing. From email to the office apps, SkyDrive, music, video, games etc.. I'm pretty pleased so far. I'll eventually get one for myself.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

EDIT.

Re-read his post. Everyone BUT apple is undercutting
surface. This is true.

Of course it will get a price drop. ALL technology gets a price drop as it ages. However, Surface already has a low resolution screen. 7" Nexus has a nigher resolution than surface. So that would not drop the price much. Making it plastic would make it much cheaper of course. Would suck as much as the cheap androids then though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb