The I got a Surface RT Thread

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Got my Surface RT 32GB on Black Friday from Best Buy. Love this machine! Was waiting to get the black type cover, but once I saw the purple type cover 2, went ahead and paid for it. I can't believe how great and powerful this device is! Why did I ever even listen to any of the reviews on these so-called tech sites, trying to downplay this device. Always complained about the lack of apps, but forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the entire purpose of apps was due to certain devices could not use every website, due to certain plug-ins. Since I can access every website, why on earth would I want to use an app instead? So the notion of not enough apps is really invalid in my book, I rather the actual website any day. I'm able to get my work done with Office being on here. Haven't turned on my laptop since I've got this great device. Now I will admit, I keep my desktop on 24/7, so I do access it via Remote Desktop, whenever I need to do the heavy workload on this device. I think I will just end up getting the Surface 2, now I've been using the first one and love it.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
2qlabg7.jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Got my Surface RT 32GB on Black Friday from Best Buy. Love this machine! Was waiting to get the black type cover, but once I saw the purple type cover 2, went ahead and paid for it. I can't believe how great and powerful this device is! Why did I ever even listen to any of the reviews on these so-called tech sites, trying to downplay this device. Always complained about the lack of apps, but forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the entire purpose of apps was due to certain devices could not use every website, due to certain plug-ins. Since I can access every website, why on earth would I want to use an app instead? So the notion of not enough apps is really invalid in my book, I rather the actual website any day. I'm able to get my work done with Office being on here. Haven't turned on my laptop since I've got this great device. Now I will admit, I keep my desktop on 24/7, so I do access it via Remote Desktop, whenever I need to do the heavy workload on this device. I think I will just end up getting the Surface 2, now I've been using the first one and love it.

Couldn't agree more!
Haven't had enough time with the Surface yet especially after waiting for minutes and minutes of updating :cool:
We'll be on the fast track here in the next coupla days tho...

Gratzo to us happy Surface people.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad people still buy this even though the 2 has come out, the RT is still a REALLY great tablet! :smile:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad people still buy this even though the 2 has come out, the RT is still a REALLY great tablet! :smile:

Mee2

The 3 year old Win7 notebook I have is running way slower than my S1.
I'm pretty sure it's loaded down with malware though.

Took me about a week to get comfy with the Surface trying to figure out the best way to use it.
It's so nice because I feel like I don't have to have it plugged in constantly.
Very impressed with battery time!

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a 64GB RT from Walmart during there black Friday weekend deal. Overall I love the experience, I actually use the Surface RT more than my MacBook Pro for almost everything. Some areas of the experience seem sluggish but not overall distracting from the big picture. The IE app in the Metro view is brutally slow so I find myself in the desktop environment more often for browsing and e-mail through Outlook. For the price this tablet can't be beat but MS can improve on the Metro experience. Overall I'm happy to be back in the MS eco system, in fact so much. I switched from a 5s to s 925. Enjoy your Surface RTs.

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had my RT since August and I still love it. it's miles better than the samsung galaxy 7 that I had. that thing was a pile.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm now thinking about getting the Surface RT 2, due to how great the Surface RT is! And now that the rumors of the new LTE version passing FCC, I may now wait for this instead.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm still primarly a university student with no steady income, so I will likely wait a couple of years or until my first gen RT falls apart until I upgrade into the next Surface. I hope they are still around by that time, if not, I'll get a Surface 2 from somewhere :p I really love the Surface and everything it stands for and I wouldn't consider a non-Surface product to replace my Surface RT.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm now thinking about getting the Surface RT 2, due to how great the Surface RT is! And now that the rumors of the new LTE version passing FCC, I may now wait for this instead.

That's what I'm waiting for too. Until then my Gen 1 will do me fine.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm still primarly a university student with no steady income, so I will likely wait a couple of years or until my first gen RT falls apart until I upgrade into the next Surface. I hope they are still around by that time, if not, I'll get a Surface 2 from somewhere :p I really love the Surface and everything it stands for and I wouldn't consider a non-Surface product to replace my Surface RT.
I'm enjoying my Surface RT. If the Surface 3 is what I believe it will be, I will consider upgrading at that point and handing the RT down to someone lower on the hardware food chain. :grin:

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
So I bought one, 64gb surface rt, 280$, with one year warranty(ms). It seems nice, haven't had a chance to use it, its been updating..for hours, is it normally slow with installing updates?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I bought one, 64gb surface rt, 280$, with one year warranty(ms). It seems nice, haven't had a chance to use it, its been updating..for hours, is it normally slow with installing updates?

Gratzo!

Yoop,
The updates do take some time.
Go out for a run or watch TV for a while.
:winktongue:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my Surface RT just over a week ago and I love it. So much so that I sold my Nokia 2520 last night and I'm going to get a Surface 2 next week. Even though the Nokia was faster and had a much better screen than the RT I found the Surface to be a much nicer machine to use with the kick stand and the touchpad. I also found the RT to be nicer to hold, I like the way it is so solid and the way it is cold to the touch when I pick it up.

The Nokia was great as well but the screen and the back did pick up a lot of marks and I found that I was cleaning it all the time. I did sort this problem a fair bit by using the polish and sealant that I use on my car. I just used the sealant on my screen.

The battery live is better on the Nokia but I get somewhere between 10 and 12 hours out of the RT so not a problem for me to get a couple of days.

After doing a couple of mode that I found on the Surface 2 tips thread it mad the RT about 3 times quicker and almost as quick as the Nokia until I did the same mode to it which made it even faster again. I am going to keep the RT as a backup to the Surface 2

As you will have guessed by now I love the Surface RT and so do others, I was in a bar yesterday and I was on my RT with a Cyan touchpad and I had my Nokia 925 beside me and the looks I was getting. Several people asked me about both the phone and especially the RT and touchpad.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Surface RT about 4 days ago and I love it. I bought a 64GB for $330. I looked at the Surface RT 2, but I did not see the value of an extra $200. I never play mobile games, so a newer Tegra chip does nothing for me. I use this almost exclusively for homework and taking notes for personal reading. I love how there is not any intrusive notifications in the OS. Android mobile devices are so annoying when I try to get actual work done. The Surface is very high in quality. I bought the Wedge Mouse and Type 2 Keyboard. The backlighting on the keyboard is very nice. I almost bought a Surface Pro, but I could not justify the purchase for what I needed this tablet for. I will probably buy a Surface Pro 2 once the Pro 3 comes out.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

bills pies1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I got my Surface RT at the end of January, I love it, but there are a few flaws in the design that I really hope are changed with Surface 3.
The 16:9 10.6'' screen is a joke when I'm using my Surface RT on the go. In fact, most of the time I have to use the kickstand because holding it is uncomfortable.
IE11 is a great browser, but sometimes when I touch a link, nothing happens. Or when a modal dialog pops up, I have to touch the close button about 5 times before it responds.

I think that a 16:10 10.1'' screen would be more appropriate for Surface 3. Plus a 2560*1600 screen, support for 3 apps side by side, no desktop, and 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Iagree with you on some points, however, others I do not. 3 snapped apps would require a way better CPU,gpu, which would raise the price, such a change would have to be done globally, on all windows 8. Except phones..

As for the desktop, its one of the best parts about windows tablets, the desktop environment allows us to do so much more than any other tablet. Dlna,network access, organization, the list goes on.

Just my two cents.

bills pies1

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Iagree with you on some points, however, others I do not. 3 snapped apps would require a way better CPU,gpu, which would raise the price, such a change would have to be done globally, on all windows 8. Except phones..

As for the desktop, its one of the best parts about windows tablets, the desktop environment allows us to do so much more than any other tablet. Dlna,network access, organization, the list goes on.

Just my two cents.

The Desktop just shouldn't be in Windows RT. If Windows RT really was made from the ground-up with touch-first in mind, then everything should have been made into a modern ui application. Sure, it would be pretty much impossible to make a metro version of CMD, but they should have made a metro file explorer, metro help and sharing center, and a full metro control panel. This would make the desktop pretty much irrelevant. It could still stay there for experienced users I guess, but what if CMD or other desktop applications could be run as metro apps without becoming metro apps (if that makes any sense)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077