Domains on RT

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there any technical reason that Microsoft doesn't support domains on Windows RT? Or do they just want to force you to get a Surface Pro that has half the battery life and costs much more?

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I have wondered this too. I'm not sure if it's just because they haven't done all the development work to implement all the pieces needed, whether this is a deliberate strategy, or whether it was a lot of work and so they decided not to do it ....

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. My hope would be that they get all this working, but it may be something we see in a major update to RT. RT is not a smashing success right now, and I'm sure it's a toss-up between continuing to develop RT or hoping that Intel can come good with their chips. It's a critical decision as it could lead to RT users getting left out in the cold some time in the future.

If I had to bet I would say that it's coming ... but maybe not as quickly as we'd all like.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Domains are not supported in home versions of windows. So I guess the same question applies there - are there real technical hurdles there or does MS just want us to pay another $90 for the pro version?

While I can live with this in Windows 8 (or 7, XP), I think that this is a dumb limitation on RT. To me one of the huge draws of the Surface RT is improved portability through improved battery life. If they are artificially crippling it, I am going to be p*****!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Simple reason. RT does not support x86 code. Domains running login scripts would fail if there were x86 programs being run, or GPOs that forced software installs. It could be done but would require infrastructure changes in Server products to accommodate.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So the reason that this came up is that my wife just got a Surface RT to use as a portable laptop replacement. She will leave her regular laptop in her docking station at her desk and use the Surface when she is away - meetings, travel, etc. She can do everything that she might need to do on the Surface, except for access her company's share point site.

It's hard for me to beleive that this is a limitation of the ARM chip becuase, she can access the site on our ipad. Is there any workaround here?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So the reason that this came up is that my wife just got a Surface RT to use as a portable laptop replacement. She will leave her regular laptop in her docking station at her desk and use the Surface when she is away - meetings, travel, etc. She can do everything that she might need to do on the Surface, except for access her company's share point site.

It's hard for me to beleive that this is a limitation of the ARM chip becuase, she can access the site on our ipad. Is there any workaround here?

It appears that RT does not support internally hosted SharePoint. Working with Sharepoint 2010 and Office Web Apps 2010 on Surface RT and Office RT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers