Amazon Instant Video

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
When using the browser, you don't have the sort of instant gratification that you can get by using the Search charm to immediately pull up what you want to see.

That being said, it does work in the browser. However, for some content, you can only view the HD versions in an app, and not in the browser.

At one point, Microsoft did show an icon for Instant Video on their start screen for a demo they did (which I can't find a picture of at the moment, sorry), but they didn't actually open the app. So my guess is that it's coming, but who knows when.

Edit: Actually, wait, now that I'm trying it again, it's telling me that Flash needs to be updated for Instant Video streaming to work at all.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope they get this soon because I like all the video apps and I have tv I have purchased through amazon.

Why would you expect there to be an Amazon Instant Video app anytime soon when Amazon hasn't even released one for general Android devices? Amazon certainly doesn't appear to have any issues with developing for Windows RT since they had Store and Kindle apps pretty much out of the gate. Since Amazon Instant Video works in both the Modern and Desktop versions of IE though, I really doubt you will see a stand alone app in the foreseeable future.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
When using the browser, you don't have the sort of instant gratification that you can get by using the Search charm to immediately pull up what you want to see.

That being said, it does work in the browser. However, for some content, you can only view the HD versions in an app, and not in the browser.

At one point, Microsoft did show an icon for Instant Video on their start screen for a demo they did (which I can't find a picture of at the moment, sorry), but they didn't actually open the app. So my guess is that it's coming, but who knows when.

Edit: Actually, wait, now that I'm trying it again, it's telling me that Flash needs to be updated for Instant Video streaming to work at all.

Just tried a couple movies and videos and they still worked on my tablet. If I plug the tablet into my TV via the HDMI port, I can also play the HD versions....

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Why would you expect there to be an Amazon Instant Video app anytime soon when Amazon hasn't even released one for general Android devices? Amazon certainly doesn't appear to have any issues with developing for Windows RT since they had Store and Kindle apps pretty much out of the gate. Since Amazon Instant Video works in both the Modern and Desktop versions of IE though, I really doubt you will see a stand alone app in the foreseeable future.

I would expect it because Amazon has released apps for Roku and Xbox360. A Windows 8 app would allow them to integrate Xbox Smartglass functionality and better searching through the search charm. I'm not sure making an Android app would attract as many new customers as a Windows 8 app would due to the added functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos