The I got a Surface RT Thread

Pace Racing

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I won a 32 gb surface Rt with the black touch cover last week in Vegas. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it's really grown on me. It syncs beautifully with my two win 8 pc's, and the team viewer app works better than logmein on my android tablet. As an overall experience, having the ability to easily insert and view an sd card without mounting and restarts is awesome, and having a usb port is amazing. Once we get a torrent program running this thing will be great. I've been an android guy for a while, but I haven't picked up my xoom since getting the surface. The touch cover and kickstand make this the best tablet hardware available.

My biggest gripes so far are the camera, which pretty much sucks, the lack of mobile data, and not being able to use a pop 3 email account. I also really wish I could use chrome as a browser, and wish it had a gps, as Google maps is ultra useful on a tablet. Lastly, I've gotten so used to talking to my android devices instead of typing, I really wish I could do the same with the surface. At least the Google search app is capable of voice

cacan32

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hii all,
after waiting for so long... i will get my surface by today.
unfortunately Microsoft doesn't sell surface on my country, so i bought it through my friends...
Can't wait...

bearsoxfan

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Got my surface last week. I love it! I haven't put it down since! Ita a 32gb model with touch cover. I don't use the camera (that's what my 920 is for) All my pics sync thru SkyDrive to the surface anyway.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month now. I got the type cover for it. I have to say it was a pretty frustrating experience getting it all setup, it's not nearly as intuitive as Android, iOS, or even Windows 7. It's no wonder there is resistance to Windows 8. RT is more powerful than iOS and Android, but if this wasn't the future of Windows that I need to learn for my job at some point anyway, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it. The very basic stuff you play around with in the store works great. It's when you dive in deeper to the more advanced features that it can get frustrating.

However once all setup it does run well. I don't like Live Tiles as well as Widgits because they are pretty limited in their usefulness, but it is still better than iOS. The hardware is generally excellent. The kickstand and keyboard totally transform how this thing gets used. As we all know the speakers need to be louder. The case is a fingerprint magnet, but that's not an issue unique to the Surface. It feels heavier than it is, likely because of of the straight edges. Resolution could be better but it is acceptable. Apps are an issue but having owned a Blackberry a couple years back, I think it's ok and getting better every week. It has what I need. Profiles are great for the family, although they don't share things the way you would expect. Biggest irritation is that touches aren't as responsive as they should be. And by that I don't mean that touches are missed, just that the system doesn't always respond. I can see the touch and the change in the tile or button that shows I pressed it, but it takes a bit of a longer touch for it to actually do anything than what I'm used to.

All in all after some time with it I'm really liking it overall. It has replaced my laptop. Not a complete PC replacement, but for personal mobile use it does all I need and then some. With VPN and AD support this thing could also replace my work laptop. But it can't yet. I was seriously considering a Lenovo Yoga 13 or a Surface Pro. Instead I went with an RT and a home server setup that gives me a much better mobile device and a better home device than either of those for about the same cost. I also considered a Transformer Infinity, which is easily the better performing tablet with a better ecosystem, but the quality and practicality of the RT along with the power and support of Windows RT won out.

I'm still not convinced Microsoft really gets it though. To succeed in the long term they need to be more flexible and more open. That's what built them into what they are today.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I just got the surface RT today (a little birthday present to myself) and I gotta say, I'm SUPER impressed! I'm already getting very used to the touch cover, and It's a lot better than I thought it'd be. Just gotta figure out what's going on with my gmail account and why it's not working. And how to set it so that it doesn't sync my facebook birthday calendar (so much easier on wp8). But ya, I LOVE it! Office is so seamless!

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday afternoon (right before our game night with some friends). Went through the "add a row" registry tweak, and like it more with the extra row added. I only got this for web browsing, reading in bed, and writing up word docs to eventually post the contents to a blog. So I imagine my laptop will get plenty of work out of me considering that's my real "on the go" work machine (mainly lots of coding). Still can't put this tablet down.

wpward291

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine the 32Gb bundle since that is all they have I love it couldn't hold off any more. Only thing I don't like so far is the low speakers.,

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine the 32Gb bundle since that is all they have I love it couldn't hold off any more. Only thing I don't like so far is the low speakers.,
Go to desktop click on the volume in the lower right corner then click on the top of the volume thing that pops up. Its an icon thingy. Then you can enhance the volume. My Rt has great sound now. Also should look into getting a microsd card for apps.

Plystre

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Got my RT a couple of weeks ago, and today I returned it. Just didnt have any use for it. :( It has about "50" apps i the store...:( and the tegra 3 chip is to slow. So I'll wait a year and see how things have turned out.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my RT a couple of weeks ago, and today I returned it. Just didnt have any use for it. :( It has about "50" apps i the store...:( and the tegra 3 chip is to slow. So I'll wait a year and see how things have turned out.
lmao seriously? If I type the letter a in the search over 20k apps show up. And I'm sorry but my surface is really fast and I have about 50 apps installed. Usually running 5 at a time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm walking around Best Buy pricing various things and I just couldn't do it. I couldn't wait any longer! I took the plunge and grabbed me an RT! I'm typing on it right now using my 4 year old Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. A tablet, with Office, with wireless mouse/keyboard support, with wireless printing. Oh it's business time.

wpward291

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Go to desktop click on the volume in the lower right corner then click on the top of the volume thing that pops up. Its an icon thingy. Then you can enhance the volume. My Rt has great sound now. Also should look into getting a microsd card for apps.

Great thanks for the info which enhancement

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought long and hard about how I'd most likely be using the tablet and opted for this 32gb Surface yesterday. The storage is not a problem for me as my pics and music are on the desktop hard drive and I'm using more of the cloud as of late (i.e. Skydrive) Web browsing, emails and Netflix (movies look great!) are mostly what I use it for and this is one beautiful package. I really like the battery life on this thing as opposed to the Pro. I chose not to get the touchpad...just didn't like the look and feel of it. Typing this with a wireless HP keyboard. Haven't had my Surface for 24 hours yet but I must say I am one very satisfied customer so far! MSFT for the win!

FreedMania

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting on the Surface Pro but I wasn't impressed with the battery life or the price. So I decided to finally get a Surface RT but to save some money I ended up getting mine off craigslist. The guy only had it for a month and it was mint condition. Just cost me $500, I got the 32gb Surface with touch pad and a 2 year warranty so I don't have to worry if anything happens. I'm loving it so far and it serves just about every use I could want. If I really end up needing a laptop though I'll probably pick up an Asus vivobook, that 11.6'' model with touch screen is pretty nice.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Got the Pro and was really disappointed with the battery and the heat.

Took it back and got a RT. Really happy with it, I have a beefy desktop so the RT will fit most of my needs.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss