The I got a Surface RT Thread

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree, I am very confused why the desktop is present in RT. I updated my non touch screen PC to W8 basically right upon release. I never had any problems with W8 and metro. I just treated the metro side as a start menu, just being bigger snd with more functionality than the old start menu.

When I got the Surface RT a month ago I was VERY supriced that the desktop was present there. I thought the whole point of RT was that it hasnt got the desktop.

On the RT I have for the first time I feel the W8 design is a failure. Its weird, like why there is two internet explorers? The desktop just shouldnt be present in RT period.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree, I am very confused why the desktop is present in RT. I updated my non touch screen PC to W8 basically right upon release. I never had any problems with W8 and metro. I just treated the metro side as a start menu, just being bigger snd with more functionality than the old start menu.

When I got the Surface RT a month ago I was VERY supriced that the desktop was present there. I thought the whole point of RT was that it hasnt got the desktop.

On the RT I have for the first time I feel the W8 design is a failure. Its weird, like why there is two internet explorers? The desktop just shouldnt be present in RT period.
The desktop is the best part of RT, IMO. It is what sets the Surface apart from the iPad. Seriously, without the desktop, the Surface is little more than a large Windows Phone (that doesn't have as wide a selection of software as WP). If you have ever used a Surface RT/2 with a 2nd display and used Office on the desktop with Modern UI apps on the Surface screen (or visa versa) you would know why the desktop is a vital part of the Surface experience.

The Surface is a serious productivity device in addition to a casual consumption device.

Try taking a Surface RT/2 over to an iPad-loving friend's house and give them a short demo of such a configuration. The reaction is priceless.

mauricio borgarello

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I got a surface rt 64gb about a month ago (got a nice deal, basically I exchanged it for an Asus transformer tab that I was barely using). Having seen many "professional" reviews I had relatively low expectations, but damn I was wrong. The surface RT is a great product, period. It's much more than the usual tablet thanks to the convination of software and design. I use it as my portable office with the touch cover, and it has proven an excellent companion. I know that the processor is far from excellent, but still I wouldn't change it for a budget W8 tablet. The build quality and the combination of the kickstand with the touch/type cover makes up for the limitations of windows rt. The only thing that really bothers me is not being able to use itunes, not being able to connect my ipod classic. Other than that the Surface RT does everything I want it to do, and everyday things better as the store expands. Waiting anxious for the third generation!!!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The desktop is the best part of RT, IMO. It is what sets the Surface apart from the iPad. Seriously, without the desktop, the Surface is little more than a large Windows Phone (that doesn't have as wide a selection of software as WP). If you have ever used a Surface RT/2 with a 2nd display and used Office on the desktop with Modern UI apps on the Surface screen (or visa versa) you would know why the desktop is a vital part of the Surface experience.

The Surface is a serious productivity device in addition to a casual consumption device.

Try taking a Surface RT/2 over to an iPad-loving friend's house and give them a short demo of such a configuration. The reaction is priceless.

I dont mean the functionality is useless. I mean the scitzhophrenic feeling of having two OS's cramped in to the same device. With the RT it does not make any sense. Everything should be running from the modern side....

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
What do you think the Surface 3 will be like?
hehe... that was 2 months ago. I originally thought that the Surface 3 would be of a higher build quality than the 2. The RT was clearly (at least to me) a well-considered and thought-out hardware design. A design that can only be achieved by taking time. The Surface 2 appeared to me to be a rushed upgrade. I originally thought that the Surface 3 would exceed the quality of the original RT.

From a hardware perspective, I am still of that opinion. But after watching the //build/ conference keynote (and the complete lack of reference to Windows RT), I am beginning to wonder if the Surface 3 will include an ARM processor... or a BayTrail running full Windows. After extensive experience with Windows RT I've come to the conclusion that there are no benefits of WinRT over full Windows. RT isn't more robust. RT doesn't have a lighter footprint.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
But assuming they want to somewhat use the same codebase for phones and tablets, and just tweak UI settings based on display size, they need to be able to target more than the Intel chipsets. So they are going to have to weed out some of their platform-dependant code.

-E

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Desktop on RT needs to go away. All the crucial things that are on the Desktop can and should be ported to a modern app. THEN, start stripping away all the code and resources used to drive the thick Desktop.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Desktop on RT needs to go away. All the crucial things that are on the Desktop can and should be ported to a modern app. THEN, start stripping away all the code and resources used to drive the thick Desktop.

I agree now that other full-windows tablets are about the same price, but Microsoft has a long ways to go to get there. And not with the current Surface form factor, which is really designed around making the desktop usable.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you don't use the desktop and external displays.

If you think that the footprint of Windows RT is greatly influenced by the presence of the desktop, then you are mistaken.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
hehe... that was 2 months ago. I originally thought that the Surface 3 would be of a higher build quality than the 2. The RT was clearly (at least to me) a well-considered and thought-out hardware design. A design that can only be achieved by taking time. The Surface 2 appeared to me to be a rushed upgrade. I originally thought that the Surface 3 would exceed the quality of the original RT.

From a hardware perspective, I am still of that opinion. But after watching the //build/ conference keynote (and the complete lack of reference to Windows RT), I am beginning to wonder if the Surface 3 will include an ARM processor... or a BayTrail running full Windows. After extensive experience with Windows RT I've come to the conclusion that there are no benefits of WinRT over full Windows. RT isn't more robust. RT doesn't have a lighter footprint.

Take a look at this: AdDuplex Blog: Quick Glance at Windows 8 Device Ecosystem

I am sure the RT numbers reflect the heavy sales that MS effected for the 1st Gen Surface devices. I think there will be a Surface 3 (RT) and it will be one which will be dominated by (1) a Modern UI version of Office; (2) an inking capability/ pen (actually, tbh, I am hoping the second is the case because if it is so, the Surface 3 will be an amazing device); (3) it will also be a platform to show the integration of the Win Phone OS and the RT OS.

Goes without saying all my observations are conjectural - some a bit more than others.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Surface…

Had an old computer purchased a Compaq Armada 1500 (which broke and with Compaq CarePaq was upgraded to a Compaq Armada 1700, then upgraded to the 1750), it started with Windows 95 (OSR2), upgraded to Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, then to Windows 2000 then to Windows XP.
So I have had this old computer (1750) for over 18 Years… The screen is now tinted reddish/pink it is 300Mhz but has 64M plus 256M added for 320M of ram, 20G hard drive, the case is cracked and worn… Windows XP is no longer supported but still patches (have OEM settings for POS systems)… Still sort of works…

As I have been looking and waiting…

Wallmart has an in store price of $179 (in store is said $229, went on web on internal Walmart computer and they matched the price) on a clearance Surface 64G…

MicroCenter has MicroSD cards (bulk) for cheap prices, but work well for storage got a few 32G ones ($12.99 each), also they had a clearance charcoal grey Type Cover 2 for $90.96, reduced again to $79.99. A Surface Wireless Adapter for Cover $49.99, reduced by $10 (turns the Type Cover 2 into a blue tooth keyboard). Had an Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition for $55.96 on clearance but it was defective (blue tooth did not work, although the mouse did react to touch and the blue light blinked, could not get it to emit any blue tooth signal). Tried a Microsoft USB Ethernet Adapter for $39.99 (but as Microsoft has modified it to be a USB 3 device it will not work on the Surface).

Best Buy has 8GB Cruzer Glide USB on sale for $4.99 (picked up two, used to back up the recovery drive one for Windows RT 8, one for Windows RT 8.1, although I have let the recovery partition remain, assume they will update it again with the next version of Windows RT 10). Went back to Best Buy they had the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition (open box) for $59.99 and I picked up a Belkin USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter ($29.99)…

Staples had a clearance ZAGG MS Surface SC for $19.99…

So my total Microsoft Surface RT cost ($179+$79.99+$59.99+$49.99+$19.99) was $388.96 plus tax (I did not count the MicroSD/USB parts costs as I can use them for other things if I wish)…

Wow this Surface took a few days to update/patch/firmware/update…

Now it is faster than the Windows XP box, it does IE 11, outlook, notepad, one note, excel, some lite games, Halo, solitaire, etc…

I am supper happy and glad to be an owner of a Surface, for those debating I like having the desktop, with 8.1 I have it go to the desktop by default, love this selection, would not have gotten the Surface if it could not have done that…

Now waiting to upgrade to Surface 2 when they go on clearance…

Owner of a lot of clearance devices, HP Touchpad, HP Touchpad 4G, HP Touchpad Go, HP Pre3, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi

Typed in Microsoft Word 2013 on the Surface...

Last edited:

lala042883

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I got the 64gb with touch cover keyboard and I love mine it does everything I need it to do and its very portable

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a second hand Surface RT (1) 32GB for 150€ to replace my sold Nexus 7 2013.
Surface 2 RT new goes from 350 to 400 ish €'s here (Portugal) so I think I made a good choice.

Sure I'd love some 1080p screen but other than that, I guess they are just the same with a litle performance difference.

Now time to play around with the machine. Anything you guys feel like recommending?

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a second hand Surface RT (1) 32GB for 150€ to replace my sold Nexus 7 2013.
Surface 2 RT new goes from 350 to 400 ish €'s here (Portugal) so I think I made a good choice.

Sure I'd love some 1080p screen but other than that, I guess they are just the same with a litle performance difference.

Now time to play around with the machine. Anything you guys feel like recommending?

First, if you can reset to factory default, then update, update, update, I find second hand devices best to start from scratch, then once that is done, it depends on your preference, I have my Surface RT 64G still with the recovery partition, others remove it to save space (and if the previous owner already removed it Microsoft has a Windows 8 USB download, that can rebuild it, then you can upgrade to 8.1), I then have tweaked my device to go straight to the desktop, as I use office 95% of the time, when I play I use the metro apps (as that is all one can use on RT), I love the design of the device, I have inked on it I use a Targus Slim Stylus (bought two), they come in different colors. You will want a keyboard (if it did not come with one), if you have a store that sold Surface devices in Portugal, see if they have any out of box, or refurbished ones, I found one that a customer returned (out of box) it works great, can cost half as much as new and it still has a warrantee (also go the Surface Arc Touch Mouse this way)... Once you get the hardware out of the way, I also got a case (I had to look online), found one that allows you to use the kickstand, folds up like a book uses velco to secure the device. It is a great device and I love the design, I agree the price is the reason I went with the Surface RT as well, Microsoft created a great hybrid device, they just did not price it to the market.

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

The device was bought from a friend so it already came factory reseted and with Win 8.1 RT.
I'll mainly use it for some media consumption, web browsing and some office stuff while at University.

Ardiva

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
My son got me a Surface 2 RT 64GB for Christmas (2014). I really like it. Got some apps from the store for it as well and I'm happy. :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte